Ed's Baja Bug build.

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
no1clyde

Re: Ed's Baja Bug build.

Post by no1clyde »

A little update since Jackpot. I am going to drive it to Knolls Utah (150 miles) Friday for a BOR race and have been doing things to get it ready. It now has a shortened oil pan and skid plate from the front trans to the back of the motor, a new rod from the shifter to the trans, a clutch adjustment and a set Toyota 4runner seat belts so it is now ready for some more testing LOL.

Ed
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

Put a number on it and race sportsman!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Can't do that Herbie, I need it next month to go on the Utah trip. Working the coarse I get to drive the coarse as fast as I want at times and that is enough fun for me :D

Ed
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Well I had a good time at the race this weekend and the race went with out a hitch. BUT I did manage to break a front arm and had to use Tims trailer to bring it home, THANKS TIM. So I have 3 weeks to make repairs for the Utah trip.

Ed
Last edited by no1clyde on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

Better to have the arm break at the race than on the trip. I can't believe it sheared the arm right off at the beam.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Yes it was good timing. It is apart now and a good fix for the trip is in the works and this winter I am building a new set of lower arms. For now though all 4 are getting reinforced.

Ed
TimS

Post by TimS »

I did get a good highway test of my car, so thanks for that. Cruises well. It held up to some good abuse at knolls. Also my first time in deep soft endless sand. It was a fun time. My "bearing noise" is still the same. I was kind of hoping it would get louder and make itself more obvious.

I'm glad j was able to help and thanks for giving me an excuse not to drive through salt lake City again. I'll take "149 miles" of no services over city traffic any day. I also took a route I've never taken before through Holbrook and Rockland. Whole lotta nutin.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Well another 783 mile adventure done but with some problems but for the most part I was ready for them :roll:

My Subaru trans has changed the axle position at the trans and I have more to do but have some ideas to make it like it was with the VW trans, I wish I would have started with the Subaru trans as it is awesome. I also found out that 3 years ago I forgot to weld the rear engine cage mounts to the frame and just tacked them in and that cause me some problems when being pulled out of the sand when it moved and broke the radiator hose and ac line but I had a hose and with a ratchet strap was good to go but I did earn the most broken award :oops:

Great trip and I now have winter work and more of an idea what I need do :D We (me and my car) will be better for next years adventure but this trip went pretty well overall :D

Ed
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

My car as it is now. Just figured out I can do pics off of the samba.

Our trip this year went to Saline Valley hot springs.

This year went alot better for me and my car as I had no real problems on the 910 mile drive through socal and DV so I am happy not to be having to work on it this winter :)

Ed