ugh, not again already

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: ugh, not again already

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

cbeck wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:35 am I didn't think it would take a year and a half to get this far. I can see how easy this would have been to turn into a 5 year progect.
I'm over 20 with my black buggy. Time goes fast when your having fun!

It does look pretty good but now the hard part comes.

Lee
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

In the last week I have cleaned out 2 lowes, a walmart, and a tractor supply of the color I am spraying. Any other time, the shelves would be full.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

'S funny how a coat of paint can change things isn't it. Looks fresh and clean ready for whatever now.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

31 cans of paint and I turned it into a 10 footer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Painting the floor doesn't count!!! You are going to walk in the garage someday and walk straight into your rail because you can't see it from the floor :twisted: .

It does look good though.

Lee
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Good job, my first rail paint job I spent about $400 on mixed paint, didn't take long for me to scratch and dent it then figure I needed to do some welding and moving of parts. You made a good choice.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Still going to try to have a good weekend. Geico told a local they would not insure his rail either. Said they will no longer insure state issued vin's, modified chassis, modified suspension, or modified body panels.
Ordered 27mm rear bars a week+ago. Flaps called at about 6pm to say they are in. Too bad Iwas laying under my truck removing the second brake line to burst (always happens when you need them most) in the last 6 months (here's your sign). Flaps is on vacay till the 11th, with my bars securely stored in his business. And then gets butt hurt when you buy online. Did I mention he is open only 4 days a week, and saturday is not one of them? Did i mention brake fluid baths make me bitchy and I am out of mydol?
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

The local hardware store in my little town of 15K was going down the same jungle trail under ownership by one who was the owner of a SCORE 1600 class champion. Then about 4 years ago it was bought up by others who seem to have a better understanding of local businesses and it's now thriving. Strangely the same people have not been so successful with their ownership of the market across the street. Same change of ownership but the hardware has improved while the market /gas station has gone downhill.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

cbeck wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:56 pm Still going to try to have a good weekend. Geico told a local they would not insure his rail either. Said they will no longer insure state issued vin's, modified chassis, modified suspension, or modified body panels.
Ordered 27mm rear bars a week+ago. Flaps called at about 6pm to say they are in. Too bad Iwas laying under my truck removing the second brake line to burst (always happens when you need them most) in the last 6 months (here's your sign). Flaps is on vacay till the 11th, with my bars securely stored in his business. And then gets butt hurt when you buy online. Did I mention he is open only 4 days a week, and saturday is not one of them? Did i mention brake fluid baths make me bitchy and I am out of mydol?
Maybe their "odds makers" (actuaries') aren't up to figuring the risks well enough :wink: . Actually, after buying my blue buggy many years ago and seeing the work done on it then seeing the work on some other modified cars I can kind of see what they are up against. But then, gambling is their business and with the business climate now days it does make a certain amount of sense this is happening.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Added the bolt to the front droop stops. Started on plumbing and wiring while waiting for paint to dry on small parts.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Let me know how the light bar works. In the old days the lights would reflect back off the head lights into your eyes but the bar might be a bit different.

Lee
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Front end all together except for shocks. Some kind of mumbo jumbo concerning the shocks, supposed to ship from bilstein ca within 2 weeks. Started laying out the front wiring harness. Not much changed there except for the dash bar being 3" taller, and the wires being 3" shorter.Bought some $5.99 led strips. As supplied adhesive is already failing. 1 strip for a plate lite and 2 for a dome lite.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Post some pics . Been busy.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Getting closer.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

8) 8) 8)
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!