Buggy project - what to fix first

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Class 11 streeter

Re: Buggy project - what to fix first

Post by Class 11 streeter »

Silly update here! I am gathering replacement wheels/tires for the wide 5 buggy roller and 5/4.5" buggy trailer. As fate would have it I am tripping over 4 lug wheel sets at home but no spare wide 5 sets available. Trailer and buggy are on flat dryrotted radials that just 'flat' wont hold air (hee hee). I used my cargo trailer wheels/tires for getting the buggy trailer home. Next I bought new tires for the cargo trailer so the buggy trailer gets the old cargo tires. Silly update I know but its sumthin'.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Check your schraider valves on old tires 8) (snicker).
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

USAA, talk to them.
Class 11 streeter

Ok, another brief update. After some deliberation I have decided to go the SPCNS way here in California and an aftermarket pan. I have reached out to Dave Barrett about one of his Condor chassis and he has replied. For now, this weekend is the first of 3 weekend VW shows/swap meets my crew goes to. More later. Stay strong STF!
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I like the looks of Dave Barrett's chassis'. It will be interesting to follow the build and options from there up.

Lee
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

I have a few smoothies out in the back yard if you find yourself in need. Ugly, rusty...but usable for making it a roller. I can PM you address and phone if you want.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Class 11 streeter

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:37 am I like the looks of Dave Barrett's chassis'. It will be interesting to follow the build and options from there up.

Lee
Thanks for the interest. Last weekend was the 3rd weekend in a row of VW related swap meets in So Cal that my crew supported so it's finally back to "me/buggy" time.
Class 11 streeter

dustymojave wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:49 pm I have a few smoothies out in the back yard if you find yourself in need. Ugly, rusty...but usable for making it a roller. I can PM you address and phone if you want.
Hey Richard it's appreciated but I think I have it covered. Just need to get to it!
Class 11 streeter

Ok, managed to make some progress - by buying another buggy! This showed up on CL a few days ago and I was smitten. Its all the stuff I wanted in one package and the asking was cheaper than building. More later!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Nice buggy Monte!

Pretty similar to how I plan to build my Glitterbug.

Is it an El Lobito? Or El Lobo, Or Lido, whichever you want to call it ...
Richard
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
Class 11 streeter

Hey Richard hope things are well for you. This buggy body is an Empi Imp replica from the mid 2000s. Remember Unique Supply in Redlands? One of those.

Now, about your Glitterbug project, you know that name means a bitchin metalflake paint job is mandatory, right?
TimS

Post by TimS »

Nice find! Package deal turn key is nice.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

uhhhh...yeahhhh.....sorta

In spite of the name, the original Glitterbug basic colors were non-metalflake, non metallic. Metallic colors or metalflakes were extra cost. Mine started out as red metalflake. Because it was originally red metalflake, I'd kinda like to restore that metalflake finish. Even though I really never have liked metalflake. That would have to come after all fabrication work and bodywork is done. It would mean priming the whole body, then spraying silver base, then candy red, then metalflake with candy red, then more candy red, Then clear gel coat over all. WHOLE LOTTA WORK! Especially for a desert buggy. Maybe we could could practice on your Imp. :twisted: Bwah-Ha-Ha!!!

Once upon a time, the Manson gang used to steal VWs in the San Fernando Valley, strip them down, buy Glitterbug bodies and build and sell the finished buggies. Kinda spooky they were regular customers at a place I went to within a mile of my home...
Richard
Retired Fabricator
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

A better than average start for sure! Body lift and what looks to be almost everything. Going to save a lot of money and time assuming everything checks out OK. It looks like it either has an external frame (or part of) like you were talking about at one time or it is an extension from the outside of the pan's body mount tunnel that there could be of some support for side hit protection.

Are you going to blow it apart to check things or has it checked out OK for sure.

Lee
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

That's exactly the sort of external framework I was trying to suggest to you for your black buggy, Lee. And it's just what I plan for mine. The uprights of a roll cage that stand inside the body can bolt through the fiberglass to connect the external structure to the cage.

On Monte's buggy, it looks like they punched through the top edge of the body to connect the cage to the external structure.
Richard
Retired Fabricator