Chuck's Baja Build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
dustymojave

Re: Chuck's Baja Build

Post by dustymojave »

Leatherneck wrote:You need some more stickers
My philosophy on stickers is that they only get applied if I am getting paid for them to be shown to others. i have never been one to put stickers on because "they look cool". Their whole point is to advertise for the business they represent.

Look at pics of my car.

Now.... STF-ORF stickers are a different story...

I think Chuck's car looks GREAT right now.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

:roll:
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
TimS

Post by TimS »

I put stickers on to cover rust spots.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

bajaherbie wrote::roll:

Yup!
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

Today I got it dirty!!!

20141129_115838.jpg
20141129_115926.jpg
20141129_115850.jpg
Did about 10 miles driving out to Plaster City, another 15 or so tooling around and then the 10 miles back home. No huge issues. I may need to do a little trimming on the front fenders.

This does not mean the car is finished (as we all know). There are some jobs that I need to do that will keep me busy for a good while. I also think there is a visit to the powder coater in the near future to take care of the the roof rack, front bumper, rear engine cage, and the side sprint bars.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by chuckput on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Nice Job 8)
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

How do you reach the cooler? My arms are too short grab a beverage with it way up there...

:)
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Steve Arndt wrote:How do you reach the cooler? My arms are too short grab a beverage with it way up there...

Co-dog takes care of that.
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

Steve Arndt wrote:How do you reach the cooler? My arms are too short grab a beverage with it way up there...

Actually, we just load the cold ones in the roof top cooler. I installed a vending device in the cabin. The real problem is getting the quarters out of your pocket while driving.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

I keep the cold ones in the car and only stop when I need to recycle the empties into the trunk.
TimS

Post by TimS »

I dream of having a combination a/c vent - beer dispenser... But I doubt that will ever happen.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

Nice job!
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

dustymojave wrote:
Leatherneck wrote:You need some more stickers
Look at pics of my car.

Now.... STF-ORF stickers are a different story...

I think Chuck's car looks GREAT right now.
BTW...The stickers showing in the window of my car in this photo are:
- A.R.T.S. Tech Inspection. It's what I do. Head of the outfit Art Savedra is now the Chief of Tech for SCORE.
- Sticker commemorating the 2010 MORE 5-1600 Championship for the AGS race team
- Sticker commemorating the 2011 MORE 5-1600 Championship for the AGS race team
I've been a member of the AGS race team for many years, including in the car during racing. My son Warren (3gtech) was in the car during those 2 race seasons and the team also "won" the HDRA 5-1600 Championship in 2012 by points achieved, but was not credited with it due to a technicality requiring a Champion to have competed in all events of the season. The 2012 MORE Championship went down to the wire with even tally at the green flag and after leading the class for most of the last race, a broken gearbox took them out of the win, while the engine builder won the Championship and they took 2nd.
- There is also a SoCalBajas sticker on the back window.
It would have STF-ORF stickers if I ever had any of them.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

It has been a while since I have updated my build. The biggest change has been moving from torsion leaves and Fox reservoir shocks on the front end to Fox coil overs with Fox twin bypass shocks. Had the roof rack, rear cage, front bumper, side nerf bars, and outside mirror brackets all powder coated. Nothing fancy - just your basic black. Having fun with the car and trying to get the front suspension dialed in. Special thanks to my buddy Davin who has the mad fabrication skills. He did the roof rack, mirror brackets, and the new mounts for the front shocks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Tried to see if I could photo shop it OK.

I tried to get more detail of Chucks Baja this morning.
Last edited by Ol'fogasaurus on Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.