70 Baja Bug Build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
BajaBug222

Re: 70 Baja Bug Build

Post by BajaBug222 »

Making some power plant changes. the 1641 just wasn't cutting it.
IMG_6165.JPG
IMG_6164.JPG
IMG_6097.JPG
IMG_6094.JPG
IMG_6093.JPG
Finishing up.
IMG_6199.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Interesting location; I'm assuming you leaving the window out? If not look to see if you have enough room for air flow/movement towards the rear as you might be pretty close to the rear firewall for either pull through or push through.
BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

The only glass that will be in the car is the windshield. there is about 6in between the radiator and whats left of the rear firewall. most of it has been cut out. I have a large pusher fan on the front. in the last picture above the motor you can see the bottom of the radiator where the firewall was. I wanted the radiator to be tucked into the car with no chances of catching brush or tree limbs.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Just trying to keep you honest :wink:

Glad you clarified. Lee
BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

somebody has to keep me honest. thanks. I would also like to find some scoops for the rear side windows. I still need to find a good location for the oil cooler.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Back in the 70s and early 80s, there were some dark smoke tint plexiglass rear 1/4 windows for bugs that were scoops. They might be found at VW swap meets. It wouldn't be all THAT hard to fab some yourself.

BLM and Forest Service require the exhaust to have a spark arrestor (and where are you gonna take it that's not on land controlled by one or the other?). So you will probably need a Super Trapp on the outlet of the exhaust after that glasspack. Note that BLM is chock full of rangers who are full of anti-offroader "greenie" people who are scared to death we're gonna burn the desert down anyway.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

Howdy,
thanks. I know Mckenzies has some fiberglass ones. Maybe once I get closer to painting the car I will order them if I don't find a good deal on a set before that.

ya forest and blm are no joke. I have a super trap on order. it is a few days out still. I still need to extend the exhaust about 8 inches but waiting till I get the super trap. the car is getting close to a test run again. I still need to make some changes to the front end of the car but that is minor.
I pick up all the aluminum so I can get the front and rear skid plates complete and still need to build a fire wall between the seats and fuel cell.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

I've watched a BLM Ranger spend his whole day sitting in his UTV right next to Start/Finish at a race at Barstow, pulling offroaders over right there and most of them he went straight to the exhaust with a piece of stiff wire. The same jerk went around the night before writing people tickets for having camp fires. I really don't know what he thought was going to burn out in the desert. Motorhomes? Toy Box trailers? Buggies? You could drop napalm out there and not burn anything but the napalm itself. But the ticket is expensive if you get one.
Richard
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Yeah. I have seen similar things from the greenies and the BLM greenies. I still haven't figured out how the greenies got the right to write tickets.
BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

Getting closer with each day. Got the Super trap installed. got motor mounts done, got the coolant line braced. made a frame for the GPS, got
IMG_6255.JPG
IMG_6256.JPG
IMG_6257.JPG
IMG_6258.JPG
IMG_6285.JPG
IMG_6284.JPG
IMG_6283.JPG
the brain for the radio mounted, and got the rear skid plate on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Nice progress man. Cooking right along with this swap
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

Thanks. I'm looking forward to some shock tuning. I need to find a local group to go cruising with.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

For a local group to offroad with, check on AZ Bajas forum. I think there is/are some others in Sahuarita.
Richard
Retired Fabricator
BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

Haven't done much with the car lately. been busy getting ready for the move. Down to a handful of items on the wish list.
Oil pan options. I would like to find a custom oil pan for the car. I need to gain more clearance between the skid plate and don't want to completely redo the lower cage. I remember seeing something on here about a thinner oil pan just don't remember seeing who had them.

I know you also lose the thermostat on these conversions. What does everyone do to slow the water down?
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

BajaBug222 wrote:I would also like to find some scoops for the rear side windows. I still need to find a good location for the oil cooler.
This is what I used: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Oil-Coole ... 36007.html