68 baja build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
bikesndbugs

68 baja build

Post by bikesndbugs »

SO i joined like 2 days ago decided to start a build thread excuse the very mediocre name i lack the creativity to make a good one. I bought myself a running 68 beetle from my uncle for 1k around 2 years ago my dad drove it for a while then the oil pressure sensor stripped the block it sat for 6 months until it was fixed my dad drove it more and now it finally is sitting ready to be made into a baja. Ive got fiberglass a motor cage an exhaust and some offroad wheels so i have basically everything to do it. Im 17 i get my license in October i believe so i have all summer but im only at my dads house very other weekend so it will be slow pics of mine will come soon Image
the blue one it my uncles hasn't been out out in years but still starts right up the grey is a family friends 6 plus beam swing axle 1835 and a cage. the truck was my dads 73 datsun 620 he sold it last month but i had the motor more than halfway apart due to timing issues and sorted that out myself. I do all the work on my bug so im good on skill and abilty to work on it just gotta get down to it. Idk if the pictures work but im trying to get it to work.
decided to add a bit more about me I ride bmx ever since i was 3 ive been on bikes I got training wheels off because i was trying to jump. With fun and a sport like that comes injury over the past couple months ive been dealing with knocked out teeth and a broken bone.
I broke out 2 teeth and chipped 2 my right k9 was pushed in and up. When the teeth got knocked out they also broke the bone its been a fun time. Friday i got my teeth pulled and now im rocking a sweet denture (see photo).
My head looks very large in this
Last edited by bikesndbugs on Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bikesndbugs

Re: 68 baja build

Post by bikesndbugs »

ill post pics of mine tonight prob
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

Welcome!!
There is all the info you need here. Please ask away. Only advise I can give now is to create a plan!!!
Stick to it!
And you'll be driving in no time.
It's ok to update the car later, but getting to drive it first is far more rewarding.
Look forward to the build.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I agree with the making of a plan. Since your not at your fathers house with the buggy all the time then the first part of making a plan will easy then can be updated when you get to your dad's/buggy home.

Is it going to be street only or dual purpose? If dual purpose then where and what is the terrain. Note all this stuff down then when the car is finished (they never are) look back and see your original plans vs. how it turned out.

Keep the car running and drivable as much as you can; there will be periods of not being able to drive but make them as short as possible by not starting the upgrade (broken is a bit different) until you think you have all the parts and knowledge. Once a toy starts to sit then it gets use to sitting and gets an attitude. Your attitude must be stronger in the same direction as it is and you must win!

How much you know about cars to start with and access to tools comes next. We can help with some of the how to's but other than advice on what tools we are not as much of a help I would suspect. It sounds like you have two VW persons to help so I suspect that you could be way ahead on things.

Lee
TimS

Post by TimS »

Welcome. Looks like a fun project. I like that trailer.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

