Unidentified 2-Seater Build - WBX 091-1 with Aircooled 1915

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
jimmyhoffa

Unidentified 2-Seater Build - WBX 091-1 with Aircooled 1915

Post by jimmyhoffa »

I've been working on my 2-seater sand rail for a while now, but I have come to a point where I am definitely about to do a bad job at a few things and I need the wisdom of the desert/enduro buggy sage.

I've been taking hold of the low hanging fruits of buggy labour, and have gone forward from these pictures...

Here's some of the finest, this thing was legitimately a piece of trash. It was cheap, and it has notarized paperwork. Goin' street legal.

Here's a fine drunken shock install, 3 different brands and stroke length, organized in no particular order.

Fine bits for the roadside fixin'

Popped in to take a test drive, but I discovered it had no wheels or tires and no engine and it had enjoyed a small electrical fire.

Lookin' fine....

That's it. This thing was never worked on or driven sober. Conversation over, skillful labor or driving never occured to or in this car. Image
Last edited by jimmyhoffa on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Vendi Vidi Boomski
I came. I saw. I crashed.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Unidentified 2-Seater Build - Ecotec L61 with Vanagon 09

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Welcome to STF: so you don't disappear like the other Mr. Hoffa did, is: "desert/enduro buggy" what you plan on doing with your "long back" rail? You didn't say where you are going to ride at (roughly what part of the country are you in). The word "endure" leaves a lot of room for 'use and abuse' open. :wink:

The style of rail you have is a pretty common one occasionally seen up for sale so it could be made by any one of several companies. It is a nice looking rail and it looks like you have a fairly good start for a nice toy depending on how you plan on using it.

You will find that we are pretty good about spending other people's money so: ... is there a rough budget and is there a time line? Also, how are your building skills as buy and installing is a bit different than designing, making and installing.

You have a ball-joint front beam which will limit front suspension travel to the 4" to 6" range; the travel limitations is in the ball-joint itself. There are racing classes that require BJ beams so you can have a lot of fun with them as long as you don't think you need more travel. A King and Link (K&L) front beam with some easy mods can get you ~ (roughly/about) 8" to 10" of travel using stock arms. The K&L spindles are not the strongest so how much pounding do you plan on putting your rail through? The distance between upper and lower torsion tubes is different between the BJ and K&L beams, something like 1/2" if I remember correctly but it should be fairly easy to make things fit. If you are going to be rough on the car then I don't recommend using an Aluminum beam.

Your rails rear suspension is 4-joint IRS which is good. Even with stock arms you can get some decent travel out of it. As far as shocks go, again the amount of abuse expected determines shocks as does the arms themselves and if you are planning on using the torsion bars or coil over shocks like Fox or King.

Your engine choice sounds pretty good as does the transaxle choice. With the stock suspension you will have some parts to buy. Here is some basic things to keep in you favorites list to refer to every-so-often: http://www.blindchickenracing.com/How_t ... nd_cvs.htm

If it were me I would take everything out of your rail and do a check over to see just what you have. With all the distraction gone thing may look a bit different and probably for the better too.

Make yourself a notebook and keep a log including receipts (you never know...). Write out you plans and list you budget to compare to when done (some fun to read it when you are though). Remember that changing your mind about directions to go is OK as long as it isn't too much in too many different directions. :wink: It is also good for the next owner to know what has been done when the rail changes hands.

Keep your build up-to-date please it is fun to follow builds and who know, you might be helping someone else.

Lee
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

That looks like a good start!

You need to add a few more rear shocks though. Five per side should offer a nice aesthetic.
motorbreath53

Post by motorbreath53 »

You're being far too hard on the "Bad, Salty Dog" from where i'm sitting. It looks as if it was hastily disassembled by the PO. Taking his favorite goodies for his "next" ride. But looks like a perfectly reasonable start.

Where's the updated pics?
Baja5 was right...
Big Dave

Post by Big Dave »

Welcome to the first pile.
I'd say its a good start. You could put a link pin beam and some 3x3s on it and have an excellent desert/sand car without tossing a whole bunch parts. You have a good frame and lots of the little bits that tend to add up when starting from scratch.
I don't always show my signature. But when I do, it's in this area.
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

its "dirt pile" big dave :roll: :lol:
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

bajaherbie wrote:its "dirt pile" big dave :roll: :lol:
I i i i i don't know Hoib, he might just be right with the "first pile" bit! :wink: Bwaahahaha!
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

Welcome to the dirt pile! That chassis will make a very good starting point.
jimmyhoffa

Post by jimmyhoffa »

Haha you guys are a jolly bunch! I like it here immediately. I posted up on "that other place" a long while ago and the conversation wasn't nearly as lighthearted, and nobody typed for like 5 hours to help me start out. Many beerz for y'all.
I'm from St. Louis, MO so I'll just be beating the buggy up at off-road parks and such and I have papers so I'll probably put lots of street miles on it too.

I just want a general semi-high-performance bash buggy, to act kinda like a enduro motorcycle, where I can just go places and camp or see what it feels like to be upside down in a car.

Anyways, I fell asleep too early when I posted those, and I now have progress to share since I am awake.
Stripped the chassis clean. Then, I bolted a new ball joint beam up I had.

Then I realized I was stupid and I should just build an 8" travel +6" warrior beam like Big Dave said, so I got those roll-yer-own-beam prefab towers and made one on a quick jig table to make it square. Most of the dimensions are within a few thousands.

I made new frame "horns" and machined some aluminum clamps to hold the new beam since obviously the spacing is different like fogasaurus said and I hate those stupid stamped beam clamps anyways. I'm gonna gusset up the front tastefully and strengthen the beam clamp bolt areas.

Oh I also re-did the seat mounts and got a new steering wheel and a SWEET spline-style wheel disconnect FO FREE! Racing buddies. :-)

WARNING: When I waste time and build stuff that I can clearly buy race-proven versions of that everyone uses already, it's because I feel like it and want to see what I can do, and I am a ridiculous penny pincher sometimes just for the enjoyment of doing the pinching. NEXT UP? homemade jig table for 2.5x2.5 rear trailing arms so I can use type 2 stock bus axles. Savin' money on axles and arms! That's me! I need those arms so the buggy's rear track width will match the front +6 beam better.
Vendi Vidi Boomski
I came. I saw. I crashed.

Post by 560 »

Looks to be a good start to a great build.

Mike
Jackpot motorsports
motorbreath53

Post by motorbreath53 »

Wasting time to build your "own" version is what this place is all about... (see DesertGuys new ride... or either one of the twin Things)
Baja5 was right...

Post by 560 »

motorbreath53 wrote:Wasting time to build your "own" version is what this place is all about... (see DesertGuys new ride... or either one of the twin Things)
I had a bit of a snicker on this quote..... :wink:
I have no room to talk. :|

Mike
Jackpot motorsports
Sandbar Norm

Post by Sandbar Norm »

I like the choice of racks.
A lot of the fun is building the stuff for your buggy as I to am financilly challanged (no money) for my buggy.
So I build it.
You have a great start.
Norm
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g42 ... ecbc39.jpg
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Yep... it did clean up nice.

I like the machine work you've done which simplified things a lot. it looks like you know what you are doing and are creating something different than we normally see.

Am I right in assuming that the lower tube is through bolted with torsion bars only in the top tube?

One of the things that is done is to put an X-member on the front of the upper rails to add some additional support and rigidity to the front end.

Keep it up, good ideas are never turned down. 8)

Lee
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Can you give us more details on the steering rack? I'm looking for a powered rack that is narrow and slim like that.

Very interested in your rear arm fabrication. Don't be shy with the pics ;)