Manx build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
dustymojave

Re: Manx build

Post by dustymojave »

In California you CANNOT legally re-use a VIN. If the vehicle has dropped out of the list, like my friend's pan buggy that dates back to about 1965, they applied a NEW number to a sticker tag they applied.

If the pan with VIN is not constantly registered or, in Cali, placed on a non-op, it would have to get a new VIN.

I suggest you get your pan registration all totally legal and up to date BEFORE you start modifying it.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

IF you get the pan inspected and able to license before you shouldn't have to do it once the build is done would you?
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Leatherneck wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:03 pm IF you get the pan inspected and able to license before you shouldn't have to do it once the build is done would you?
Aaaah Haaa! Now you stuck your tootsies' into the Catch 22 area. Depending on various things you may not be able to do this if they vehicle isn't complete, running or any one of the other variables that scammers do such as putting nefarious parts on it later. The inspectors are too used to being scammed so they now are smart and want to see the finished product.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Yes they do. So it's best to take them a running car to register in your name.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

Luckily I already have it registered and insured as a '69 VW bug... So I think I am safe as long as I can keep the VIN on the tunnel still?
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

The little things nickel and dime you to death...
Heims Smaller.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Those are not Ka-nickel and Ka-dime pieces. What for (if I couldn't guess already) :oops: ! Are they held together by cir-clips?
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

Trailing arms, Chromoly, Sealed...
Heims in Trailing Arms Small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Sealed with what?
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

They seem to have a vulcanized rubber lip on one side? Hell I am not sure, they are what was recommended to me, it is another area I need to gain knowledge on now, I am going to have a bunch more soon...
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Oh gotcha i thought you meant the Cmoly arms were coated one of these new fangled coatings.
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

No I was thinking about what to coat them with??? I don't want to powder coat them because of wanting to crack check them... I read a little about the weldable zinc based coatings? What are you using?
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=149864

Did you look at these pictures? I think the last one is what you are talking about/

For the trailing arm pivots and worked in the direction of the threaded shaft I have no problems with. I wasn't comfortable with it being worked in the direction that the assembly is assembled in.

If the joints are CRES/SS then you shouldn't need to paint it but then it also depends on the mix on the stainless steel.

Zinc primer I have used and I like it. Kind of thick as I remember and welding through it was... ahhhh... its been a while ago that I did it. One thing I did come up with is that it's chemical makeup affected some glues that I has spent years fighting with.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

jg210302 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:18 pm No I was thinking about what to coat them with??? I don't want to powder coat them because of wanting to crack check them... I read a little about the weldable zinc based coatings? What are you using?
I did powder coat my rear arms the fronts are raw and well rusting LOL actually I do wd-40 them and check them regularly, I did a matte black on the rear arms to help see any cracks.

There are a couple coating out worth trying I think. Steel-it is a poly based with stainless steel particles in it. Seems to be taking the off road racing world by storm. It is weldable they say and shows cracks. The other is Mavcoat I thinks its called which is a weldable clear that embeds in the metal on a molecular level (You probably understand that term better then me)
jg210302

Post by jg210302 »

I think i will just order a couple cans of Steel-it and see how it works... Luckily I have a couple media blaster cabinets that will fit the arms for prep. In fact I am going to detail then shot peen them before coating... I figure now is the time to do the detail work.