Tierods (tapping)

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Tierods (tapping)

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Look at the current string on power steering for some more discussion as I threw so of this discussion in it by mistake.

Lee
mlrailguy

Post by mlrailguy »

got a link?
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 2&start=60

Start at towards the bottom of page 5 and onto page 6. We were talking about power steering but I kind of got the two mixed as some of the problems with steering. both stock and power, kind of intersect at times.

Locating the steering box in the center of the beam is what is posing some of the problems both types of steering whether it is with a stock beam in a stock frame head or on a rail.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

There are always other was of doing things such as your suggestion but there are other times you can have limitations also. You have to look into everything before you make a choice too. I did look into the "circle track" part options and i might be able to use something like that for a non-steering problem I have. Its been since the late 50s and early 60s since I was around jalopies and California Sprints... a long time ago and things have changed a lot.

Lee

Cleaned up some errors that spell check on my tablet made (I hate the spell check there, it is a raging battle then it changes wording and spelling when I hit the "send" button. :evil: (grrr))
Last edited by Ol'fogasaurus on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

I bought mine stuff from Speedway, a huge circle track supplier.

Two Ford tie rod ends, two threaded rods and two heims for the spindles.

Good stuff too!

I think aluminum rods are available but I bought plated steel.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

If I get a chance I'm going to talk to an auto machinist friend (and a VW guy) today on this subject. My question is on a bit different version of this subject but still similar enough to ask questions.

Lee
Sandbar Norm

Post by Sandbar Norm »

bajaherbie wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:47 am I bought mine stuff from Speedway, a huge circle track supplier.

Two Ford tie rod ends, two threaded rods and two heims for the spindles.

Good stuff too!

I think aluminum rods are available but I bought plated steel.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
Same for me.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Just got back and as far as the rod ends he had no real opinion. He did talk me into moving the pivots for the Truss style bar towards the center a bit more to take some of the angle out. Part of the no opinion was that he runs swing axle rail with a single brace bar horizontally so they only worry about up and down so that bar takes care of that. Apparently the swing axle stops the side to side and figure 8/rumba/Congo line part of the movement of the frame/pickle forks that you can get with IRS.

He also mentioned starting with a 28mm bar over the stock bar where I used the ACVW or the V6.