68 baja build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Piledriver

Re: 68 baja build

Post by Piledriver »

Looks like a broken nosecone for the trans, consider fabricating a mid-mount setup and ditching the factory one.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Yep. Pile is right. Obviously, there is a serious lack of a mid-mount strap over the forward part of the trans case.

We try ta teach ya, and tell ya about books.

What do ya do? Ya use the books to make a fire to cook the teachers... :roll:

It's Baja Bug and Buggy Basics 101. It goes back to the mid 1960s. AT LEAST! The Manx that won the 1967 Mexican 1000 Overall had one.

The front of the trans NEEDS a strap over the top or a mid-mount to prevent nose cone mount breakage or worse. They were available manufactured and off the shelf in the late 60s. This concept is NOT new Tech.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

I have the trans strap it just didn't get installed right it's not siting on the raises bolt pattern like it should. So I have to fix that

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Aaaaahhhhhh!

I see, said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw...
:wink:

It should be installed so it's vertical, parallel with the parting line between the main trans case and the front bearing housing of the trans. Many mount them so the strap lays flat against the sloping top of the yoke.
Richard
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

dustymojave wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:20 pm Aaaaahhhhhh!

I see, said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw...
:wink:

It should be installed so it's vertical, parallel with the parting line between the main trans case and the front bearing housing of the trans. Many mount them so the strap lays flat against the sloping top of the yoke.
Does the setup you have, also have a strap across the bottom?
That way it is effectively a solid mid mount.
MOST of the force is up at the nose of the trans but as you have a broken nosecone the front mount is useless, and the nosecone where the hockey stick goes into the pan is now effectively your front mount and will not live long.
(I only ask as I have seen a few interesting setups)

You can get a water jet or laser cut mid mount plate that bolts to long studs on the trans for a few dollars most places.
Weld or bolt that to a crossbar and you can skip the straps and nosecone mount entirely.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

the strap goes is this one https://www.amazon.com/FRONT-TRANSMISSI ... B00BJPY84Y
problem is it for some reason the hole in my frame horns dont line up to the rasied seem dusty had mentioned. they sit about an inch closer to the motor so as a temporay solution a used a tie down to mimic the top strap and tightened it into the bottom one

i was considering doing some plate tabs welded to the frame horns to bolt to the long studs but i might have to solid mount the near motor too.
Travis
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

for some reason the hole in my frame horns dont line up to the rasied seem dusty had mentioned. they sit about an inch closer to the motor
The holes in the frame horns???? There's this really cool tool called a drill. Don't assume EMPI parts will fit without modifying SOMETHING. Those EMPI mounts are REALLY crappy compared to the ones that originator Crown Mfg sold in the 1960s. You know...EMPI... purveyors of well made quality items...Like their wonderful coilover shocks. :roll:

Off road swingaxle SHOULD HAVE solid mounts at the bell housing. In a swingaxle, the trans case is part of the suspension. It supports the inner pivot for the axles. There are mounts for the bell housing end of the trans that use stock rubber motor mounts and a strap around the outside of those. That was invented by Ted Trevor, owner of Crown Engineering and co-driver of the winning car in the 1st Mexican 1000 race. (aka "Baja 1000). Better than stock, but I prefer all steel mounts. But then, I prefer IRS too.
Richard
Retired Fabricator
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

I don't wanna put too much money into swing axle as I hope irs is coming soon

Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I think for off-road that solid mounts should be had with either swing or IRS. The same for a truss/Kaffer bar (which I think you have) and adding additional support to the torsion bar at it's end. They are needed to keep the car in a pretty much solid condition when even mild off-roading.

FWIW. Lee
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

I find that since IRS does not use the trans case for a suspension pivot, it's rather more forgiving of some flex in motor mounts than swingaxle. Not a LOT of flex, but the Crown style bell housing mount that uses the stock rubber or aftermarket urethane stock replacement mounts with a strap around the outside to restrict movement, with the cushioned mid strap and even a stock rubber or stock replacement urethane nose mount, or a combination of flexible and rigid mounts works fine.

The above is talking about VW T1 gear box. For a T2-IRS or Weddle, Mendeola or other aftermarket gear box, the bell housing end mounts and nose mounts and even a mid-mount can all be urethane sleeve or other captive type flexible mount with IRS.

I'm not looking to spend a lot of your money Travis. Actually trying to prevent spending your money unnecessarily from breakage like that nose cone. If you buy mounts now, especially if you buy them used from swap meet, TOS classifieds, or whatever, you can sell them later for pretty much what you have in them.
Richard
Retired Fabricator
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

That is true when I go to irs im.going to add some bars into my trans horns from my rear cage. As far as mid mount will trabs to my frame horns and the solid mount on the rear of the trans work. Seems like a good way to go did mount my ability to weld is better than me trying to bent sheet metal and I really hate drilling so tabs fro the middle seem like my best option.

Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Did a little bit of using the bug today jumped it about 17 ft ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Travis
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Pretty similar jump to the one I did with my Baja back in the 1970s.
BajaFlightKelsoCyn80.jpg
My friend caught my Baja just taking off. But the jump was quite similar to yours.

Good way to break a trans case if you haven't fixed the mid mount yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard
Retired Fabricator
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

im kinda at the point where im to lazy to do anything about it and if it breaks it will make me upgrade to irs.

so what im thinking is one or 2 inch longer arms some mid level cvs like type 4s or buses.
i know you can get around 10 out of bug cvs so type 4 or bus should do a bit more.

i kinda wanna get a ring and pinion done in a trans because i can do 75 in 3rd so 4th is like way to long. then i can throw 31s on it.
the motor ended up interesting it revs high but has great low end torque i do admit i could use some bigger heads and it would make more high rev hp but i like the low end torque for now. with the long gearing.

what trans setups are you guys running what rp what tire size super diff?
Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Travis, have you beefed up the frame head by tying it into the firewall then to the cage yet, I forget if you have done it or not. Even some of those so called little jumps are quite capable of doing a lot of structural damage especially if you don't beef up both the front and rear and connect the cage into the mix also.

Glass buggies like I run which don't have the structure a Baja has (the top of the car) are known to bend the tunnel up front of the shifter hole. Hard use can also do it to a Baja or even a bug according to a VW junkyard guy I talked to once a long time ago. Be careful!

Lee