68 baja build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
no1clyde

Re: 68 baja build

Post by no1clyde »

dustymojave wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:43 am But yeah, of the hundreds of cars that my son helped Rick build when he worked there, only a very small handful have ever been raced. What the hell all those people have done with all those potentially very cool Bajas is a real mystery.
I know of one here in Elko that for the last several years has just sat waiting for it's owner to work on it. I went and looked at it one time a few years ago when I just getting into building mine. At first the guy almost was making it sound like he built it but it is for sure a Crumco and I think some of his friends think he built it because of the way he talks and they don't know squat about Bajas.

Ed
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

bikesndbugs wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:54 am .....Hanging out at a offroad show tonight saw some interesting tires sizes. A 32x10.5 looked very skinny. Marketed as a utv race tire but may be a possible option to replace the 33x9.5s

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
BFG just released the new 32x9.50x15 Baja T/A for the "UTV" world
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

CentralWAbaja wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:10 pm
bikesndbugs wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:54 am .....Hanging out at a offroad show tonight saw some interesting tires sizes. A 32x10.5 looked very skinny. Marketed as a utv race tire but may be a possible option to replace the 33x9.5s

BFG just released the new 32x9.50x15 Baja T/A for the "UTV" world
seems like a good option my only concern would be tire wear and safety on road.

i applied at jimco today as a fabricator/ welder. im pretty under qualified but hopefully i get the chance.

I need to finish painting the bug cage and do the motor and rear torsion again.might spend the weekend doing that.

maybe not motor yet.
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

https://classifieds.race-dezert.com/ad- ... did=127738

good idea to get me started on irs?
Travis
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

What you would need out of Mike's setup there would be the trailing arms with stubs and the CV shafts. Mike's a good guy. He gets on here every now & then, and his wife has raced in the AGS 5-1600 (that my son has raced for about 10 years and my whole family is part of the team for) in a Powder Puff race a couple of times.

But back to what Mike's offering...You would need a pair of IRS pivot brackets, there would be NO SENSE in putting that torsion housing into your car that already has one that's fine. That torsion housing would be best used in a new play buggy frame.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

if he has cvs and stubs that would be nice.
I was mainly interested in the arms and axles.
swapping a torsion in my car would be near impossible due to the way it is gusseted in.

i plan on using the coilovers in my garage. would i have to run heims or could i run a normal spring plate torsion less?

https://classifieds.race-dezert.com/ad- ... did=127737

looks to have a big more his adds are quite entertaining to read ill probably give him a call tomorrow.
Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Looks like they are getting picked up by another guy next weekend hopefully he flakes. So the search continues. I do have access to some stock arms but I really want some plus one arms. I'm assuming I'd need different axles for that. Possibly custom. I could make a jig for a stock arm then move one of the arm mounts on the jig one inch cut the arm the reweld and make some tubular support.

Im thinking type 2 CVS with plus one arms and a 10 inch coilovers.
What do you guys think the travel would be like then?.
Shooting for like 10 to 12

also for now i plan to do rings and maybe pistons see if i can get a season out of that and swing axle. then next year do irs and a motor swap hopefully.
I was thinking honda 1.8l but those spin backwards and im told you cant flip the ring on a bus box so thats out.
then there is subaru and ecotec.
ecotec seems to be more common and easy to do.
subaru is a more fitting motor but is has the low oil pan. tim also has a great write up on it.

i did have an idea though. do a quick little freshen up on my motor buy a done buggy swap the motors and throw a type one irs trans if its got a bus box and resell the buggy for 1500 less
Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

this is just a test for my image hosting. it appears to work.

the green truck is mine the blue on is a friends. full caged 67 f250 shortened by 11 inches sits between a shortbed and a longbed. extended shock mounts and radius arms. 460 big block and 35s.

mine is a 71 f100 4x4 shortbed granny 4 speed and a 300 i6. (could use some 33s)

then a picture of the bug from new years.

on a completly different topic. got the roof of the bug finally patched ended up laying a biggger cutout under the hole doing a few short welds then bondoing over it.
i still need to reindex torsions :roll:
do rings for now
fix my exhaust stud
and last but not least clutch. then of course finish patching the floors where i cut them and paint the cage.
Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

really looking into a motor swap on the bug to something different vw is just too expensive.
what im thinking is either

4af/4afe 80s corolla motor heard more about doing it with the f that is carbed but still heard of approximatley 35mpg highway in a baja. not sure the amount of computer the fe has but fuel injection would be nice. the carb would make it way easy to do though 100 hp carbed and 120hp efi
like a 22r but a high revving car motor

ecotec everyone knows what it is lots of experience with it thinking the 2.2 but im not sure about all the computer stuff and i think it would be a bit too much power. for the lack of travel i have

subaru. least of my thoughts really seems like a pain more than others. i like the h4. but theres the oil pan issue. the power would be better for me than the ecotec. (tim where are you).

http://enginewiring.com/services.htm

cheap harness and ecu sorting option
Travis
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

The oil pan can be easily cut shorter and If it were mine, I would widen the pan out like they do for V8 deep sumps to retain the volume without it hanging so low. People keep telling me how expensive it is to rebuild a VW and how cheap it is for Ecotec or whatever. But the reality is still that rebuilding a VW is cheaper than any I4. Believe me, I have a 22re in my Toyota pre-run truck and had a couple Honda Civics and have dealt with rebuild costs. Or my son's Jetta that his buddy borrowed and banged the oil pan and drove it 30 miles home... And look up the cost to rebuild an Ecotec!On ebay I see $2k - $2.5K for a rebuilt. That's more expensive than the more-expensive-than-most 22re. And I see ads for Ecotecs with 90K miles on them for $950.
Richard
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Yeah my theory isnt rebuild its replace

Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

My dealio isn't rebuild the i4 its replace when it breaks. Its a toyota so not likely when it does also the efficiency that toyota 4a will get near 30mpg. That makes my wallet happy.

The ecotec ia kinda out just too much motor don't wanna have to deal.with that power. A carbed 4a would be super simple to do. And can't beat toyota reliability

Travis
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Ed had a Toyota Corolla engine in his rail that he took on the East Idaho Adventure. Ask him about that. Same cost for an adapter as for an Ecotec. But a way cheaper engine, at least as reliable, good economy,good power, reasonable for a bus gearbox.
Richard
Retired Fabricator
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

That's why I want the corolla one seems like a better engine for my planned setup as 170 hp with 10 inches of travel or so seems scary

Travis
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

I used a 2000 1.8 1ZZ-FE 125hp fuel injected variable cam timing motor. I used the Cat and both O2 sensors. I did sell the car but the guy I sold it to loves it, its awesome in that buggy. It has a 002 transmission and Kennedy adapter and I did the wiring for the computer. The Toyota has less torque than my EJ22 that is in my Baja but the top end on the 1ZZ-FE revs higher and goes like stink in that tube frame car. In the Baja I like the Subaru but I did shorten my oil pan and now have some pretty good skid plates under it and the transmission. I would run either though but I think the Subaru is the best and one reason the EJ22's are every where and cheap. My car was under water this year in a flood that messed up my first EJ22 and I bought a Legacy for $350 and used it's motor and computer to fix my car, can't beat that.

Ed