Getrdone's GETR181

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Iguana

Re: Getrdone's GETR181

Post by Iguana »

Leatherneck wrote:Sure would of liked to see more video of that adventure

Its funny that you say that .... I have 11 Go Pro's and would you believe that I could not find a single 1, nudda, nothing man I suck.

I think they are heading out again on New years so I will try my best to find one by then.
Buy a Kit, Build a Dream
thingow181

Post by thingow181 »

Getrdone wrote:If your still interested after the nite run I can give you a idea. It will also give me a chance to call them "Trail rated". I am running but I am remembering things like, oh my, I don't have a skid plate!
It's only been a year and a half since I thought about this, PM inbound.
Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

Well, during the hiatus I've taken the spindles off and I am converting to King Kong. The combos didn't fail, but the backing plate was bent. Baja5's started to tear the backing plate.
So, old backing plate was mystery 5/16" material and the new is 3/8" 4140. The spuds have a full 3/8" shoulder and I made the spud a tight fit to the backing plate. Welding 4 spuds with pre-heat and post heat cool down took several hours. I use a hot plate to bring them up to temp, weld on a turn table and back to the plate for gradual cool down in 100 degree or so increments. I also take some precaution to prevent any cool breezes. I repeat this again when welding the backing plate to the spindle. For those considering the use of "thickish" 4140 pre and post heat is very important. I also use ER80-SD2 rod. 2.0's were considered, but the front brake hubs were identical pieces other than the bearing bore diameter. So, my machinist buddy opened them up for me on the mill.
I wrote this awhile ago, since done and both cars are up and running again.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Well thanks for the update, bout time to park them for the season?
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
jt1967

Post by jt1967 »

CentralWAbaja wrote:Well thanks for the update, bout time to park them for the season?
No parking for the season its still play time! Mojave trail memorial day weekend, with any luck Jason's Border Run a trip or so to Big Bear Night runs so I guess im saying is offroad season is year round :)-
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Glamis has a "Season". Plaster City and Ocotillo Wells share that season. For the rest of the off-road world, our season is 366 days per year.

8)
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

Tap talk test. TransImage is out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

Wow, that's easy and cool. Used medium pic. Too big?

Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

May as well say why!Image

Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

That's small pic. Of what is thought to be some spider gear

CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

I like the medium pic. And those are some shiny pieces. Not in a good way either.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Medium pic, I'm on the PC and can see it. Others with Tapatalk can't see on PC. WHY WHY WHY. Anyway what made you pull the tranny, did you hear the shiney parts calling you?
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

Leatherneck wrote:Medium pic, I'm on the PC and can see it. Others with Tapatalk can't see on PC. WHY WHY WHY. Anyway what made you pull the tranny, did you hear the shiney parts calling you?
doc had it working for a while on the old red format, but tapatalk doesn't work with the new board for some reason...

sorry about the gears.
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

Yeah, was making noise on turns. Sounded like CV's. Just got done cleaning them and they look like new. No visible wear. Axles are perfect too. First time ever I didn't have to clean the ends with a file to get them off.
Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

Hoping for a spider gear replacement only. Crossing my fingers