Chuck's Baja Build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
chuckput

Re: Chuck's Baja Build

Post by chuckput »

Steve Arndt wrote:Is the big bad baja street legal? I wish mine looked like that sometimes.

Okay, half of the day...
Yes, I am keeping it street legal (barely). I'll be keeping the front windshield (and wipers) but no door glass or rear glass. Rear side glass has been replaced with Lexan and a scoop on the oil cooler side. Hopefully I won't get too much hassle from Johnny Law. The El Centro Chief of Police owns a race ready Crumco (you can see it on their web site).
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

Since I mentioned it, I thought I'd post a pic of the Baja the El Centro Chief of Police owns (at least I assume he still owns it - I haven't seen it in a while) :)

Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

That is the Crumco chassis cop car right?

yup, I can read... :)
Last edited by Steve Arndt on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

Great start!
Drive over to Yuma to get gas? :D
Devastator's Build Thread

Sandrail

2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec

"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

chuckput wrote:Since I mentioned it, I thought I'd post a pic of the Baja the El Centro Chief of Police owns (at least I assume he still owns it - I haven't seen it in a while) :)

From my neighborhood to yours. Built just a couple blocks over from my place and my son has worked on that car of Jim McGinty. When the Chief of Police of your town drives that, you had better not get rousted by cops about your Baja. When it comes to getting it street licensed, talk to the Chief about what will be needed.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Chuckput, would you mind if I, or you cross-reference your posts on hanging pedals, and changing torsion bars to this build? I think this build deserves them to be complete as there is a lot of dialogue that needs to be together.

Lee
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:Chuckput, would you mind if I, or you cross-reference your posts on hanging pedals, and changing torsion bars to this build? I think this build deserves them to be complete as there is a lot of dialogue that needs to be together.

Lee
Lee, since I'm not sure how to cross-reference my post, please go ahead. Thank you!
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

For reference: two additional strings that support this build

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=143723 (suspension)

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=143615 (hanging pedals)

I could have, and maybe should have, referenced your build to the other two posts but if you want you could do that yourself. I am beginning to think I should have done this and I have seen other builds that I wish had done it also.

Lee
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

What's the latest?
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

Steve Arndt wrote:What's the latest?
I finally got the reverse swing, remote reservoir pedals hung. Someone told me I would have problems with the steering because the pedals and the steering shaft have to occupy the same space. I was successful and it only took three u-joints. I am also working on the wiring. I created a box that holds my relays, fuse blocks, and terminal blocks. Technically, I guess, the engine could be running by next weekend, if I had a fuel tank. I have a friend who is building me a custom fit one, but he is doing it in his spare time which can be in short supply. My plan is to have it all up and running by the time of the SCORE Plaster City race at the end of April. All I need is the front bumper and headlights, new torsion bars (with Atom Werks raised spring plates), and drive axles (and, oh yeah, the fuel tank!!).

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

The rats nest is kind of distracting but it looks pretty good. Just in case, if you have more than three universals you should have a support in the center link. I still like the simple, clean dash.

Lee
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:The rats nest is kind of distracting but it looks pretty good. Just in case, if you have more than three universals you should have a support in the center link. I still like the simple, clean dash.

Lee
Lee, just up from the rack and pinion, before the middle u-joint I have a giant heim joint (the big 3/4" nut). The big rat's nest is my wiring in progress. The "Black Box" is a water proof box I found which holds my relays, fuse blocks, and terminal blocks
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

If you have any weird feedback/binding in the steering, you may have to go back and "clock" those top two joints though.

Good job getting it snaked through there.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

I t has been a while since I've updated my build. Here is a little before and after rear suspension shots:

Before:

After (courtesy of 3-inch lift spring plates from Atom Werk Engineering):

Fuel tank installed:

Trial fit of the front end:

Engine all ready to go:

I have had the engine running and today I installed the axels. Right now I am having an issue with my starter not wanting to engage. It worked great a few days ago and now it just spins.

My goal is to have it drivable by April 27th. SCORE will be having their Imperial Valley 250 race that weekend and I plan to be a course worker and I would love to be out there in my bug instead of my Honda Ridgeline :lol:
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

Sometimes I think my build is going slow (it is), but when I look at past pictures I have posted I know that I have come a long way (but still a long way to go). Sometimes I feel like I have taken three steps forward then two steps back. My shocks have provided me with just a few headaches. I purchased them used from a friend (he had just purchased a 1/2 1600 car and was going with King by-pass shocks). One of the front shocks was damaged to a point that it was no longer usable or rebuildable. So I ended up having to purchase new ones. At the rear I am running dual reservoir shocks. I gave them to the guy who fabricated my cage, but for whatever reason the hose on the rear most of the two shocks interferes with the front shock. Luckily my buddy was able to modify them with a 45 degree fitting that allows the clearance I needed.

I have been working on the front end. New bumper, hood pins, Dzus fasteners, headlight mounts, and on and on. Here's some pics: