replacing rear rotor?

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
mlrailguy

replacing rear rotor?

Post by mlrailguy »

Buddy of mine had a hard landing which knocked rear wheel off! It busted the hub but rotor looks ok. It was one of the kits from CIP1 I believe. When everything is bolted back together, the rotor has a bad wobble. Have located all parts but rotor. Finally found this on CBPerformance's site and wondering if this is the same as what the kits use?

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDet ... tCode=4606
Leatherneck

Re: replacing rear rotor?

Post by Leatherneck »

Have any pics of what your looking at replacing?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Its possible you have a bent stub axle instead, it might not be the rotor.

Its probably just a Porsche 914/4 rear rotor, and that rotor from CB is equivalent...
But you may be able to get one locally cheaper, given CBs inflated shipping charges.

If the wobble is small, it can be turned, certainly wouldn't hurt to take them to local FLAPS and have them checked for true.

A hard enough hit to break a hub is plenty hard enough to bend a stub axle.
The rotor is cast iron--- like the hubs, they tend to break, not bend.

The stub axle is very good German forged steel, and will bend before it breaks.
Unless its an EMPI stub axle...It will break in half given any excuse.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Based on what you said by a hard landing look at the rotor and axle nut individually. What you are looking for is the axle nut to be bent; exacerbated as you rotate the axle.

On a landing as hard as you said: if your rig is IRS then a bent stub axle is not out of the question as well as damage to any of the bearings or spacers inside of the trailing arm also; assuming that it is IRS. If it turns out to be a bent stub axle then also look at the trailing arm especially if it is a stock/un-boxed trailing arm. A lot of off-road jump landings onto all four wheels simultaniously is not always the norm especially as you have indicated by the only the one braking setup being damaged so I would also recommend that if you haven't done it, check the front spindles for being straight also.

If it is swing then a bent axle is a potential also.
mlrailguy

Post by mlrailguy »

Yes it is IRS. I had a spare stub axle I gave him, not sure if he has put that in yet. Will do more looking into this. Thanks guys