4 Seat Chenowth Repair

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
n8ball

Re: 4 Seat Chenowth Repair

Post by n8ball »

I had started a longer post, but lost it when my computer rebooted.

Here is the car with the ecotec.

I made the mistake of going on the Elko trip without gauges. It cost me a head gasket and the remainder of the trip. Head gasket is now replaced.

I also took one cv axle off that was making some noise. This is what it looks like. Not good. Why would it do this?

Also, the joint that ring came off of, had some visible grooves forming in the outer part. Is this joint dead?

I was using the stock intake pipe, because it had the bungs for a vac line and the MAF sensor. There was a long section of the collapsible black intake pipe that connected the filter to the end of the stock intake. I drilled a new hole in the filter housing for the MAF bung, and used an existing fitting for the vac line. Way less plumbing to get all that air through now.

And I am building a spare tire rack on the back. Here is the start of it, I cut it out on my plasma today.

no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Good to see it runs again Nate. You have all winter to fix all the stuff you found you need after your Elko trip. I was out at Kens yesterday turning out 4 pulleys for him and adding ball bearings to them to fix his hoist that ate the bushing it came with and he told me he talked to you when got your truck and trailer and he asked me about jumping my car :mrgreen:

Ed
TimS

Post by TimS »

When you replace the cv's, check your limit straps. the straps stretch. it looks like your axle might have been contacting the boot flange. You can also clearance the flange like I did on my race car.

I would run those cv's. I can't really see anything abnormal, they usually fail by pitting, in my experience, but if there is a grove or something to catch the balls, sand it out until smooth and run it, IMO.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
n8ball

Post by n8ball »

Adding an air scoop to direct a little more air to the radiator. I really enjoyed having the windshield, but it restricts the airflow. I think this will help. It also works as a floor for the roof rack.

TimS

Post by TimS »

All you really need are some gull wing doors and a heater. Looks good. Be interesting to see how it performs.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
n8ball

Post by n8ball »

Doors? Yes. Gullwing? Probably not. I am thinking suicide. Doors that is. But if I keep spending money on this, my wife will make it look like a suicide.
TimS

Post by TimS »

No need. The strangest thing could happen and everyone will just be like, "Man, what did he do to piss off carma?" I think I've uttered that phrase a few times.
n8ball

Post by n8ball »

After I found chocolate milk on my dipstick, I came to the realization that I should have had the head resurfaced when I replaced the head gasket.

So this time I got the head milled. And I painted the engine while it was apart. Another new head gasket, another set of (torque to yield) head and cam sprocket bolts.

I tried charging for 2 days to get enough juice out of the old red top optima to kick it over with no luck.

Tonight I finally got her fired up with a jump battery. Gotta pick up a new optima this weekend. But she's a runner. Again. For now......

I got a photo resize app, but the first attempt apparently didn't work. I thought it was set to 480x5xx, but I got an error that said the file was too large. I'll try again and try to post pics of my pretty junkyard ecotec.
n8ball

Post by n8ball »

Looks like it worked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Did you install a temperature gauge? :)
n8ball

Post by n8ball »

The temp, RPMs and what ever else I want will be on my phone screen. It is part of the obd fusion app on my phone and Bluetooth adaptor in the OBD 2 port.

Some how I scored a free new blue top optima battery to replace the old redtop.

The in line thermostat housing should be delivered tomorrow at work. Then I am ready for testing. I'd like to hit Delle and get some high speed video running next to I80.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Thanks for mentioning the resize app. I just picked one and it seemed to work pretty good.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Are you posting direct from your phone without tapatalk? That would be fricken sweet.

Sorry.....Nate, killer to see you putting the buggy back together! Thanks for taking the time to share.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
n8ball

Post by n8ball »

Yeah I just picked one of the first couple resize apps for iPhone in the App Store. Open app, pic a photo, tell it the size then save. Post it straight from phone.
TimS

Post by TimS »

https://youtu.be/G2taiW-RPLc

Video of Nate's wireless obd-2 guages. Pretty cool. Also notice how little vibration there is in that engine. As I pulled out my camera to video, his phone was just sitting on top of the engine going nowhere. Pretty amazing.