70 Baja Bug Build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
bajaherbie

Re: 70 Baja Bug Build

Post by bajaherbie »

it's almost race ready!
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

Toss some numbers on it and it's race time.
BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

My daughter is ready for her first ride in the Baja
j2.JPG
b2.JPG
b1.JPG
12 miles in she didn't want to head home
julie.JPG
We logged 23 miles. Shocks still need some tuning but the car ran good and made it back home in one piece and still running. I need to pull the motor. Not sure if the rear main is leaking or it is the case needs resealed.

I also got the new project home and unloaded.
case.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

We have got to see this in person.. Congrats on the ride, good to hear your daughter is getting into it with a smile.
BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

I'd like to get out and do some trail runs. I need to get this thing dialed in and I would really like to get a new motor in it before much longer. this 1641 just doesn't have enough to push this car. I hadn't paid much attention to length on the car I knew I was under 105 but wasn't sure by how much. Just measured it and I'm right at 101. Nice to know I can still run longer arms and still be under 105.The car is sitting right where I want it to be.
BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

Logged another hard 37.3 miles on the baja tonight with some good jumping on the powerline roads. Did some shock tuning as well. I think I'm going to pull the front coils and get them re valved they are very soft. found a comfort zone in it tonight it felt really good.
BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

Well over 150 hard miles now. Running good. Shocks are starting to feel pretty good. I think they are right about where they need to be. I need to weld my pivot bolt tabs in. Did a once over on the car when I got home from my night run and they were very loose. Good I got home when I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

BajaBug222 wrote:Well over 150 hard miles now. Running good. Shocks are starting to feel pretty good. I think they are right about where they need to be. I need to weld my pivot bolt tabs in. Did a once over on the car when I got home from my night run and they were very loose. Good I got home when I did.

Good idea putting the Keeper in on the Pivot bolts. It sucks trying to get them in on the trail. How about some pics of how you did it?
BajaBug222

70 Baja Bug Build

Post by BajaBug222 »

fix.JPG
I got these little guys to install. So far all I have down is tighten the bolt down. I need to get out in the shop and finish it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BajaBug222 on Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

Ok fixed that problem. Just waiting for things to dry up a bit. It has been raining for three days on and off.
fixed.JPG
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

I need to make me a set of those.
I had to keep tightening up the left side pivot bolt on the GCA trip.
I'm going to make some for the outer pivot bolts on me SP eliminators too, the right one kept loosening up as well.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

Howdy Everyone,
It's been a while. Happy Holidays. Haven't done much on the Baja lately. It has been running good. finally got the front skid plate done. Ended up selling my other body. Going a different route with that build. I'm buying a class 5 chassis. Hoping to pick it up some time late this month or early Feb. Here are a few pictures from the last run I made. I still need to pull the door glass and get some window nets. need to build a front and rear firewall.
IMG_5280.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_5284.JPG
TexasBaja

Post by TexasBaja »

BajaBug222 wrote:Howdy Everyone,
It's been a while. Happy Holidays. Haven't done much on the Baja lately. It has been running good. finally got the front skid plate done. Ended up selling my other body. Going a different route with that build. I'm buying a class 5 chassis. Hoping to pick it up some time late this month or early Feb.

So are you going to let the cat out of the bag on the Chassis you bought or do you want me to?????? :P
Coming soon to a Dezert near you
TexasBaja 2.0
BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

TexasBaja wrote:
BajaBug222 wrote:Howdy Everyone,
It's been a while. Happy Holidays. Haven't done much on the Baja lately. It has been running good. finally got the front skid plate done. Ended up selling my other body. Going a different route with that build. I'm buying a class 5 chassis. Hoping to pick it up some time late this month or early Feb.

So are you going to let the cat out of the bag on the Chassis you bought or do you want me to?????? :P
Sorry just now saw that you posted. Wow word travels fast. I bought Scott Moldenhauers old chassis. It's official the chassis is sitting in my shop. I picked it up Jan 17th. Going to start assembly soon. Hoping to start testing late 2017 and Hoping a race or two in 2018 ImageImageImage

Took the Baja for a cruise Sunday after getting home from Parker and spent two hours upside down through the back window. The lower set screw came out on the shift linkage. Needless to say it is fixed and that won't happen again. I have my wife to thank for the picture. Image
Last edited by BajaBug222 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BajaBug222

Post by BajaBug222 »

Oh and I also put a set of Walker Evans with some BFG All Terrains on the rear. The new tires made a big difference.
ImageImage