Manx build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.

Moderators: Leatherneck, rickosuave1987

Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Manx build

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:29 am

Geez, I haven't heard the term "shot peen" for years! :shock: That sounds like a great idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_peening

An interesting read especially when it deals with welds. Something I either didn't know or had forgotten about.

jg210302

Post by jg210302 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:52 am

Back in the day I learned the value of shot blasting when dealing with fabricated uprights at a little company in England called Superpower. They hand fabricated uprights for everything from F1 to rally cars... They had amazing fabricated uprights using EDM core like the picture below. Like when I worked at Pankl they used many methods of shot peen from hand to fully robotic application... Not to mention I need to prep the surface and like the way it looks!
rear-upright.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jg210302

Post by jg210302 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:01 am

Lee, on your weld topic... I am really surprised many times when I look at the amazing fabrication skills that people have and the pieces of art that they produce to find out that they do not anneal or try to reduce the residual stresses of the welds especially in Chromoly which as we all know has some interesting transition properties and likes to fracture in those areas... I guess that the amount of safety margin designed into these parts accounts for lack of treatment?

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:36 am

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=sh ... &FORM=IGRE

I think it has become a somewhat forgotten subject except in some areas where it is called for in a specification. For what you manufacture I am sure it is there but for the normal guy it is: who, what, where and when on the subject.

The URLs I posted might give some insight into the subject but it still is where can it be done or how expensive is it going to be to get setup or, could my blast cabinet be set up to do this (while I doubt it but it probably would be a question. I did a quick search on the subject and found this among other things: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=co ... &FORM=VIRE It looks close but it is looking like this is more of a shot cleaning operation than what you are talking about... or is it?).

Fun, Annealing (yes, also a forgotten subject http://www.brighthubengineering.com/man ... annealing/ both of which I have blithered about a couple of times) and shot peening, both somethings new to talk and think about.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.

jg210302

Post by jg210302 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:21 pm

It is kind of funny the old guy in the video was a friend of mine Gary that passed away last year, we have his cabinets... We use his cabinet with a mixture of steel shot and walnut shells. It performs both functions of the shot blast and of the cleaning and leaves an amazing surface finish...

dustymojave

Post by dustymojave » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:07 pm

Lack of post-weld treatment is one of the reasons that I'm not real fond of 4130 in applications like roll cages. The FAA OTOH seems to prefer oxy-acetylene gas welding fro 4130 in relatively thin wall applications like automotive roll cages. Without post weld treatment. Contrary to what is taught in welding/fab schools these days, a large HAZ seems to be preferred by the FAA. Less dramatic and sudden metallurgical transitions perhaps for less of a stress riser.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills!, but then...So does OLD AGE!!
A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech Inspection
MDR / MORE / Glen Helen BajaCup Challenge
AKA: MojaveRacer208
'58 Baja with 815K Miles and counting

CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:21 am

You got this thing ready for the Night Run or what? :wink:
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!

jg210302

Post by jg210302 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:37 am

No unfortunately, going a different direction, I have it for sale... Had some family issues come up and I need the cash more than a toy right now... The only good deal is my wife is super disappointed, so that means when I can get a new project she "should" be behind it 100%.

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:22 am

Sorry to hear about your having to sell it. I hope you took a lot of notes and pictures for future reference as, from what I could see, it had a lot of good work and good design ideas.

Lee

jg210302

Post by jg210302 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:27 pm

I already learned a ton and I am keeping the extra parts... The next one will be better!

CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:59 pm

Oh man I am sorry to hear that. I was only giving you a poke in hopes we might get to meet you. Hang on tight as life is a series of ups and downs.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!