Manx build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
jg210302

Re: Manx build

Post by jg210302 »

Been talking with a BUNCH of people and it is looking like I will go with a Weddle HV25... So far looks like the most bang for the buck in a 5 speed that can be made with streetable ratios. Here is the question of the day, at what weight would you guys go with a ventilated disk setup up front? ProAm makes a pretty bitchen setup, but I have only seen it on big cars and it is big money... Or do you think a standard 4 piston setup all of the way around would be fine?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Wilwood makes many calipers with other companies names on them...

The biggest $$$ variable is what spindles/hubs you need.

...Also depends if you are in love with vw 5x205 bolt pattern or if the more standard 5x5 will work for you.
Steel wheels in most offsets and widths in 5x5 with or without beadlock rings are available, spun aluminum as well.

If you are considering the hollow front spindle setups, think "circle track".

The us "wide 5" setup (5x10.5") has many options, including hubs for the short or long 2" and short 2 7/8" spindles

5x5 is also available for most of those.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

So now the plan is an LS and the Weddle HV25... I know that for the purists I am blowing it, but it will still be a VW pan and will be registered as a VW!
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

You are a sick man!
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

Yes I am! Looks like I found a 6.0L all aluminum LS for a song and a dance... So the biggest expense is definitely going to be the transaxle... Looks like I will be ordering these next week...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

Here we go, Thanks to Alex at Method!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

Ok, some progress... Body is out of the mold and waiting for polishing...
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

Almost have all of the front layout completed...
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

Front A Arms.jpg
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

So who is designing the front end?
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

It is nothing too crazy, I don't have that crazy of a budget... Everything is pretty much a collaboration, do you see something we are doing wrong? You got me worried now!
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

No.... I am not the one to judge that stuff. Way over my head. That's why I own a beam car LOL
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

What program are you using for CAD? Different CAD programs allow different things (including the program conversion to make the dataset talk to machines). C++ w/Boolean logic does allow additional things to be done in a similar method because so much additional information is brought over when you drag and drop something on to your design.

On your upper arm I think I have seen what or something like what you are doing by wrapping the arm around the shock vs. running the shock between the arms and the triangle dimensional design. Depending on the program used you could get an analysis of the loading differences between the two styles of design.

I haven't played with or looked into the new uni-ball design that might be used so I can't help there (for example: https://www.kartek.com/parts-categories ... nents.html.

This is interesting looking at the different A-arm designs especially the ones with the ball almost in line with one of the pivots: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=uniball+suspension

I know a couple of people who use them but no pictures with me right now; I think they were longer travel arms. Remind me next week and I will try to find them.

I went back to the first page and I think you said that you were going to beat the what ever out of it (what ever that means as there are different levels of working something hard and what they mean to one person vs. what that means to someone else can be quite different). One of the other designs I see on rail (I'm not at home so no pix) is more like the MII style with a third part that connects to the lower arm then closer to the firewall which might be good for heavy landings, something more like landing front suspension first or bumping onto large rocks.

Lee
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

We are both using SolidWorks and it does allow for F.E.A. which I did just for fun... It all looks good! The J-arm is a proven upper arm design that this fabricator helping me has used in the past. The geometry is proven and allows for a better package space wise... I would also prefer to locate some of the weight as far forward as possible due to the heavy rear engine configuration...

I did look at the uniball setup and thought about going that way, but until the handling is the way I like it and placement of everything is finalized I went cheap... This will probably be modified a couple times before I am happy with it and then I can convert it if needed?
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I took some front end pix today on some rails I know of but won't post them unless you want them.

A lot of toys out on the dunes right now.

I am aware of Solid Works but never used it (I had to look up F.E.A. as I don't remember hearing of that acronym). We ended up using a couple of other CAD programs but I don't know who made the decisions as to which ones we ended up with. Our C++ w/B was aided by Metaphase of Canada but I don't think they ended up using them.

Lee