Radio and Intercom

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
takotruckin

Re: Radio and Intercom

Post by takotruckin »

I got it all wired up and working with a headset, then I took it out to the car and hooked the intercom up and it started transmitting all the time. Something in the circuitry of the intercom is connecting the mic- and speaker -. So I took my PTT switch apart and instead of switching PTT it now switches the mic -. I have good sound from the radio to the headset, when I push the PTT it will transmit. I can hear myself in the speaker a little bit and it sounds pretty crackly, but I don't know if that is normal. Someone at work has a scanner they are supposed to bring me so I can test the transmit quality. Hopefully it is OK. Then all I have to do is figure out wtf to do with all these cables I have now.
baja5

Post by baja5 »

So you didn't use the cables from rugged? You wired the PTT cable that came with the radio directly to the intercom?
takotruckin

Post by takotruckin »

baja5 wrote:So you didn't use the cables from rugged? You wired the PTT cable that came with the radio directly to the intercom?
I sacrificed the headset that came with the radio and wired the harness into fixed wing aircraft jacks, then put an inline remote ptt switch between the intercom and jacks.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Way to go, Taco!!
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
takotruckin

Post by takotruckin »

TimS wrote:Way to go, Taco!!
No celebrating till I get a positive transmission.
uh60ce

Post by uh60ce »

I hope you don't end up running into the same issue I did.

A lot of aircraft microphones(unless their a dynamic mic ) are designed to be powder by the radio (DC biased) . If your radio doesn't do that then you'll have to either build the circuit to do that, or change mics over to something compatible with your radio .Lots of info about this very subject on a few of the ham radio forums where others have tried (and in a few cases succeeded ) to build the same thing.

I ran into the no mic power issue trying to make my intercom work with a cb radio, but I haven't got around to building the required circuit to power up the mic and make them work together so I just use the radio's mic and monitor with the headphones which works just fine.
I suppose that if I ran with a group more often I'd have built this by now, but since I normally run solo having the radio hands free just is not a priority for me.
Last edited by uh60ce on Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
takotruckin

Post by takotruckin »

SUCCESS!!!! A coworker has a NASCAR scanner, so I was able to tune the baofeng to a NASCAR channel and sucessfully transmit. The sound quality is decent, but the MIC on the headset is MUCH more sensitive than the mic on the handset. The VOX on the intercom needs the headset less than 1-2 inches away, for good quality on the radio it needs to be about 5 inches away and will pickup lots of background noise. I may add a little resistance and see if that helps.
uh60ce

Post by uh60ce »

Glad you got it to work. What headset and intercom did you end up using?
TimS

Post by TimS »

Sweet! Let the DIY movement commence... Carry on soldier.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
takotruckin

Post by takotruckin »

uh60ce wrote:Glad you got it to work. What headset and intercom did you end up using?
The intercom is a SoftComm ATC2-Y that I got New, out of box from Ebay. From my research the intercom boxes are pretty much all the same. The newer ones have a cell phone plug so you can talk on your phone through the intercom, mine doesn't have that, but I think with little wiring I can do it through the recorder connections. It will play music, and cuts the volume about 75% if there is radio traffic or the VOX is activated.

The headset is a Rugged Air RA200. I didn't want to mess with possibly repairing a used headset, and the RA had great reviews for a budget headset and it was pretty cheap new on ebay.

The PTT is a standard cheap remote PTT from aircraft spruce. I got the headset jacks from them as well. I'm at about 220 invested including a Baofeng UV-82. I'm sure it could be done cheaper if someone had more time and patience. I missed a brand new intercom that sold for $50 by about 2 minutes...
takotruckin

Post by takotruckin »

I dug through my big-bag-O resistors and found that a 10k ohm wired into the MIC + gave me the best sound quality. Now all thats left is to put the jacks into a project box and then mount and route wiring in the car. I'm probably gonna add an external antenna to the baofeng. On the EIA with a UV-5R in the car I could always hear Tim in front of me, but would not be able to hear the guys in the back. I think the metal of the car blocks quite a bit of signal.
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

I think on the EIA you could hear Tim because he was not using a handheld while the rest of us were. External antenna will help.
TimS

Post by TimS »

I researched mag mount antennas a while ago for the boefeng. It seems there is a lot of testing and some good cheap recommendations. Let us know what you come up with.

Ed and I got 7 miles, GPS verified, straight line, two way, performance from his radio to mine. I think from handheld to handheld it is less impressive.

Also, if you wouldn't mind, a final schematic would be helpful for future reference.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Ok. I'm bringing this thread back to life as I have decided to buy a Baofeng radio. Like this week.

So which model? UV-82? UV-5R?

Which accessories are highest priority?

What about programming?

The Baofeng US website says that unless you buy from them, any warranty will have to be serviced by shipping the radio to the orient. But I can buy the radio for about 2/3 of the Baofeng US price (may have to pay shipping though)
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
baja5

Post by baja5 »

I recently picked up the 8 watt version of the UV-5R. They call it something else. Amazon had it for about $65.00. That was with the bigger 3600ma battery. From what I have read the battery not only extends the life but the range. I also ponied up for the $16.00 extermal antenna. So far it has worked well. Best I can tell so far the range is about 5-6 miles with some hills.