Front trailing arms

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
4lwdboy

Front trailing arms

Post by 4lwdboy »

Hey everyone I'm hoping that you can help me out I'm wondering what sizes front trailing arms pivots come in besides stock link pin just to be clear I'm talking about the part of the arms that go inside the beam
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Front trailing arms

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I'm not a 100% on this but I think the bug through '68, type 3 (not sure of the years), Thing (I seem to remember the early ones may have had K&L) and bus (not sure of the years) are pretty much the same as far as the part that slides into the beam.

Since both the K&L trailing arms will fit into BJ beams (but without internal mods to the beam to use them) and visa-versa, that is probably about as far as it goes.

What are you trying to do might be the question next as your question opens up a lot of other questions that someone might be able to help with.
4lwdboy

Post by 4lwdboy »

Thanks for the reply! I really do appreciate the help but what I meant was for aftermarket arms for coil overs I have a 12 over parallel space beam and I'm trying to find the 4 inch over arms that fit it I was told that arms with that fit into the stock pivot are too small letter has the bushings with the right OD 1.75 but no info on ID.....I apologise for not being more clear with my original question
4lwdboy

Post by 4lwdboy »

Damn auto correct got me lol I mean kartek not letter
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Not a problem. Questions both ways sometimes bring out the real questions.

I wish I could help you more but our rails are more towards stock and the buggies are more for cruisn' hence more towards stock than long travel.

I'll do some looking to see if I can find anything.

https://www.kartek.com/parts-categories ... -arms.html

I think what he is talking about from Kartek is this.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I got thinking about what you were talking about and got curious and looked at sleeves (https://www.kartek.com/parts-categories ... hings.html). Notice that there are different sizes of inner and outer sleeves.

The guys I know that go for longer travel run up to about 12"s of travel then go to IFS for more travel. I haven't talked to them about whether they are still using the stock roller bearings or remove them and run sleeves.

I just looked at some of the pictures I have and the couple of rails with longer travel do use sleeves. This one does not use coilovers but still uses splines.

I don't know if that is of any help but for what it is worth.
4lwdboy

Post by 4lwdboy »

Thanks for taking the time to do some research I do believe you at right it's all in the bushings/sleeve once again thank you 😁
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

On mine the beam ID is 1.75" and my arms have a 1.5" OD and I use Delrin bushings in them.

Ed
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I got looking again at the pix I posted and the rail does use through rods and air shocks. I was more concerned about the bushings than what else was in the picture :roll: .
4lwdboy

Post by 4lwdboy »

No1Clyde can you possibly post a picture?
4lwdboy

Post by 4lwdboy »

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Dood! :lol:
4lwdboy

Post by 4lwdboy »

They are pricey though
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Not nearly as pricey as Fodrill arms....
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting