Michigan Insurance for buggy

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
joeweber

Michigan Insurance for buggy

Post by joeweber »

For Years I have been getting my insurance through Progressive for my street legal sand rail. This year progressive said they would not insure dune buggies in Michigan anymore. So I have been looking for insurance for my buggy so I can get tags for my plates and found none. I have gone to companies that deal with insuring buggies and as soon as they find I am from Michigan they say they can not help me. Does anybody know where I can go to get insurance for my Michigan street legal sand rail. Please help. The buggy season is running out of time.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Michigan Insurance for buggy

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Did they tell you why specifically not in Michigan all of a sudden? Has there been a change in allowing street legal rails? I'd sure find out what the reason is.

addition: I have also been hearing some noises about insurance companies suddenly not insuring certain types of titles such as rebuilt/totaled or state issued titles; I definitely would get to the bottom of this in case your state has changed the laws. If you have direct access to where you get your plates, inspections done, do a search on the States posted rules or call someone in the state licensing dept. who knows the rules and rule that part of the problem out. This is something I have done in the state I live in several times to know what if any changes have happened or are in process.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

It's not only in michigan. I was told by Geico that they would not insure my rail because it is rebuilt after being reported to carfax as totaled. The Hartford is probably still butt hurt after their customer did a drunk, hit and run on me. I did retain a lawyer for a fair settlement. 2 weeks ago a local was told by Geico they would no longer insure state issued vin's, modified chassis, modified suspension, or modified body panels. Please keep us updated with your results, mine should be road worthy in the next month or two. Thanks, chuck.
joeweber

Post by joeweber »

I talked to the state insurance commission and they said they did not know of any change in the law for this action. I was told by insurance companies that the risk does not meet the profit for these vehicles. It may also have to do with side by sides trying to get road plates and insurance. I would think that they would just raise the rates extremely high instead of just not insuring them.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

joeweber wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:01 am I talked to the state insurance commission and they said they did not know of any change in the law for this action. I was told by insurance companies that the risk does not meet the profit for these vehicles. It may also have to do with side by sides trying to get road plates and insurance. I would think that they would just raise the rates extremely high instead of just not insuring them.
Joe, you and cbeck are saying just about the same thing I said I was hearing about. In the state I live in now the SXS can get street licenses (the companies that built them and the dealers got together and petitioned the state... and [$$$] won) but they are very severely (supposedly) restricted to places and to posted speed limits (I think I was told it was 35 mph) they can travel and that is usually around state or private riding areas and the town very close by... assuming the towns allow them.

Street rails were legal at one time but many years ago that was stopped for many reasons mostly they were being stupidly abused in many ways. Fog, rain, water spray caused them to disappear on the road (WA and I am sure that you in Michigan have a similar problem with the weather you have) and they usually didn't do well in a wreck with larger vehicles and small dogs :wink: . They are also trying to stop the glass buggies which has been going on since the time they stopped the street rails. I had a state patroller get up on my trailer (he asked permission and seemed to be a car guy) but when he saw the turning brakes on it things changed. He pointed at them and told me he had better not catch "them" on the street and yes, I am well aware of the reason why.

Do some calling around to insurance companies or independent agents. Some might be able to help you out... assuming they have all of your insurance (that is how I got off-road only insurance that is required in OR) covered by them.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.