68 baja build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Piledriver

Re: 68 baja build

Post by Piledriver »

dustymojave wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 12:39 amYou MIGHT need to clearance the tops of the yokes for CV clearance, but not necessarily so.
BFH works pretty well, given enough violence. :lol:
Tipping the motor/trans up a few degrees helps exit clearance, see how that looks before the beatings commence.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

If you do modify the mounts then be sure you do have some kind of a Truss/Kaffer bar setup in place to support the weakened area(s).

Violence can not always be aimed correctly/controlled and strength can then be forfeited because of it.

VW made calculated changes before they modified the pickle forks when converting to IRS so be careful as you can accidently weaken things a lot if not done right. Remember: their calculations can easily be over extended when going even mildly off-road. One of the guys who used to ride with us made a fairly simple jump and his engine, on landing, was kind of facing the ground after landing. His pickle forks had not been modified in any way plus the metal was just tired (I almost bought the rail myself but when I got back to it later in the day it was gone. I didn't know who had bought it until I dropped by his house later that weekend. He did make some ties from the mounts to the upper rear tubes on his rail but he didn't design his new supports correctly as used S-hooks instead of better design of ties/joins; the S's opened up on him just normally bouncing around on the sand.

Dusty did recommend doublers around the modified area(s) and I would suggest doing that also. Remember: fun easy rides can grow to pushing it very easily especially if you have riders with you or you are in a group.

For what it is worth!
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 10:45 pm If you do modify the mounts then be sure you do have some kind of a Truss/Kaffer bar setup in place to support the weakened area(s).

Violence can not always be aimed correctly/controlled and strength can then be forfeited because of it.

VW made calculated changes before they modified the pickle forks when converting to IRS so be careful as you can accidently weaken things a lot if not done right. Remember: their calculations can easily be over extended when going even mildly off-road. One of the guys who used to ride with us made a fairly simple jump and his engine, on landing, was kind of facing the ground after landing. His pickle forks had not been modified in any way plus the metal was just tired (I almost bought the rail myself but when I got back to it later in the day it was gone. I didn't know who had bought it until I dropped by his house later that weekend. He did make some ties from the mounts to the upper rear tubes on his rail but he didn't design his new supports correctly as used S-hooks instead of better design of ties/joins; the S's opened up on him just normally bouncing around on the sand.

Dusty did recommend doublers around the modified area(s) and I would suggest doing that also. Remember: fun easy rides can grow to pushing it very easily especially if you have riders with you or you are in a group.

For what it is worth!
yeah if/ when i do irs ill do a whole bunch of research currently just trying to get the cage done. I am also slightly tempted to not go irs and go swing axle with redux boxes instead. (just a thought)
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

We had a very informative discussion on the pros and cons of the redux boxes several years ago. As I remember you have to lay/angle them back but I don't remember the full reason why. Maybe it would be a good idea for someone to do a single searchable string on them and installing them.

The last post was 'cause I had the impression that you were going to update to IRS which is good.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=co ... &FORM=VDRE

Some videos on bus reduction boxes. I did some looking up of things and you do want to lay the gear boxes down to reduce the problem of wheel hop.
Lee

bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 5:52 am We had a very informative discussion on the pros and cons of the redux boxes several years ago. As I remember you have to lay/angle them back but I don't remember the full reason why. Maybe it would be a good idea for someone to do a single searchable string on them and installing them.

The last post was 'cause I had the impression that you were going to update to IRS which is good.
i might do the irs swap im still debating it. just looking at my options now.
I know you have to brace the reduxboxes. or it hops really bad.
im worried about top speed.
Travis
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Layed down RGB extends the wheelbase and leverage on torsions by about 3". Rick (QRP) of SoCal Bajas had a Baja with lay down RGB. Used to be found on a number of Class 5 Baja Bug race cars about 40 years ago. Johnny Johnson made pieces to adapt the RGBs to the spring plates including an axle tube oversleeve with a gusset tube to the back of the RGB. This setup doesn't entirely eliminate axle hop, but does improve it a lot.

Then there is the upright setup with Johnny Johnson No-Hop, that uses an axle tube over-sleeve to allow the axle tube to rotate in the oversleeve, and adds a radius rod (traction bar) under the axle to brackets welded under the torsion housing to REALLY eliminate wheel hop. This raises the ride height about 3".

