Here We Go: DD Build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
CentralWAbaja

Re: Here We Go: Desert Dynamics Build ( Desert Dynamics Sucks )

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Oh...and NICE BOLTS!
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Ha! Nothing to do with the buggy. Buggy is the therapy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

That's some coolness right there!

Yeah, Uncle Sam gets his first of a few paychecks from me next week. I guess that means we did well last year, but dang it is stressful.

I need some shop time too. So busy right now that it is hard to get in the shop, and when I do I need to be fully committed to the geometry again and that is more then this little pea brain can take at times.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Bolt this, you bastages!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Like they say, measure tw......enty times, cut once. A comfortable amount of clearance at full droop. Bamdaba-bam-bam!
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

And this shows, somewhat, how I customized the usual dual mounts so that instead of centered (would not work, plus angles all f'd) the assembly is towards the rear (clearance AND correct positioning (top to bottom angle)
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Very nice !
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Thanks!

Well, that's that then.

Hubs going to have to wait until I have some extra time. Uncle Sam also wants some of my hard-earned before Tuesday.
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

That is looking very good!
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)

It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Thanks Skiddy.

Rack never fit right due to front "DD" plate being off a smidge. Did some clearancing so the rack bolts up better. I do need to go back and slightly clearance the bulkhead steering shaft hole a bit (aft) as there's a bit of interference with the coupler lock nut (1/8" each side, so not a biggie).
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Well this blows. Not even in the ballpark. Yes, hub races fully seated. All new stuff, so you'd think... Hopefully Kartek will send me a new set of spindles that fit. If not, I'll weld on .25" thick caliper brackets I have (different style) to the outboard side of the spindle caliper brackets. I'll drill out for 3/8-24 inserts that are on the way. Once that is done, I'll remove material on the inboard side of of the spindle caliper bracket until I get the caliper centered (approx .200").
Last edited by DeMinimis on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

Hopefully they get you fixed up, I really like the A arm front suspension but I play in the woods with big rocks and trees and unfortunately we are stuck with 6"+ beams and 1X4 front arms.
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

I am actually in the process of building a front brake setup for combo spindles for a buddy with fabricated front hubs and Chevy pattern wheels.
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
DeMinimis

Post by DeMinimis »

Well, I'm on my own. These spindles work with Jamar and others, but turns out, I'm the first, it seems, to discover they don't work with CNC. Perhaps that's why CNC sells their own snout. So I'll tackle the brackets when I can (inserts arrive tomorrow). Hope Kartek posts a disclaimer with these spindles (that they don't work with CNC). $2k++ and I still have to put a lot of work into making it work. F'n buggies.

So, bearings. I invested in a Lisle Handy Packer (something like $20 on Amazon). I'm here to tell you if you ever pack wheel bearings by hand again, you sir are a fool. How did I survive so long without this bearing packer? Even works on these big 2" bearings.

Lifted pic:
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Power bearing packers have been around for a long time but the ones I worked with used air powered grease guns, usually the ones where you have a 55 gallon drum style of greasing setup. They do do a good and quick job for sure! Good find if it works.