Manx build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
jg210302

Re: Manx build

Post by jg210302 »

Absolutely, you actually just got me thinking about it again... Need to get to work!
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Yes you do!
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

So here is a question for you guys, what do you think about 3X3 vs 3X5 arms? (by the way this is your fault CWB!) I am hesitant to go the whole micro stub route because I already have disc brakes that are brand new... Looking at these http://www.mooreparts.com/usa-made-mild ... tub-axles/

Or should I just bite the bullet and go 3X5 or 5x5 with micro stubs and try to sell my current parts?
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Before you pulled the trigger on those arms I would recommend you talk with Dave Brown up in Oregon. Lots of guys here including myself have bought his arms and run them. PM me for his info if you like.

As for the rest of the question that really depends on the end goal as has most of the things we have discussed on your project. Real easy for me to spend your money and say do 5x5 or 6x6 microstub arms and killer ProAm or Jamar ProX hubs and just go strait for the all-in push (Well almost all-in because I did not say do 934 mid boards haha) but if that is not the end goal then that is way overkill. Me, yes I am already looking at upgrading my hubs brakes ect front and rear so I get a little lost in what is good enough. However that said, we have a set of 3x3 arms that will go in the old school car as its end goal is different then my new car goal.

Now to expand on the topic 3x3 and stock pivot geometry are ok but if you are thinking about going up a notch to 5x5 or 6x6 you should at least think about going to a different pivot housing with a little better inner pivot geometry. In a nutshell you will have way less camber change through the cycle if those inner pivots have less angle then the stock ones. If you do talk with Dave about arms, he explains it very well and yes you will want 6x6 and better geometry after that conversation and you will be cussing at CWB even more LOl but it will come back to the end goal which I get it as I will have two different cars eventually with two different end goals.
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

LMAO! I see what you are doing! I just emailed you!
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I think Dave Brown is the guy most of the guys I know go to also. What thou dosest to the rear thou hast to modify the front to accommodate the other changes.
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

Well thanks for the referral guys!
I have been emailing back and forth with Dave and I think we are starting to get a plan together!!!
Sounds like I will be gathering more parts for this build here soon! In case you can't tell, I am starting to get excited again...
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

Oh and Lee, that is the plan. Dave is super helpful in making recommendations for the front also...
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I went back through the string and when I got to the adapter to hold the K&L beam into the BJ frame head that spacer is probably going to off-set some of the distance of the longer trailing arms do by moving the spindles rearwards shortening the wheel base somewhat. I don't remember seeing if you were going to do it with the adapter but it is an idea.

The other thing is there is/was an adapter beam that puts K&L suspension into a BJ spaced frame head. Here are some ideas for the beam installation like you did but including the adapter beam I was talking about. http://vw.zenseeker.net/FrontSuspension.htm
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

It looks like I will be going with 5X5 dual pivot arms and possibly converting to a-arm... I will be cutting the frame head off and tying into the cage.
Here are some pictures...
IMG_1988.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Interesting to say the least.

What is the plate below the frame head change; a skid plate or structure? If structure, or even a skid plate, I talked about shear plates and structure in '68 Baja's string and, modified (e.g., the flanges going up instead of down), might be good for a skid plate also
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Ooooh do I spy a front sway bar that is able to be disengaged using a 4x4 hub lock? Who A-arm is that?
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

Yeah, I noticed that too... It is a design that Dave is building now...
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

So just spoke with Dave again today and it looks like I should have my 5X5 arms fairly soon... They are for factory torsion tube geometry, with micro stubs, and have a 4" lift built into them. I would expect that I should be able to get about 18+ inches out of it?
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

Does anyone have experience with Gray Area components? http://www.gryarea.com/
It looks like I will be going with their micro stub and 2" hollow front spindle setup with 4 piston calipers all of the way around?
GAT1208smaller.jpg
GAT1209_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.