cnc slave adjustment for clutch

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
mlrailguy

cnc slave adjustment for clutch

Post by mlrailguy »

Tried doing search here, but wasn't having much luck. I've got the CNC pedal setup in my buggy. The clutch seems hard to push and the clutch engages right off the floor. Maybe my legs are too short and I just can't push pedal far enough in? What kind of adjustments can I do here? The reservoir is a little low.?
dustymojave

Re: cnc slave adjustment for clutch

Post by dustymojave »

The slave cylinder has adjustments on both ends. Should be a wing nut at the throwout arm. Then another nut for adjustment at the opposite end where the slave cylinder anchors.

There should be a little play at the pedal, but then it should start moving the throwout arm. You might do a travel test by having a helper depress the pedal all the way, then putting a crescent wrench on the end of the throwout arm and trying to push the top of the arm forward more. If it goes much farther, then you need to adjust the nuts to make the slave cylinder effectively shorter.

It IS possible for those threaded shafts to screw out of the slave cylinder. They should be installed with red Loc-Tite. The threaded rods into the slave cylinder...Not the nuts on the rods.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

IMG_0282.JPG
IMG_0283.JPG
Notice the different threaded lengths in the two slave cylinders. I think this is what Dusty was talking about.

How much free-play do you have on the clutch arm before the throw-out bearing before the bearing comes into contact with the pressure plate/clutch cover; in my Haynes manual, for a bug, the table says 1/2' to 3/4" for free play at the clutch pedal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mlrailguy

Post by mlrailguy »

The top end was already tightened as far as it would go, so I started taking up slack on other end. Feels better just idling in garage and shifting thru the gears. Will know better tomorrow once out hitting the dunes
mlrailguy

Post by mlrailguy »

By the way Ol'fogasaurus , that is an awesome pic for reference. Thanks !
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

:wink: :)