Tube bender

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Leatherneck

Tube bender

Post by Leatherneck »

I am building a tube bender, according to the plans there is 3/4 inch gap each side of the die, with a 1 1/4" pivot pin not worried about bending but what about side to side movement? Should I tighten it up so less of a gap?
Leatherneck

Re: Tube bender

Post by Leatherneck »

This is a upright using a Hyd jack. I don't expect it to have a lot of side to side movement but with a gap it could be possible, Just want to know before welding it up.

Post by 883 »

Are different dies different thicknesses?

Spacers maybe?

Pics might help
No plan survives contact with the enemy.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

YEAH...PIcs.

I just got an email from Photobucket last night saying their site is all back up and working.

The bigger the space, the more likely to bend the shaft in between.

Whose plans are you using?
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

I can get a tape and take some pics of my bender if that will help.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

cbeck wrote:I can get a tape and take some pics of my bender if that will help.
IF you could, I have a total of 4" space with the Die leaves about 1 1/2 on each side. Here are some pics, don't want to weld it though I can put spacers on it later as the pivot bar is removable.
Bender.jpg
Bender 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

I think you are good to go with the space between die and frame. The backing die is stationary and that will keep things lined up. It seems in this design that you would want the main die to be able to move a bit from side to side, this will allow it to line up with the stationary backing die. Just my 2 cents.
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

Are you done yet?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

You'll want to leave some space so that if you want to bend a larger diameter tube at a later time the die will fit in the bender.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
cbeck

Re: old member checking in.

Post by cbeck »

Hope these help. The large part of the die has about 1/8" per side clearance between the arms and the small block is free floating with lots of pin exposed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Hey leatherneck, I accidently posted the pics in the old member thread. I blame my computer.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I moved it over here, thanks for the info, I am probably going to put some spacers in it to keep side to side movement down. Thanks!
fusername

Post by fusername »

a 1 inch pin can easily bend 1.5x.120 DOM with an inch or more unsupported on both sides. Mine has been doing it for years, although 90% of what I bend is .09 erw.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
fusername

Post by fusername »

i did sleeve mine tho so it dosn't take as much force, but I don't always use the sleeves, they just slide on and more help avoid the die rocking than actually support it
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

My pin is 1 1/4 but I will put a sleeve on like you did just to keep it centered. Thanks!