Here We Go: DD Build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
BAJA-IT

Re: Here We Go: Desert Dynamics Build ( Desert Dynamics Sucks )

Post by BAJA-IT »

Some of my best work is done with that same CAD system.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
petew

Post by petew »

You've been watching project Binky, haven't you. ;)
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

BAJA-IT wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:34 pm Some of my best work is done with that same CAD system.
:shock: Are you talking about the "cardboard CAD system" or a digital CAD system? :lol:

Its funny, I have done drawings both on the board (Orthographic, Descriptive Geometry and even Axonometrically) plus in a couple different forums of CAD then the finished product was digitally inserted into a digital mockup for back checking. It looked good but there were also several times when I/we went out to look at the results in a real mockup or in place... and the reaction was "Oh, so that is what it looks like". Don't know why but it happens!

Real or cardboard mockups can be a waste of time, material and expense but they also can save time, material and money too.

Lee
Last edited by Ol'fogasaurus on Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

petew wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:04 pm You've been watching project Binky, haven't you. ;)
No, but I did enjoy Peaky Blinders. Does that count?
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

The "Cardboard A D"
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
petew

Post by petew »

DeMinimis wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:24 pm
petew wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:04 pm You've been watching project Binky, haven't you. ;)
No, but I did enjoy Peaky Blinders. Does that count?
Here's project Binky. Warning, this is very addictive...

[BBvideo=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hCPODjJO7s[/BBvideo]

There are 14 episodes and the car isn't finished yet, but the fab work... Oh the fab work! :shock:
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Okay, the two additional 4130 3/16 bulkhead plates are done. You may note large holes are 1/8 larger on one plate (something to weld to). You may also note one plate is shorter at the bottom (due to interference with existing bulkhead bottom weld).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

:shock: Wow! Very impressed to say the least! A "bend of the knee" for sure (a very old British term for submitting [impressed] to someone doing a good job ). 8)

Lee
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Thanks Lee.

The left one is the meat in this bulkhead sandwich. I will drill one 1/2" hole between the lower big holes for a rosette weld. The dog bone holes on the orig plate will provide plenty of opportunity to secure the two plates together (alone with welding the large holes (center plate holes are also 1/8" larger than orig plate holes)). The right plate will be the aft plate. No dog bone holes to use to weld the parts together, so I will add several 1/2" holes and rossettes). The center plate will be slightly recessed, along the sides, when compared to the orig (front) and rear plates. That will allow me a good knerf for welding the sides of the three plates together. My intent is to practice "walking the cup" with a number of pieces of scrap I now have as I think that technique might be the way to go for the sides. I would like a good looking weld. Should I fail, well, there's always the flapper disc.
petew

Post by petew »

Thank the Lord for flapper discs. :D
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Closer.

By the by, the orig (now front) bulkhead plate wasn't even welded on the backside (upper).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Made new spacers for the larger heims (8 -I use safety washers and grind them to fit). I bridged the two lower front arm mount plates back to the bulkhead. Bulkhead wrapped up. Noticed some splatter beads inside the dog bones, so think I'll go back and knock them off. Since I want the lower front chassis bolts to feed through the front, and with the front bumper support in the way (I get long bolts to insure the heims and mounts are on shaft and not threads). So, had to cut the monster 3/4" bolts down and notch the head to fit around the bumper support tubes. Sure I could have fed the bolts from behind, but were's the fun in that? On to fitting the arms this weekend I hope.
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

I figured you would just feed the bolts from the back but glad to see you went the extra distance.....

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

There you go again, always trying to feed the bolt from the backside.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Other than just awkwardness in getting to the bolt head, it is the pulling on/or near loading shear on the threads that you have to worry about. Sometimes you just don't have an option either so as long as you have planed for it is should be OK. :wink: