ugh, not again already

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: ugh, not again already

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

cbeck wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:41 pm Front end all together except for shocks. Some kind of mumbo jumbo concerning the shocks, supposed to ship from bilstein ca within 2 weeks. Started laying out the front wiring harness. Not much changed there except for the dash bar being 3" taller, and the wires being 3" shorter.Bought some $5.99 led strips. As supplied adhesive is already failing. 1 strip for a plate lite and 2 for a dome lite.
cbeck, sorry about the late reply as I have been gone for a week.

For several reasons I don't think I would put those strips on the underside of the tubes, especially overheard (not completely comfortable with the side mounts either. As you have said: the stick-em has already started to let go; if they fell at the wrong time they could end up being a problem because of the potential of them getting in the way of your driving. At least I would put some zip-ties to tie them in place.

Another reason might be that the overhead strips are mounted to the front of the cage in your rail, ahead of where you might be sitting so there is the potential of when turned on at night (especially) the intense(?) glow could reduce you vision potential by shining in your eyes or washing out your gauges.

Try this: if you have done it already, darken the garage, sit in the seat and turn them on to see what, if any, problems that may come up.

In the old days hot rod light buckets were located in the front of the rail and were mounted down low things were on (the size of the script OK is proportional to what OK means) but when additional lights were mounted on the top of the cage then the lights reflected back to the driver off the chrome (or even painted) buckets and as well the AL beams especially if polished. Some guys used to mount lights on the cage's A-pillar cross-tube that the gauges and/or steering used which had the same reflection problem (when there were light buckets in the front of the rail). Granted things have change and things have changed so now there are additional things to think about :shock: .

For what it is worth.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

All I am lacking electrically is the neg battery cable, hope to test systems tommorrow. Never had the back of the headlite reflection with the 3 lires that were on top. Cross that bridge when I get there. Also hope to fire engine tommorrow.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Chasing electrical gremlins all day, those little effers are quick :? Started the engine today, still has that lean idle popping and snorting. Will get some bigger idles when the flaps reopens after the 21st. Haven't really started tuning yet, started with a change to 140 mains before the carbs were installed. Think the bigass dash blocks any chance of reflection for the driver. :shock:
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

"Think the bigass [sic] dash blocks any chance of reflection for the driver."

Possible... interesting if it does... I hope so. Wait until you are bouncing around in the dark.. then that will tell for sure.

Since I get motion sick very quickly in a rail I haven't been able to witness the problem first hand and on the move but I have seen it from standing around one and listening to the comments. I once had some nasty bright lights on the front of my glass buggy and got complaints from those in front of me that not only washed out the sand and the lumps and bumps but took a lot of their vision away so the problem did exist (I got them from J C Whitney a bit over 20 years ago. They were the strongest they carried at the time). I think the airplanes flying over mistook the beach for a landing area and thought my lights were the landing lights of the airport :twisted: . They were honking bright and got very hot.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Still moving forward.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Looking good!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

That is a good looking rail
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Aw, shucks :oops: Now I get to go backwards and figure out why the clutch aint clutchin. Engine is ready to come out after taking out the 4 nuts/bolts. Think everything else was dealt with in under 15 minutes. I suspect I knocked a clip or 2 loose. Did find a place for my buddies name, and got the cage cleaned and primed. Going to turn my daughter loose on 1 roof panel, after she makes him a little more buff with a anchor tat on the opposite fore arm from the mom tat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

I can almost get excited. Brakes kinda bled, engine cage on, mo safety inspection done, and progressive will give full coverage.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Congratulations, you have done a bang up job on this one.
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

Leather, you should know better. Don't say "bang up!"
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Just got home with my new license plates. :D
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Congrats!
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Thank you and everyone else. 2 almost drama free rides, about 50 miles. Rolling around on my back tightening the floor pan bolts, I rolled right past the skid plate bolts (what is that rattle?). Nice to be able to roll around under the engine with the deep sump. Need a real muffler. Never had a stinger that was as loud as this side exit. Never had more than 90 hp either. The front end is stiffer than the rear. Going to start adjusting shock pressure in the front and check what the rears are at.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

If you aren't rattling you aren't moving.