Tim and Kyle go to Baja... (non-vw)

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
TimS

Tim and Kyle go to Baja... (non-vw)

Post by TimS »

bajaherbie wrote:
TimS wrote:Someone thought it would be a good idea to put me behind the wheel of a $150,000 race truck then send me to Baja. Who am I to say no? Non-VW, so updates will be via Facebook page... https://m.facebook.com/ViolentPhlegm/ Details forthcoming.

Just got off the phone... the STFORF mods just had a teleconference and are allowing an exception... you can keep us updated here.

It was a.close vote though!
You mean we are moderated?

Okay. I've let out bits and pieces of information. I guess it's time to fill in the rest of the story...

Fifteen years ago, I used to go dirt bike riding with Andy, who was about 13 years old at the time. Andy has established himself as an executive with Golden Leaf Holdings... One of the largest Cannabis Oil producers in North America. Andy asked me about some non-traditional advertising following his Initial-Public-Offering of stock on the Canadian Stock Exchange... Hmm... "Let's sponsor a truck in the Baja!". I made a few calls and had a truck lined up. "You want to drive, right?" Well, heck yes I do!
golden leaf.jpg
The wrap is being designed as we speak... Truck is similar to this...
truck.jpg
Then we got to thinking... We'd probably need two driver/codriver teams to complete the race. We'd also need some practice before trying to snake through lines of spectators on the Southern Tip of the Baja Peninsula. "BAP" was my first thought - We can each race for one day and get our feet wet. Perfect!

So, that is the short story of a few months of deliberation and planning. It's still hard to believe that we are going to race Baja, and that my prep is only to show up. The other driver, Andy, has some road racing experience and owns some pretty sweet road cars (including a 800+ HP four cylinder Subaru STi), but He has limited off road experience. He has a co-driver lined up, Chris, that I assume will also be green to the sport. Me, well, I will probably be taking the last half of the Baja Sur 500 in April with a co-driver... at night.

Now here is the difficult part. We need a co-driver. Someone who is good with electronics and maps, loves the sport, and, depending on the schematics, can drive, too. We need someone who can change a tire or a driveshaft, last through 250 miles of night-time race, and can be reliable to travel and stay healthy through it all. Most of all, We need a co-driver that will be happy to co-drive, put their heart and soul into that role, give Baja all we have to offer, and share in our victories or defeats. This co-driver might be riding with me, but might be riding with Andy, or might not be riding at all depending on the logistics.

I have some thoughts and have been talking to folks, but my co-driver is not yet decided. Does anyone want to go to Baja? Pay your own boarding and food?

I just reserved rooms at Primm for our testing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TimS on Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
no1clyde

Re: Tim and ? go to Baja... (non-vw)

Post by no1clyde »

I recommend Kyle, Tim he covers most of those requirements very well. That is a awesome bunch of events for sure. I guess I will be following the Baja 500 this year with interest :D BTW we have some VERY good desert in Nevada you can test the truck in :shock: :mrgreen:

Ed
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

:shock: my wife said I could do it :shock:

who's rental? Baja Racing Adventures? if it is pete, he will show you a great time! tons of experience in baja and good equipment IMO. I met him at a texas race and even raced against him in the Notrees, texas race the next year. I even won the pistol pete look a like contest with a purple mullet wig.

this may be a possibility for me if you want.
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Herbie could work too :)

Ed
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

The choices given above are excellent but I want to toss another one into the mix. Cameron Blackley.
Myself, I would be glad to help in anyway I can :)
I've already booked a room for BAP.
takotruckin

Post by takotruckin »

Man Tim that sounds like fun.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Yes. I figure Pistol Pete will be half of the fun!

Good thoughts guys. Lots to think about.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Tim, that is way cool! Very happy for you. Looking forward to following along.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Anyway we can help, lots of guys live close or willing to travel to help another STF guy out.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

How is the extract oil?
TimS

Post by TimS »

Steve Arndt wrote:How is the extract oil?
Some of what I know is proprietary, I believe. It is extraction with the help of CO2.

Here is the company website... http://goldenleafholdings.com/about-us/
TimS

Post by TimS »

We would be happy to meet up with whomever in Primm. Will be there 18th though Monday morning.

I don't imagine we would need help, per say, but encouragement and friendship always welcome. I'm not sure of our itinerary yet.
Qurtys Lyn

Post by Qurtys Lyn »

Tim, you bringing the buggy to Primm too?

We'll be racing at Primm again.
Fusername's evil twin

'72 Std Beetle - 1641 CC
BRAT Motorsports #936
TimS

Post by TimS »

No. See you there.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

We will see but I will try to get down there to check out the ride.

Ed