Topic of the Day...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
bajaherbie

Re: Topic of the Day...

Post by bajaherbie »

Do you or your wife play golf?

In the 9th grade I quit on hole number 7 after hitting 2 in the creek. Never played again. My mom was great, she won the local golf championship 8 or 9 times and when she was 60 or so she finished 3rd in the state amateur championship.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

So when I changed my odometer it was set back to zero the insurance company asked and we told them 700 as that is What it is now. We told them it was replaced as it was broken. They now want to do an inspection.
So I'm worried about a few things because I'm not 100 percent legal. In terms of fenders and other small things. I think ill be ok ill have to use stock belts for it and make sure that blinker that doenst work is fixed. Besides that I think ill be fine.

Is there any other things I should address?

Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

The frame head that is not bolted to the beam? Geico will no longer insure the rail because the hartford reported it to carfax as totaled. Now it's a sacrificial title for the next spec/dune vin app.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Yes, I ran into that same thing not too long ago cbeck. It turned out it was a good thing I checked before I bought.

On golf: I played it a couple of times in the late 60s or early 70. I can see that it can be fun but also frustrating. Said that to some of the guys who were practicing and they laughed and definitely agreed. My wife used to put on a tournament for Special Needs kids when I first met her but things changed so they couldn't continue with it. She watches the Pros and enjoys it.

I found out today that the tournament starts on Sunday and goes through Wednesday. It is being video'd in the AM and live in the PM. Not sure just how local the broadcast will be. The sun out and it is getting warm. Next week they are forecasting in the 90s and this is at ~4000 feet.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

I have aaa and the framehead will stay on for a bit. If that's a major insurance issue I should probably keep it on and just reinforce around it. So it is hardly used just there for looks basically.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Sorry about dragging on about the golf thing but I am finding it very interesting.

We walked down to the golf lodge last night (I also bought a cool hat there) and learned some things. Two of which is there are at least two women in the tournament for one and this is a higher level that I was originally told it was.

The entry fee was $300.

Today is "cut day" trimming the field down from the 300+ participants' to somewhere in the low 90s.

During the several days of practice I saw three lady caddies hauling the bags around; two of them looked older than the third one and did OK but the third one was having a hard time by the time they got to the hole in front of us. I got the impression that she was the "friend" of one of the golfers. I talked to one of the lady caddies for a couple of minutes during practice, about what was going on. I/we were very confused as everyone thought that the tournament was Thursday through Sunday but she said it was Sunday through Wednesday. I also found out that the lady caddy had flown in from New York for the tournament to caddy. She was very nice and articulate.

The tournament started today at 7:30 am (local) and the first group just got to us at 9:25 am. There is a paved track for the golf carts following around the perimeter of the course; as the group of golfers come in the 8th hole tee, some come in with no followers, a singular follower and ranging to a fairly large group of followers. The first group of four came to the tee in front of us had a large group of followers including one lady in a wheel chair. The younger adults naturally sat on the single bench on the outside of the cart track while the older adults stood (In pain? :roll: :wink: :lol: ) on the asphalt pavement.

The sun is out, there is almost no wind, the dew had evaporated, the kids are in the pool (by-the-way, the pool is a salt water pool as the salt naturally helps keep the pool cleaner necessitating the need for less chemicals to be added and less often) and all is well.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

DSCN0769.JPG
This is the view of the 8th Tee and part of the fairway from our window.

What this tournament it is the participants are mostly golf pros from different golf clubs. Something like $70K goes to the top few players. Also, a limited number are also allowed to play in the PGA tournaments. Today and tomorrow this course, then the cut and they then play on the other course here at Sun River.

I came in a few minutes ago as it got too hot sitting on the bench. One of the guys who sat with me knew a lot about what was going on and a couple of the Course Marshals, the ones who also kept score, did talk to us a bit.

