Old Race Cars Never Die [56 Build]

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
JUSSUMGUY

Re: Old Race Cars Never Die [56 Build]

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

Nice build! Looking forward to more updates.
As to the Classic tags if you read the current laws it says it is not to be a daily driver but can see limited street use and is to be used for club events etc. etc. If you read the laws for the pre 48 hot rods it says exactly the same thing so your car and my car could be considered as to look like a pre-48 hot rod. I would not worry about getting hassled for fenders bumpers etc. In the old days with a completely street legal plate yes we used to get hassled. Now a days I don't think that will happen. I'll let you know when I drive mine on the street.
Keep up the good work!
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

The concept of the "Classic" plates has been quite badly abused in the last few years. and by that I also mean by special interest groups trying to get around certain laws. Fenderless cars did have a time limit as has been said of ~'48 but fender less cars later than say ~ '34 were unusual in the hot rod genure. In the mid-50's I do remember seeing car magazines originating from the mid-west and east coast that featured cars were done in the style of what is now called rat Rods" but that style wasn't that common on the left coast.

I also remember the tire/fender laws origionally not allowing any of the tire outside of the fender then it was 3 treads then got losened up to pretty much what ever you wanted no matter how much water spray you put out (some of the land barges even with stock tires gave the full tire out of the fender a bad time spray wise).

I think in some states it has been moved up from ending with the '48 models to 25 years of age now.

Lee
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I haven't ever been pulled over. T-bars, howling un muffled turbo, and low. Granted, the car is a full bodied street car, including a decklid. I can imagine a cut up baja might draw a little more attention.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Want to get attention then drive down The Strip in Vegas with Bajas and a Rail. Only place I have had problems driving in is in certain parts of Ca.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

I got my Jamar Park-Lok for my buggy when Marv Shaw 1st introduced them back in the late 70s. The 2nd time I used it was on a hill and I pushed hard on the pedal, then locked. It wouldn't release until I opened a bleeder screw. I learned fast not to push the pedal so hard. Marv told me when I bought it that it should never be left locked for long. But otherwise, I've never had trouble with it. Like lots of other things, you just need to understand it's proper use and limitations. If I were to put my buggy on the street as I originally intended, it would get a cable parking brake.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Renchermh

Post by Renchermh »

The new wheels are here and painted. The wheels are from PRT Wheels. I would have loved to stay with Centerline. I do not have any left from my racing days for the rear. So I looked into getting the rears and I can get four new wheels from PRT for the price of two Centerline. My front Centerline are beat up, so i just went with four new wheels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Renchermh

Post by Renchermh »

I have started my dash. I am not much of a fabricator. My buddy that I used to race with is a fantastic fabricator. When we build our race car he did the all the nice stuff and I did the grunt work. I have always had trouble making good templates and getting the holes in the right spots. I was telling this to a friend who builds airplanes. He showed me how he does it. He uses thin Lexan to build the template with, This lets him see everything behind it. It makes it nice to see the holes that need to be drilled and where he needs to trim. It works really nice. Here is a picture of the template made of Lexan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Renchermh

Post by Renchermh »

Does anyone have any good designs they like for dash layout. I am using VDO Gauges. Tach, Speedo, Oil Temp, Oil Presser, Volt. The switches I need are. IGN, Fuel Pump, Horn, Blinker, Lights, Wipers, Fan, Off Road Lights, Radio, Backup, and Parker Pumper. Anything I forgot? Would like to use Indicator lights on most of the switches. Any ideas?
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

The idea of the see-through overlay is a good idea.

I posted a couple of pictures of an old trick I learned from some racers.

Make some card stock cutouts (to size) of your gauges putting the dials and numbers on them. Take some masking tape and make loops out of it to place on the back of the templates. Put your steering wheel in place then sit in your seat.

You already have your speedo located so the next thing is to organize which gauge goes where while making sure you can see it clearly and nothing obstructs it. Also, finding the order of which gauge goes where is a personal thing so make sure what is most important is close and clear of obstructions. Racers used to clock their gauges so the pointer is straight up when at the optimal setting; that way it is a quick glance to check things out. Digital gauges can be harder to read especially when it is bright outside and the sun hits them.

It may take a bunch of moves for you to be happy with them. if you have fresh paint or FG then don't let the tape sit on that surface too long as the chemicals in the tape can damage the surface. You can always take pictures to review at your leisure and if you remove the templates it is easy to place them back where you think you want them.

Lee
Renchermh

Post by Renchermh »

Sorry to anybody that was following this build. I had a lot of small stuff to finish up and there was nothing really to post. So new update. I finished most of the small things I need to do before I could start putting thinks together. All new brake lines are in and the new master cylinder are in. The tail lights and headlights where shipped and received, just waiting for the bumpers to be finished. I wanted to try and quiet the noise of the body down. I put some sound deadening material in the car. The carpet was put in and the e-brake, Gear shift, turing brake are in. I have make patterns for the door panels and rear panels. The steering shaft is being made. Hopefully more to post soon.
Renchermh

Post by Renchermh »

Back of baja with the sound deadening on it. I think it turned out well. Hope it works.
Renchermh

Post by Renchermh »

floor pan done.
Renchermh

Post by Renchermh »

carpet kit installed.
Renchermh

Post by Renchermh »

Another view of new carpet.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Wow! That sure is a clean race car. Nice work.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.