for the plan dual purpose ill try to offroad as much as possible but it will be a daily driver and terrain will be general desert occotillo/ boreggo. so hard pack and washes maybe an occasional dune but not too much. also i have my permit now so ive driven it its very fun and easy to drive i really like it.
plan wise i wanna swap to linkpin i need to replace balljoints anyways and would rather just swap beams http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=616367 that is the link where i have pics of the beam im most likely going to buy
1. for now keeping swing maybe notch spring plates
2. 235/75s rear front?
3. make the webber progressive carb i have in garage work maybe not idk i have a 34 pict now and an 009 dist
4. shifter/ steering wheel prob gonna do the short shift kit and just rebuild the current one
5. seats hopefully get some out of like a civic or something the drivers is real worn out
6. roll cage someday hopefully
7. link pin maybe run an adaper and supportit
im looking alot to that grey one for an example
im at my dads next weekend hoping to get the back lifted and maybe start cutting it
the drivers rear fender got all bashed in because a tire decided to blow the tread off @60 mph the flats are because the pics were taken when it was sitting
ANd a question the z bar i know its good for on road and when engaged helps hold up some suspension should i attempt to keep it in and maybe make it have some more down travel give and shim it from the top so when getting close to bump stops it almost acts as a dual rate spring?
also need to come up with a good name for this so the title seems less bland and then i have something to refer to it as. yaknow
Travis
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Z-Bar is LIKE a way bar, but works in reverse to reduce "Jacking". Offroad it is not a good thing and I recommend removing it. It DOES NOT help hold up suspension at all.
1. for now keeping swing maybe notch spring plates
2. 235/75s rear front?
3. make the webber progressive carb i have in garage work maybe not idk i have a 34 pict now and an 009 dist
4. shifter/ steering wheel prob gonna do the short shift kit and just rebuild the current one
5. seats hopefully get some out of like a civic or something the drivers is real worn out
6. roll cage someday hopefully
7. link pin maybe run an adaper and supportit
im looking alot to that grey one for an example
1 - Do NOT notch spring plates with a swing axle!!!!!!! You need to ADD material to the stop to keep the camber in reason. Usually about 1/4" and add spring plate retainer straps to keep the spring plates from popping off the lower stops. Too much camber will put you on your head faster than you can blink. Trust me on this. I won a Championship racing a swingaxle car.
2 - 235-75s are OK for the rear, but you could go a little larger. Preferably wider rather than taller. 215s will rub on the inner fender panel and limit the wheel up travel anyway. Taller tires just hit sooner. For the front on stock spindles and such, 235s are a little big. I like 215-75s.
3 - Start out with the 34PICT-3 and worry later about upgrading for more power. As ol fogasaurus said, get it running and keep it running as much as possible. Downtime is addictive.
4 - I put one of the short throw shifter kits in my Baja Bug in the early 70s, then put one in my race buggy and another in the Baja you see in my avatar about the same time in the mid 70s. I've always been happy with them. Never worn one out or broken one. There are better shifters, But I'm not into throwing money at something that works pretty well.
5 - You're making sense on the seats. Just don't go for the seat mounts they sell at most VW outlets. They're crap.
6 - Rollcage would be right near the top of the list from my point of view. For safety of course! But also for ruggedness of the car and for structure to support fancier suspension.
7 - The beam adapter question will get the same answer I gave you on Samba. I don't approve of them for offroad use unless they work with a cage structure to support the beam. Then they and the beam mount bolts could be left out of the car. Lots of Bugs that have only seen street use have rust, crash damage and fatigue where the beam bolts thread into bosses in the frame head. I've repaired a few over the years.

If that 68 Bug were in my hands to build an offroad car out of.. It would head in this direction:

Slice the fenders and add 3-4" strip to make them wider, raise the fenders on the body a couple inches, Baja Bug suspension, wheels and tires, cage inside, tucked headers, bolt-in trimmed rear apron, trimmed front apron, and cool factor through the clouds.

That picture was the cover of the HP book on building Baja Bugs from 1970. The car was from Riverside and was built and raced by the guy who designed the 1-piece Baja front end and the wide-eye style multi-piece kit that's the most common. It looks in the pic like its right hand drive, but his son says it was center-steer.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Oh, and I would have offroad designs on that 620 too! They were excellent offroad trucks.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

i think ill just save up for the conversion beam and run the ball joint for a while and ive got engine cage and one piece front clip so im gonna cut the body. the roll cage is up there probably get one of the premade ones or find someone to help and i dont have a welder or know how to i should be taking a class next year. Sadly the 620 was sold a month or so ago. I don't have rear fiberglass currently so what if i just cut the stock fenders how does that work? I have alot of spare time becuase im at school and we dont do much so i get alot of reading done about vws. gonna bug hibbards bugs and buggies book to start reading that.
Travis
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Hibbards book will give you some options and tips on cutting things
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Good to see a young build here, not all is lost in this world. Anyway don't try and keep up with the Joneses, make yours reliable and sturdy and you'll do great off-roading.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

my moms all mad because the bug is not in my name. But should it be? like im under 18 and its still in my uncles name why does it matter?
Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Interesting!!!!!

While it is all in the family I think your mother is concerned that your unkle might have some liability. Teenagers, right or wrong, have a bad rep and that might be her worry. You probably going to have to prove yourself on this.
so be cool here. I think this is going to need a family conference so everyone is on the same page.

Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than you paid for it.
TimS

Post by TimS »

I put a lot of work into a motorcycle once on a handshake, then the PO took it back.

Lots of reasons to have in your name, but also lots of completely different reasons mom could be mad and use the title as the breaking point. Investigate further, find real reasons and solve them step by step.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

im not worried about it being taken back considering it is my uncles but is there a downside to having it in my name? the registration is due in like a week or 2 so now is a good time to change it if im gonna.
Also ordered my book and gonna call veeparts ro see if they carry a short shift kit
Travis