The thing that looks like a flower in the trees is not there nor it is on the glass of the window or slider. Hmmmm!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Back home now. Got to see the first day of the 50th PGA Professional Golfer's Tournament up close and personal. It is being broadcasted on the Golf Channel in the evenings finishing Wednesday. I do recognize the faces of some of them and also some of the names from the caddy's shirts as they played through were I was watching.

One thing that happened last night: it was the second time I went out that day to watch on the 7th hole putting green: After the first shot that lands about half way up the area between the Tee and the Hole, they have their second shot. When they drive, there is a tree I hide behind as a just-in-case the ball does not go straight; most did but not all. When the third to the last group of the day came by and when the last guy drove from halfway up the fairway, as usual, I hid behind the tree. As usual I heard a soft thud which the ball makes when it lands but this time there was a second thud as the ball hit the tree I was behind at just about my height. The course guy who was in his cart came over and we found the ball just a few feet on the golfers side of the tree in tall grass. The golfer wasn't happy but I an still not sure if it was what and where he landed or that he missed hitting me. The course official and I both got a chuckle out of it anyway.

There was another drive during practice that went so far off-course that I told the official that the golfer needed a visa to get back on the course. I'm not sure they even found the ball.

There was also the problem of deer on the course. I saw one doe on the course yesterday and I was told there had been another doe earlier in the day both were grazing on the long grass areas. There was a buck, with its horns still velvet covered, on the course also. Something that some of the golfers, from all over the country don't normally see when whacking at the balls

They are golfing on two of the courses but only one is covered by TV.

The end of my coverage of the tournament.
falcor

Post by falcor »

The shortcut area between the tee and the green is called the fairway. The slightly taller grass to the sides of the fairway is the rough.
(was dragged around golf courses as a kid by dad, never really got the itch to play much myself tho)
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Thanks for the terms "Fairway" and "Rough" falcor. I was aware of the terms at the writing but I was just so tired from the pretty much 8 hour straight through drive (gas and sustenance stops) and going through the stop and go Seattle rush-hour traffic-jam (and old age memory retrieval problems) that I was so tired I couldn't recall them.

My wife, as I said, put on golf tournaments every year for many years and is a big golf fan even though we don't play golf.

I did play golf twice, back in the late 60's with my ex-father-in-law; it was fun but I could see it could be quite irritating too. Just another form of "Man against In-animate Objects" like most everything else in the world. I was working 6 days a week for years in a row (so I had not time for golf), got laid off during a slack period of time then back to the long work week ( 4 10's + one 8 hour day usually Saturdays) again when I got hired back... the ~7-year business cycle in action.

Lee
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

I had more fun looking for lost golf balls and looking for turtles and fish in the water hazards

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

So ive been job searching for the past few weeks had an interview yesterday for a Toyota shop that does some tubular uca and some fab work. Got an offer of 14hr for 60 days then reevaluate me to see if my welding is more consistent.

Problem is its about a 20 minute drive through some of the worst traffic zones in sd if I left earlier it would take nearly 2 hours to get home. Luckly they have the hours set from 930 to 630 but that means I have to work those weird hours. So I'm not sure if I'm gonna take it or not.

on top of that i just put in an application at more of a construction place as either a handrail welder or a shop hand. that place is closer, has better hours, and i used to go camping with the owner. Idk what pay would be like there but im assuming not to bad and id rather work there but i dont have a job offer there as of now.

this stuff is hard.

ended up turning down the offer due to lack of advancement opportunity on top of the long drive and other things. all together i just wouldnt have been happy i didnt want to just work there for a few weeks
Last edited by bikesndbugs on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

bajaherbie wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:29 am I had more fun looking for lost golf balls and looking for turtles and fish in the water hazards

Where we Snowbird there is an 18 hole golf course (this was our last year Snowbirding... we think. Depends on if the coach sells or not). One of our friends, who now lives on the course by the stream that runs through the course, makes a pretty good living by going out in the water each evening, finding golf balls then selling them to the golfers.

