Rear trailing arm lift?

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Ratt

Rear trailing arm lift?

Post by Ratt »

I've been working on a Thing project for a while. I just installed a sweet set of Thing lift spindles on the front for 3" of lift. Now In the rear I've got 2x2 rear arms theoretically that should give me 2" in the rear with the longer arms at stock angle, right? I found a place to get lift plates for the rear, to level out the suspension. But do I need to go with 2" or 3" in the rear and what's the best way to figure it out. I want to avoid notching the plates as much as possible

Anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks
Andrew
TimS

Re: Rear trailing arm lift?

Post by TimS »

Your limit will be not so much the arms but the cv joints. 2x2 arms will be two inches longer and two inches wider but will not directly translate into lift. A longer axle will Allow your available cv angle to produce more travel.

You can adjust for more lift by readjusting the torsion bars in any setup until your cv's start to talk back to you.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

A good reply Tim.

Just for giggles take a piece of paper and turn it on its side then, using a ruler or straight edge draw a horizontal line across the paper. Mark a point at and end then draw a parallel line to the first line say an inch away.

Then putting your ruler at the zero point of the ruler or a use a compass draw a 6 inch arc or line to where it intersects with the second line then draw a line from the point to the intersection. Then, using the same point draw a line about 8 inches long again were the longer line crosses the second line and draw a line. Notice the angle difference between the two angled lines. The height did not change but the angle of the lines did.

Also remember that there are two arcs that the axle is traveling through.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

I just notched my spring plates 1/8 and gained 1.75" droop with type 2 cv's and my 3x3 arms. I used 17* as the max on the cv's.