Here We Go: DD Build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
DeMinimis

Here We Go: DD Build

Post by DeMinimis »

Picked up a new '08 DD chassis over the weekend. Although it's a 2008, it was never built (Mende mounts just tacked as well as engine compartment cross tube). 1.5" Chromo. Going to have a 3.5 Honda. I think I'm going to go with my built 091, but I keep looking at those Mende mounts and ponder... I probably should just start saving my peanuts for a fresh but used 2d. Don't know what I'll do at this time. First thing is to drop off the trailing arms to my master welder so he can install my midboard mount plates (arms have micro stub plates). I need to decide what I'm going to do for a rack. This is going to be a desert car, not a duner, so I won't have those massive 17" wheels on it with BFMs (the "M" stands for "meats"). So, I think I'll be okay with a manual rack. Someday, sure, a Howe 2.5 would be nice, but last I checked, they aren't giving them away. Goal is to get this to roller status as soon as possible, then cool my wallet down, and build as funds allow. I really need to have this thing functional by this time next year.

(Not my shop)

Front arms, King Kong spindles, FK Heims (plus a few extras).

Rear arms with the micro plates (soon to have midboard plates).

Rear gets my Fox 3.0 3-tube bypass and 2.0 C/O. Front gets my Fox 2.5 Internal Bypass shocks. Since the front i1 setup for duals, I may fart around with valving and add some Fox emulsions in front of the internal bypasses (if there is room, there may not be the room as the 2.5s are pretty big).

If you're sitting on the edge of your seat watching this build, don't. Just relax as this will take some time.
Last edited by DeMinimis on Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
rickosuave1987

Re: Here We Go: Desert Dynamics Build

Post by rickosuave1987 »

Congrats on the new build! I look forward to your self-admitted slow progress :lol:

You might want to consider electric steering assist instead of a manual rack...
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Yea, I dunno. We shall see. I have looked at those in the past. A good alternative. I wonder if my factory Honda PS pump can handle a Howe or if you have to go with a Howe (or the like) pump. So many questions.

Right now, does anyone know the Timken bearing numbers (bearings, races, seals) for King Kong spindles? I think I might know, but need some confirmation before I order up. Thanks.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Good to see your build start DeMinnis, look forward to the future :P
Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

This may help. Back when they showed part numbers.

DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Thanks. Figured out I'm screwed. Can't use my CNC combo hubs. Need to buy new ones designed for the KK spindles. I always assumed they just used bearings with smaller rollers.
Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

I'm currently in the same boat. Looking to upgrade. In the early stages, but initial though is that the combo hubs could be turned out approx. .015 for the King Kongs. Still need to do the math officially, but looks initially feasible
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

With mine I'm not sure there's be enough meat left over for the grease seal. Plenty of room to mill out for the larger bearings/races. Instead, I'm just going to sell my CNCs and go from there. I'll probably just go to 2" snouts as coming up with hubs for them is easier (and cheaper) than finding ones for KK spindles. Pretty bummed about it, but such is life.
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

As fewer and fewer mfrs seem to be making off-the-shelf KK hubs (CNC (approx $1300) and Pro-Am (approx ?) being about it), it might be a good time to just go to with 2" snouts. Someone made me one of those offers that is hard to refuse (convert to 2" and new hubs with 4 piston caliper kinda deals). Looks like I'll go that route. Tatum will mill a set their combo hubs to KKs for only $100, which is a great deal. However, then you've got to add nearly $200 into the mix for bearings/seals (Timken/SKF), so it becomes a little less attractive (getting up to over $1k for a complete setup. Them's 2" prices). Yup, unless a really good deal on KK hubs falls into my lap, think I'll go the 2" snout route. I did not budget for this. I didn't budget for any of this. I was totally happy with my Chenowth and was about to start cranking it out. So here's the deal: Friend is at home recovering after getting fixed. He texts me about getting a SXS. I scoff. I send him some pics of pricey pre-runners. He starts sending me pics of POS buggies. I ask where he's finding those crappy buggies. He replies CL and I search CL for a good one for him. Then, completely unexpected, a frick'n Desert Dynamics chassis shows up locally (well, 7hrs away "locally"). Before you know it, we've struck a deal and I'm burning diesel like it's going out of style to go get it. Well, there's the backstory on this DD.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

HAHA love it! Glad I am not the only one that knows how to build a snowman!
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Trailing arms mod done (Tatum midboard plates). Nice work!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6Sta ... oad_-1.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-VnM_ ... oad_-1.jpg

Fox 14" 2.5 rezzie coilovers arrived today. They are freaking monsters. I went with 500/600 springs as that seems a good starting point based on what others are running. Should be a roller in the rear by the end of the weekend. Going to order up new bypasses out back on Monday (have to hit the bank (deposit) and figure out valving, etc). That's a pretty big hit (almost as much as an entire Chenowth chassis...D.T.E.).
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Good story DeMinnis. I think you will enjoy this new direction once you $$ recover.
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Took some huge safety washers and ground them down to use as heim spacers for the rear trailing arms.

For the win:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-sLZh ... oad_-1.jpg

A little mock up (note the new midboard backing plates (and box of shocks hidden from prying spousal eyes):

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-wCKx ... oad_-1.jpg
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Sweet idea for the washer use, not bad work either. Keep the info going or the wife gets a email about your hiding spots. :P
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Went way overkill for my rear C/Os (I will have some valving in them, not that it's needed). Look at the 12 2.0 vs 14 2.5.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1RNt ... oad_-1.jpg