Since the ones in the tournament that I was watching were golf pros, the golf course pros that taught golf, most of the balls landed in the fairway or green with a soft "plop, minus the last "P". There were some strays: one of which went so far out of bounds that I told a couple of the course officials that I thought the golfer might need his passport to get back on the fairway. :roll: :lol: One really liked the line so I told him he could have it.

Watching the tournament in person, especially over the practice sessions and through the first day of competition, it it is a lot different than you see on TV. They have several guys/groups that they follow so keeping things interesting move along usually fairly smoothly but in real life it is not that way. 12 minutes between the origional Tee-offs can end up at 15 minutes, and usually more, between groups hitting the putting greens. It isn't unusual to see a group halfway down the fairway waiting for the putters to finish at the hole then as they drive up to the hole the next group is already gathering at the Tee.

Each player has a certain amount of time to play each end of the hole then add to that the "search and rescue" periods off course. I was told that some players might tee off a couple of balls if one doesn't look to fall within the time constraints. Never knew that before.

It is really interesting to see the actions of each player (and their caddies) on each putt. On almost every group I watched it was dead quiet on the green; all you heard was the wind through the trees, the birds tweeting and the pock of the putter and the sound of the ball dropping into the cup or
from the next tee, the sharp sound of the driver smacking into the ball. The driving off the next tee was usually before most of the serious putting got started. The sound of a ball landing in the sand box was almost unheard.

The group's followers are also fun to watch as the hijinks on the green was going on. Some were non-movable or slight, unknown body language was made, or signs of Aw $...! was barely visible... but there.

At one time, early in the day, there were several of us alternating sitting on a bench watching the golfers' Tee offs. As the last of the golfers hit the top of the rise you had to stop talking even if you were talking quietly. One of the guys was quietly finishing a sentence when half the combatants' turned around to give him a dirty look.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

bikesndbugs wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:54 am So ive been job searching for the past few weeks had an interview yesterday for a Toyota shop that does some tubular uca and some fab work. Got an offer of 14hr for 60 days then reevaluate me to see if my welding is more consistent.

Problem is its about a 20 minute drive through some of the worst traffic zones in sd if I left earlier it would take nearly 2 hours to get home. Luckly they have the hours set from 930 to 630 but that means I have to work those weird hours. So I'm not sure if I'm gonna take it or not.

on top of that i just put in an application at more of a construction place as either a handrail welder or a shop hand. that place is closer, has better hours, and i used to go camping with the owner. Idk what pay would be like there but im assuming not to bad and id rather work there but i dont have a job offer there as of now.

this stuff is hard.

ended up turning down the offer due to lack of advancement opportunity on top of the long drive and other things. all together i just wouldnt have been happy i didnt want to just work there for a few weeks
Travis, this is more or less what I told you to expect. Most customers look for beauty in a weld then consider it a good but the perfect stack of nickels being the sign of a good weld is not always true because that is what is being taken as by customers and businesses know it.

If you had taken the job and did your best; it would have looked good on your resume as a blank paper doesn't tell a perspective employer much. Keep at it as it isn't an overnight gimme that you are trying to do.

I have also seen a baseball stitch seam done which is spectacular but I don't know just how it was done. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ti ... ORM=IQFRML
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

If you mean baseball stitch sort of like fish scales.
Commonly known as a weave. Its done by rather than going in a straight line you tilt back and forth adding filler on each peak creating a wider weld that overlaps alot. Used for more filler in a single pass or just for looks. Also look up walking the cup
My welds often don't look the prettiest due to how I add the filler I add it very fast creating a very even weld but not those "fat dimes/ big round beads" everyone is looking for it creates a better weld as the weld doesn't dip between puddles and that dip creates a weak spot where a crack could form.

I'm hoping to get a job in a fab shop as shop help but actually be working on race Chasiss or at more of a construction company. These would both allow for more advancement.
I applied at Alumicraft (buggys google them if unsure) and jimco that is across the street and also a major offroad truck builder. Gonna start going shop to shop trying to get one.

Travis