Old Race Cars Never Die [56 Build]

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Renchermh

Old Race Cars Never Die [56 Build]

Post by Renchermh »

This 56 was going to the junk yard almost 20 years ago. I keep it not knowing what I was going to do with it. It was just a shell and part of a cage. Like this old car I am a old 1600 racer. I decided that I wanted a play car, and I was going to make this a street car. It's coming along. I had a old race engine that will go into it. The old trans I had freshened up. I had a front end off my race car that I put on the 56. And have just been going through all my old parts. What I don't have I have started to purchase. To pass safety in Utah I had to fix some items. The e brake had to go back in luckily the tubes where mostly there. I will let you know more as I go along. the car is not perfect. it has been rolled a few times and it has holes cut all over it. I am not trying to make a new car just a play car out of it. Here are some pictures more to come as I start putting it together. Nothing set in stone so if you have any suggestions would like to hear them. It has been fun to start to use some of my old race parts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Renchermh on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
dustymojave

Re: Old Race Cars Never Die [56 Build]

Post by dustymojave »

Looks like a pretty nice Baja. Glad you saved it. Some folks will throw away just about anything.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
TimS

Post by TimS »

Nice transformation! I hope to see you at some of our slc off road events soon.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Just register it as an antique. Never have to have a safety inspection again. $10 a year to keep it registered every year after the initial $80 for the new tags. It's kinda what we all seem to be doing now. Makes life so much easier.

Looks like a fun project!
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

A very admirable rebuild so far. I don't know how Utah is but in other states the "Antique" license does limit your use of the car so I would check into that for sure.

Unless I already missed it... what are you going to do for propulsion on it?

Lee

What was good can always be better as you learn.
Renchermh

Post by Renchermh »

I know that if I register it as a antique you don't have to go get a safety inspection but by law you still have to meet the safety items and they can ticket you if your car does not pass all safety items. It also says that I will drive under 2000 miles a year. That being said, I want the antique plates so that is how I will register it.

As far as propulsion goes. I have a extra motor that was used for a backup in my 1600 race car that I will put into it. A bus IRS trans.

Because it has sat so long with open brake lines, I am replacing all the brake lines. Just finishing that up now. I am putting a CNC turning brake and Park lock in and will have pictures coming.

I had a pair of seats that came out of a Ford Mustang that are nice to sit in. It has been a tight fit but looks like they will work. Just finished making the set brackets for them.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

The safety is definitely an honor system type thing. But it's also common sense I'd hope. The mileage limits are a joke and they know it. They have never asked for an odometer reading, so they have no way of judging you on that one. The docs do say limited daily driving, or something to that effect. My car tends to get driven for 6 months of the year, if I'm lucky. I think it definitely did into the limited use category. I assume the Baja will see similar use right?
Renchermh

Post by Renchermh »

Everything you said is true. It seems that I am always getting hassled, something is always wrong, to noisy, fenders are to short, something wrong with the bumpers. Just easier to try and have everything working and right the first time.
Big Dave

Post by Big Dave »

Welcome to STF. Sweet car! I hope to see it in person one of these days. I love watching purist's heads explode when they see an oval baja.
I don't always show my signature. But when I do, it's in this area.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Big Dave wrote:........ I love watching purist's heads explode when they see an oval baja.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

......and in the early days my dad and uncles were cutting the tops off those things to make dune buggies.

I am way to claustrophobic to have a full bodied car in the first place. I cannot imagine having one with small windows and a small windshield also. But man they are so cool looking as a baja.

Love this car! Welcome to STF
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
Renchermh

Post by Renchermh »

New CNC brake and park lock With Bracket.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

You do realize that with that with using the single handle turning brake under hard use you could either go blind or need glasses don't you. :D Actually, w/o the use of both handles to "lock" the spiders, when needed, so that the application of both brakes can cause the open diff to act more like a locked setup (a light bit of pull on both handles at the same time). You can also accomplish the same thing with the single handle by a placing foot (if both are not being used at the same time) lightly on the brake pedal; that is what a lot of the rock climbers do if they don't have air lockers from what I understand.

Be careful with the park lock. They have a nasty habit of either releasing pressure to the rear wheels and letting the car roll or locking up so tightly that you have to open a bleeder valve to release the pressure. One reason they are not allowed in most states as a viable (mechanical) parking brake. My buggy still wears the branding of the park-lock letting loose.

Lee
Renchermh

Post by Renchermh »

Thanks for the info. I did know that they will slowly bleed off until they unlock. I have not heard of them not releasing pressure before. It will not be my main E-brake. I put the old cable e-brake back into the car. Some times it just easier to use the park lock for some things.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

They are not meant to do either problem but they can. The releasing might be just as simple as worn or not tight joints or components. The lock up I am not sure why but they do. I have had one side of a turning brake do the same thing also; it tured out to be an old flex hose being the problem.

As a secondary component they could still impead things but less likely to release when not wanted and the car not occupied assuming you also use the parking brake. :wink:
PhillipM

Post by PhillipM »

Yeah, I have a line lock and a mechanical handbrake for the same reason.