Both work pretty well. And the lay-down slightly increases wheel travel. But neither is as good as IRS.

Welding in the radius rod brackets is nearly as much fabrication as converting to IRS. But finding the Johnny Johnson kits is not so easy as it once was. And they're correspondingly expensive. Then you need to also upgrade your torsion bars if you lay it down. But there's no fabrication involved. Trade-offs any way you turn.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

dustymojave wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:32 pm Layed down RGB extends the wheelbase and leverage on torsions by about 3". Rick (QRP) of SoCal Bajas had a Baja with lay down RGB. Used to be found on a number of Class 5 Baja Bug race cars about 40 years ago. Johnny Johnson made pieces to adapt the RGBs to the spring plates including an axle tube oversleeve with a gusset tube to the back of the RGB. This setup doesn't entirely eliminate axle hop, but does improve it a lot.

Then there is the upright setup with Johnny Johnson No-Hop, that uses an axle tube over-sleeve to allow the axle tube to rotate in the oversleeve, and adds a radius rod (traction bar) under the axle to brackets welded under the torsion housing to REALLY eliminate wheel hop. This raises the ride height about 3".

Both work pretty well. And the lay-down slightly increases wheel travel. But neither is as good as IRS.

Welding in the radius rod brackets is nearly as much fabrication as converting to IRS. But finding the Johnny Johnson kits is not so easy as it once was. And they're correspondingly expensive. Then you need to also upgrade your torsion bars if you lay it down. But there's no fabrication involved. Trade-offs any way you turn.
i like the rgbs because of the old school feel was thinking like 45 degrees for a bit of wheelbase and bit of left hence eliminating the camber at ride height. But looking into it its alot of work and seems easier to just do the irs when i have the ability to.

also my friend got the runners tacked today gonna work some more on tuesday.
Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Got a pretty good amount done yesterday.
b hoop tacked in
halo hoop tacked in
found the bend of the a pillar tubes
rsz_20170606_210745.jpg
rsz_20170606_201019.jpg
my panhead is still on the car
rsz_20170606_211003.jpg
rsz_20170606_210951.jpg
there is a big gap between the beam and the panhead as a spaced it to straighten the beam.. IM not sure if i will keep the panhead or cut it off as the spacers scare me but just tubes would be weaker (i think) need a little help there.also full tube would allow the beam to be leaned back a few degrees for caster adjustment.
rsz_20170606_211644.jpg
this is the stance i hope to get. Im thinking the 235/75 up front because it wont sit as "stinkbug" as with the 215/75. 31s in the rear.
rsz_20170606_211818.jpg
rsz_20170606_202313.jpg
thats a template we started to make of the torsion gusset to create a very strong area with a lot of weld to the torsion to limit cracking hopefully.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Travis
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

One thing I didn't mention on TOS earlier was that the stock beam is already tilted back 6-8° for caster.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Ok good to know so if I still use the panhead to get the upper tubes in ill have the caster back

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Assuming it hasn't been "whanged" (an onomatopoeia word) out of alignment; yes, it should be OK.
Lee

bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

There is a pretty good possibility is has been due to how off it is but I'm 90 percent sure that was always like that and not from the crash as it has always only rubbed on the passenger side

I probably should get a protractor on it now and check it to see where its at.
I graduate high school today yay

Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Got some tire questions.

I have a pair of bfg at 215/75
a pair bfg at 31/10.5
and 3 235/75s (2 goodyear wrangler and 1 other one)

All of them have 90% tread life or so

SO im thinking 31 in rear with the 235 up front. A little worried about the steering with 235s up front.
what do i do for a spare the third 235 or a 215 to save space and weight?
Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

"I graduate high school today yay (sic)"

Congratulations on your graduation from High School. Now the goofing off ends and life and a lot of learning really begins. You now have the basics in order to learn the rest.

Learn you lessons in life well but don't forget what you have learned in your school years. You may not use your schooling right-a-way or maybe for years but so much of it will eventually be needed... usually when you lease expect it.

Don't develop any bad habits because as you grow older they become more fixed and more intense so by the time you get to be my age being a cool old fart isn't possible. Good habits either stay the same or disappear; it is rare if they improve.

Be wise with old friends and making new ones. You will loose friends and class mates but make new friend along life's way. Value the old and enjoy the new. Be wise!

Congrats again Travis.

Lee