Ed's Baja Bug build.

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
no1clyde

Re: Ed's Baja Bug build.

Post by no1clyde »

dustymojave wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:01 pm Nothin's ever easy is it?
No it is not and my week of time has been interrupted too :evil: I should be back on it Sunday I am hopping. I do have it mounted and the shifter, clutch, throttle and starter working. The motor is in the same place as in the mounts have not moved but it is now much more level and that has changed some things but it will work out.

Ed
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

Ah, the good old days, I still laugh when I think about Ed's bug on three wheels![IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201706 ... c15e4d.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

bajaherbie wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:54 pm Ah, the good old days, I still laugh when I think about Ed's bug on three wheels.
That was quite a day for sure :shock: I also laugh to my self when I think about that 65 mile drive on three wheels :lol: You don't know how happy I was to see my welded spindle back on the car :D Thank you Herbie and everyone there for all the help getting me going again and being able finish such a outstanding trip.

Ed
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

I drove it today for the first time since just after the EBA. After the EBA I decided to change the front suspension and it was in my shop on jack stands when the flood came. I had 39 inches of muddy water in the shop and the poor Baja was stuck there. The motor didn't sound good after and the clutch was stuck and the trans messed up so I splurged on the Baja as a reward for living through the flood :shock: The Baja got a reversed Subaru 5 speed, a different motor just like the other one and the front suspension got finished.

My first impressions are all good, the transmission gears are great and of coarse they match the motor perfectly and now it has a Subaru starter and clutch. Next the new motor feels stronger than the old one but it could be the 5 speed :D The front suspension didn't get much of a work out yet but I did go messing around at the mine we left from on the EBA and it felt good but more testing is coming.

Today in front of my house complete with sand bags :evil: Over all a great day.

Ed
TimS

Post by TimS »

Well done. Did you wire up a different conversion harness or did you use the same one?
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

I used the old harness but had to change the new motor to a 2 plug from a 3 plug setup.

Ed
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Ha Ha!!! Igor...

It LIVES!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Good to hear you took a first trip in it. What are your ideas on the tranny, have you thrashed it yet?
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Everything got thrashed this weekend Leather and I did have a few problems, some expected and not :shock: The trans is great but I need to go back and do a better job on the shift linkage and clutch linkage but the gears are VERY nice. The charging system and a flood gremlin and the motor had a you don't know me yet so let me mess with you moment. Today Kyle and I were cleaning coarse and we met Tim and Nate and that meant we had finished the job and was heading back to the pit and a 1/2 mile away it quit running, Nate towed me in. After looking enough I found the cam sensor had fallen out of the head so I pushed back in and it ran again so a use a different bolt to hold it in and I am happy to say I drove back home the 120 miles trouble free :D One thing the Subaru trans did is level out the motor witch lowered the oil pan and I knew I would have to shorten it but after this weekend it will happen sooner :roll: :lol: it took a good shot. And on that note I got it stuck and Tim had to pull me out so I was on the strap 2 times this weekend so I got to work on things :lol:

Also I meet CWB for the first time and followed him some and also led but got us lost :? I rode in his fine car and had fun driving mine with him in his car, nice to meet you CWB and wife. We also had great races in both races and everybody had a blast with all of us as coarse workers. I am glad I had my problems here with this bunch to help when needed and I will be going back to work on it.

Ed
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

Leather, i think it is safe to say that ed thrashed the baja this weekend. I rode quite a few miles with him and he did not baby it!
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Fun weekend for sure and super cool to meet you too Ed. I love this car, and I love the way Ed drives it knowing he still has to drive it home LOL.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

1, 2, 3 or 4 tires still bolted on and Ed is ready to go!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Daron thanks for the love and I had a blast driving with you guys :lol:

Herbie I try :mrgreen:

It was so nice to get it dirty and cover some of the mud still on it with DIRT :D Since getting home I have pressure washed it two times and took the package tray out for the last blasting, so soon I have to get it back into the shop. With the package tray out I did get the clutch working right and made the shifter better but it may get changed to back into the tunnel later still.

Ed
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

Thanks for the ride, Ed! Good times!
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Your welcome Kyle, I had a blast the whole weekend :D

Ed