Shortie's New Baja Project

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
motorbreath53

Re: Shortie's New Baja Project

Post by motorbreath53 »

What a cool car.
Baja5 was right...
TexasBaja

Post by TexasBaja »

Did you guys find this in Utah or was it out of state?
Race Car or Pre Runner???
2.5 Subi would look mighty nice in the back of that.
Coming soon to a Dezert near you
TexasBaja 2.0
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

Cool car guys! Nice find. Obviously pro built.
I would post on RDC and see if some one can ID the chassis.
I'm thinking sway bar, not remote torsion.
Qurtys Lyn

Post by Qurtys Lyn »

TexasBaja wrote:Did you guys find this in Utah or was it out of state?
Race Car or Pre Runner???
2.5 Subi would look mighty nice in the back of that.
In Utah. Prerunner, maybe sometimes Sportsman. And I'm trying to talk him into putting a TDI in the back.
Fusername's evil twin

'72 Std Beetle - 1641 CC
BRAT Motorsports #936
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

JUSSUMGUY wrote:Cool car guys! Nice find. Obviously pro built.
It is set up for remote torsion, the center mount for the adjusters is the next to last pic, just don't have the fingers. But we were thinking of turning it into a sway bar mount.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
TexasBaja

Post by TexasBaja »

BAJA-IT wrote:
JUSSUMGUY wrote:Cool car guys! Nice find. Obviously pro built.
It is set up for remote torsion, the center mount for the adjusters is the next to last pic, just don't have the fingers. But we were thinking of turning it into a sway bar mount.

Our Raceco Class 12 had a sway bar setup like that until we converted it to Coil overs with Bypasses. It was really more of a bump stop.
My opinion is if you go with a Coil Over with Bypass and they are set up right you will not need a sway bar but if the Bypass is out of you budget I would use.

Great find. Cant wait to see the progress on this car.I would invest in a sandblaster though. :)
Coming soon to a Dezert near you
TexasBaja 2.0
1966bajabug

Post by 1966bajabug »

I'll probably set it up as class 5U legal and race it as sportsman when the funds are there. The car originaly came from So-cal but has sat since it was brought up here.

Probably wont have funds for bypasses yet but were gonna set the car up for them anyway. Should be able to get the car sandblasted after this next paycheck then I Have to get it to the fab shop to get the front end pushed foward to 105" Wheel base. As the car sits its only at 100".

Then I Have to decide on engine trans combo and if I want to try and keep it an automactic or figure out a way to put a manual in it with the offset tunnel in the fuel cell. Oh well I'll have lot of time to think about it while I gather funds and you guys spend it all for me. :lol:
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Flip the cell around and use a late side shift trans...or an HV-1 :D

Just a thought
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
1966bajabug

Post by 1966bajabug »

CentralWAbaja wrote:Flip the cell around and use a late side shift trans...or an HV-1 :D

Just a thought
We we're thinking about doing that on the ride home, just gotta go see it its the same if we turn it around.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Automatic, and a TDI engine! Go for it.
mikeadams

Post by mikeadams »

Wow. Is that really a race-co built chassis? You ought to PM Jamie Campell on RDC- he'd be able to tell you.

A badass car that has never been put together?

Is the wheel base 105"?
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Cool car!

I expect the fuel cell bladder and maybe foam to have died of old age without ever getting used. Shame! That may render the trans/fuel cell flop discussion moot.

The seats may need re-upholstery too.

The pinch style beam adjusters are Wright Place stuff. In that era, the arms were probably stock and thus the short wheelbase form the 4" arms. Shock mounts front and rear may well be more modern than the basic chassis. The rear arms are pretty wild looking. The modified stock torsion housing also suggests early 80s vintage original fabrication.

The bug-eye 1-piece front end is not often seen anymore.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
1966bajabug

Post by 1966bajabug »

Well over on Race-dezert Ed Frisk has claimed the chassis to be one built by him in 1986. The frame is full 4130 and the shock mounts have been modified since it was built. I believe Class 5U could only have 100" wheelbase when this car was built but I'm not sure and will have to do some research and find out. Tomorrow I will call the fab shop run by one of the class 1 racers we race with and find out the cost to push the front end out and do shock mounts for me seeing as I don't have shocks yet, and they have plenty to play with. I also hope to have it ready to be sand blasted by next weekend, seeing as ill get paid by then.
1966bajabug

Post by 1966bajabug »

From what we can tell so far the Fuel cell bladder is fine and has been happy with where it lived, just need to find out about the foam inside. I don't really want to dish out 2 grand for a new one.
1966bajabug

Post by 1966bajabug »

Also looking for new A-pillars if anyone is cutting up a beetle with good ones or knows where I can acquire some.