Unidentified 2-Seater Build - WBX 091-1 with Aircooled 1915

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
jimmyhoffa

Re: Unidentified 2-Seater Build - WBX 091-1 with Aircooled 1

Post by jimmyhoffa »

well... I'm betting my brakes aren't quite as powerful as yours then. Sooo.. maybe I shouldn't go hog wild cutting my turning brake handle down to 3" or any funny business like that. Maybe I'll split the difference, as I have the "best" OEM-component drum setup. I guess that's like having the "best handling" Ford Expedition, or the "fastest" VW camper van... 8)
Vendi Vidi Boomski
I came. I saw. I crashed.
GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

Hey FordFreak, You can just copy the image address from the top of your browser when you have the image you want to share and then paste the link in your post here. Then just highlight the entire address that gets pasted and type in the image tags at each end of it. You had a bunch of extra stuff added onto the end of your pic link that is not needed to make the link work.

Post that in your comments where you want the pic to show up. Then, right before the beginning of the link, you would type the image tag "img". After the end of the link you close the image tags by typing "/img". You have to replace the quotation marks with square brackets to make it work though.

It's even easier if you use the "Full Editor" button when making your post. Once you do that you have the option of just highlighting the entire pic link again, once you put it where you want it to show up in your post, and then just hit the "Img" button at the top of your screen.

Doing that to the last pic you tried to post comes up with this (after I cut all the extra info tacked onto the end of it).

Oops... your pic is too large and the forum won't allow it to post. It needs to be resized to 800x600 or smaller to be able to post it. In that case all I can tell you is to post the link and then use the URL button instead of the Img button. That will make it into a clickable link so people can look at the pic directly in your PhotoBucket album.

Like this -> http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u190 ... gc5dft.jpg

It's hard to try to describe the process because the forum software thinks I'm trying to insert pics wherever I type the info I'm trying to show you. Hope that helps a little at least.
Home made rail (street legal), 1600 DP, 34PICT-3, T3 brakes, 4-1 glass-pack exhaust, 31's in back and 7.00x15's up front. Link to build thread: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=147561&p=1227553#p1227553
fordfreak

Post by fordfreak »

Lol sorry you had to type all that. I'm familiar with all that, I was just posting from myb phone and it died so I didn't get a chance to fix. Gimme a few min and I'll fix the link
fordfreak

Post by fordfreak »

Here we go
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

No prob. Just trying to help out. :wink:

BTW, I like how compact your turning brake setup is. Does the ball on the handle hit your leg in that position?
Home made rail (street legal), 1600 DP, 34PICT-3, T3 brakes, 4-1 glass-pack exhaust, 31's in back and 7.00x15's up front. Link to build thread: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=147561&p=1227553#p1227553
jimmyhoffa

Re: Unidentified 2-Seater Build - WBX 091-1 with Aircooled 1915

Post by jimmyhoffa »

OOoooooOOkay. Back in action. Got a dog we had to raise/train real quick, someone chucked him out of a car window into a Dollar General parking lot and left. He's all potty trained up and gettin' big fast. He wears out my 90-pounder.

Then I got a new job designing automated machinery. We make things like air-mattress folding machines, automatic laser welders, robotic recycling machines, etc. Whatever you need that doesn't exist, we do that. I was about to die in the purgatory of manufacturing engineering. I'm all about the big ideas and creating things.

When I found out all the guys at work build stuff, so it motivated me to finish my commuter bike real quick, because all the roads to shop are super twisty. He finished a Harley chopper about the same time I finished the quick Supermoto build on the KTM I had. You kinda get a public shaming from the owner if you don't ride or drive something you built. He only hires our type.

Also I bought a house on 1.6 acres right in town, still secretly secluded in a cool way. It has a two car wide two car tall garage.

Now: Buggy. I have been working on the dash, I wanted a modular one that just clamped on so it would be easy to move, service or transfer to a different frame if that ever happened.

Making it clamp-on seemed like a good bet. I also decided I could fit all of the electronics for the whole car in the dash too, because buggy electricals are slightly less complicated than my lawn tractor.

(That black bar on top of my buggy's nose is the rear bumper from a 2007 BMW 328i, ignore it)

Vendi Vidi Boomski
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

No doubt you have some mad skills! Dogs are awesome if you like that sorta thing and I do. Congrats on the new daily gig, hope it works out to be a fun place to put in time at. As a boss I always strive for that.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Jimmy here is my boy

He is around 160 lbs and 4 years old, we call him our toy boy :D

I also have a 07 525EXC but mine is a dual sport dirt bike. It would be nice to work in a place like you are at :D
Also nice work on your car.

Ed
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Yea, it's hard to argue about home made titanium[unobtanium?]. I've been wondering what rock you crawled up under.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Cool dogs. All 3 of 'em.

I miss our "Goof". He was similar to Ed's, but not quite as big. He was 135lbs and used to like to droop his head and rest his chin on the dinner table. We'd bump the table towards him and he would back up, tuck his tail and lay on the floor. I always call him my son's twin, because they were born the same week. He passed away at 12 after 4 years of insulin diabetes. 2 shots a day and special food that between them cost about $250/month plus regular vet checkups with expensive lab bills. Not that EZ to get urine samples from a dog to test for how much insulin to give him.

Any of you guys need shots, call me.

Sounds like a cool job.

What will keep the dash from rotating down from vibration/impact/knee bumps/etc.?
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
jimmyhoffa

Post by jimmyhoffa »

No1clyde and centralWAbaja, We've always loved dogs, and when our big black lab passed away we figured we'd go without for a few years. That lasted a full 4 days until we found Hank at a local shelter, starved down to half his weight and scared of everything.

As for my 525exc, I still have the dirt wheels for it, and it is my dual-sport/woods bike on the weekends when it isn't a commuter. Our '07s are the most reliable and only factory street legal year!

Dusty, I thought about the dash rotation thing, but it is very well balanced with the fuse block and associated hardware mounted inside. I didn't know how well the clamps would hold it from rotating, but it is quite stout. I just finished the sheet metal cover for it, which was way harder than I imagined to fit up.

First I took care of the wiring, which was kinda an explosion and really needed to be sorted and tidied.

Got some GM PCV grommets from the HELP! section at the auto parts place, they're PERFECT for this:

Next, I started roughing in the sheet metal for the cover:

Correct fitment is VERY tedious. That is my 3rd "roof" I made for the dash. It finally clicks into place. I don't use a bending brake very often so every time it's a different (borrowed) one and I have to learn how it handles and where it centers the radius.

Since it was the Time of the Celebration of the America and stuff, there were a lot of explosions and Hank doesn't like explosions. He doesn't like sheet metal trimming noises either, but they are better than explosions so he spent the evening cowering in the shop. I know he looks photogenic but he's actually crapping brix in this picture.
Vendi Vidi Boomski