Motorbreath's Chenowth 2 Seat Play Car

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Getrdone

Re: Motorbreath's Chenowth 2 Seat Play Car

Post by Getrdone »

My boy has one of those Bluetooth sausage looking things. Direct to phone. Kicks butt!
motorbreath53

Post by motorbreath53 »

The problem with the simple plug in speaker is that its a pain in the ass to plug the radio harness back in when its time to ride again.
The radio sits to the left of the drivers seat, and there isn't much room for a reach around... (what?... whats so funny?)

I need ("need" :roll: ) to be able to simply switch between headsets and the external speaker. (i've already done a similar setup for the tunes from the ipad.)

...and i've already scored a nice external speaker like this one:

The delima is in the wiring... i'm thinking of adding MORE RELAYS! to the car. It'd be cool have a switch for audio. Driving_Parked/beer break

Driving would put the race radio and the tunes to the intercom, where parked would power the amp, and switch the sound from both the Ipad, and the Kenwood to the external speakers...

I just need to research how to do so without creating "noise"...
Baja5 was right...
motorbreath53

Post by motorbreath53 »

...it would have a mounted/replumbed radiator tonight... but I got tricked into stopping for fro-yo on the way to Competitive Metals... and guess who was closed at 5:05..... F*@#%....
Baja5 was right...
jt1967

Post by jt1967 »

Updates whats going on?
I'll be by this weekend to bend some radiator tubing you off work?
motorbreath53

Post by motorbreath53 »

Off Sunday...
Baja5 was right...
motorbreath53

Post by motorbreath53 »

Well... I aint getting to the radio speaker before the night run... no new sheet metal like I was hoping either.

I did however, get the radiator moved. The ecotec cooling passages sat lower, allowing the radiator to sit lower. Once the Honda was swapped in I was having trouble bleeding the air out... Plus, the radiator was a pain in the tukus to fill all laid down...

so I stood it up, and built some new mounts and coolant lines. The lines are certainly more sanitary this time around... but the whole setup has me dreaming of uses for CWA's badass'n bead roller... I could spend DAYS tinkering with aluminum panels... but i'm trying to focus elsewhere...

Just got these little trinkets in the mail as well.. I chose the round rocker switches for the side panels as they matched the "factory" ones that came with the seat heaters. They proved to be less than durable in the sand. I found an ebay deal for a truckload of these clear soft plastic boots for $1.50 shipped from China... Hopefully they at least buy me a season of use before the switches are full of sand ceasing to function...

Next up is a more appropriate fix for the fuel cell vent line, and some fresh axle parts to kick off the season and we're up and running...

#@$#!.... aside from the spare tire mount I need to build. Neighbor Joe promises we'll be in the dirt with my baja bug this season, and I have no means of mounting a spare tire, or jack on my car...

After that, fluid and filters only for the rest of the season... unless.... well... no... nevermind... I won't say it....
Baja5 was right...
GK Electric

Post by GK Electric »

motorbreath53 wrote: .... aside from the spare tire mount I need to build.
No need for a spare tire mount, you got a Slime Spair in a bottle....
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Isn't it surprising how small a toy gets when you start fitting in the "necessities". What you have done so far really looks nice and the positioning of things looks to be well thought out. I do like the switch box and soft covers for the switches.

Based on the new radiator placement I think you are going to be much happier and it should work better than the flat mount. Be advised to check for "Dead Air" areas around it. Quite a few car companies have had to fight this problem over the years; e.g., GM's Fiero, Fiat X-19, Honda FL350 to name a couple. The guy on Spike's Extreme 4X4 had the same problem on the "Truggy" he built because of mounting it too close to the cab; it took a very slight movement to the rear to solve the problem.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Comb ... ine/T21320

Something else to lust after, I know I sure am. I'm cleaning up my garage right now trying to make/get room for two more tools, this being one of them.

Lee
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

I like the "switch condoms" MB. Safety first. :wink:
Devastator's Build Thread

Sandrail

2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec

"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
tikotiko

Post by tikotiko »

[quote="motorbreath53"

After that, fluid and filters only for the rest of the season... unless.... well... no... nevermind... I won't say it....[/quote]

Shes pregnant. .... congratulations bro
I just wanna drive it that's it.
motorbreath53

Post by motorbreath53 »

No babies yet Tiko... but the missus' has acquired her "foot in the door" job. So our plan to get her working for long enough to remind her that she likes extra money is in action. That way, she's more likely to return to work after our critter shows up. (...its a fine theory isn't it?)
Baja5 was right...
TimS

Post by TimS »

Rationality does not work in the world of women. It'd be nice, though.

Very clean build! I like the attention to detail.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
tikotiko

Post by tikotiko »

Ya dont let her stop working they totally wig out trust me. Really really trust me. Staying home is harder than working to thier kind. At least with 3 kids during summer break holy chet
I just wanna drive it that's it.
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

We have guys at work, who have to work lots of OT to pay off their wife's students loans.....because they are stay at home mom's now!

....just have the baby already!! hahahaha
motorbreath53

Post by motorbreath53 »

cwrisley wrote:We have guys at work, who have to work lots of OT to pay off their wife's students loans.....because they are stay at home mom's now!

....just have the baby already!! hahahaha
What kind of sick bastard would say something like that. She'd NEVER do that to me... she PROMISED..... :shock: :shock: :shock: she HAS to keep a promise right?

Thought i'd share where I ended up on the first go at a reasonable looking, fast filling, safe fuel cell vent. I think i've got close... multiple compound bends later... :roll:

Reasonable looking- At least its hidden behind the seats, and made from a solid stick of aluminum tube... thats kinda cool...
Fast Fill- Stupid really, as I normally use dump cans...(soon to be transfer tank under the trailer) but I don't want to get too far away from the option...
Safe- I "think" i'm in the right direction...? I've got some room for "splash" containment... there is a roll over check valve, and any fuel that makes it out of the tank exits outside of the passenger space, and is not near anything that should be at ignition temp... Still, open to thoughts, ideas, complaints and ridicule on this...

I'll put a outerwear prefilter on the UNI Filter as well... hopefully before Clint does donuts around me at the night run in the THAT THING.
Baja5 was right...