City Baja Build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Volksmeister

City Baja Build

Post by Volksmeister »

Hi all,

My name is Levi, I live in Seattle Washington. I am in the position now to start spending some $ (not much though..) on my baja! My motorcycle project is almost finished, and so I can turn my attention to the bug. Although this will probably be a slow build...

I have had VWs since I was 13, and this is my second baja. I have had this car for about 6 years, and for having it that long it should be further a long, oh well... When I bought the thing I was 19 and was a bit blind and probably should have kept looking for a better car. I have spent a lot of time sorting out the previous owners shady work but the car is still ugly and still suffers from some issues.

Some of the more note worthy stuff I have done to the thing is: install a 1800 T4 and 5 rib 002 (both with unknown mileage) along with T2 CVs, front beam adjusters, weld the seams, new BJs, quality headlights,and start painting the car Krylon 'smoke grey'.

A few weeks ago I drove the car to Idaho then on the way back I hit the Moses Lake sand dunes. What a blast! Consequently it left me with a desire to go faster and smoother. I hope to upgrade the car without tearing it completely apart and ending up with a pile of parts in the garage that takes years to assembly and use. I would like to keep it operational as much as possible.

Plans include:
-better front seats
-T3 rear brakes/switch brake bias
-Roll cage/bumpers (this winter?)
-box rear arms+good rear shocks
-Bilstein front shocks (in the mail now!)
-Continue to paint the car...
-engine overhaul when required!

I would like to set it up so that in the future I can go to 3X3s and a link pin beam with out too much reworking!

Thanks for looking
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not who I am!
Steve Arndt

Re: City Baja Build

Post by Steve Arndt »

Very cool. Keep us updated on your progress.

Check out my build thread. Our cars have quite a bit in common.

s

Post by 560 »

Looks like you were having a whole bunch of fun. 8)
Keep us posted on progress.

Mike
Jackpot motorsports
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

It does look like you have a good start. There are several of us in the area so you aren't alone.

Lee
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

Not what I expected to see given the title of the build thread. Looks awesome and used everywhere BUT the city. :D

Post by 560 »

kyle_pc_75 wrote:Not what I expected to see given the title of the build thread. Looks awesome and used everywhere BUT the city. :D
Yep, I would agree.

Mike
Jackpot motorsports
Volksmeister

Post by Volksmeister »

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Steve Arndt: You are right, our cars our similar only, yours is much nicer and has an interior...

I guess the build title is because I live in the city, so I always feel confined and out of place. It is used in the city often. I used to drive it to work everyday for a few years. The car does not fit in with the Seattle scene and that is what I LOVE about it! Loud, ugly, quick, dirty and sets off car alarms! It gets a lot of attention. It is however frustrating to find a place to go drive in the dirt, gotta make plans and make a day of it...
I'm not who I am!

Post by 560 »

You probably have a place were you like to buy parts there, if not try www.averysaircooled.com

Keep us posted on progress. 8)

Mike
Jackpot motorsports
Volksmeister

Post by Volksmeister »

Mike: I have heard about Avery's and always wanted to go there, but never checked out their site. Thanks for the source. Have you dealt with them before?
I'm not who I am!

Post by 560 »

I do most all of my shopping there :lol: .
Toby runs the front, VERY knowledgeable about VW parts and not much into chit chat, phone ringing all the time. Michael is the parts puller, web, phone, package stuffer guy.
Fun place to walk thru and see all the stuff.

Mike
Jackpot motorsports
turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

Levi I would have never picked you as a city boy, did you grow up country and move to the city or wtf? :P

I'm diggin' the T4 power :twisted:
Karl

DON'T QUIT
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

great pictures......
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
Volksmeister

Post by Volksmeister »

Thanks!

Karl: I grew up in Bainbridge Island (not very 'city') I moved to seattle when I was 20 to try and be successful with the band I was playing with. That fizzled out so, this is where I am for now... I don't really like the city. Not enough space/privacy. Oh yeah, the T4 rocks!

Check out what came in the mail today! This is prep for the little baja trip with Turbobaja and CentralWAbaja...

Out with the old and in with the new!

The ride is much Much MUCH better. I bit stiff on the road, but it takes bumps a whole helluva lot better! I think I can back off on the front pre load a bit... Pay not attention to the bald front tires.

Speaking of tires, any body know what is the optimum wheel rim width is for 7.00X15 tires? My front wheels are 6" wide (If I remember correctly). Would these work?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not who I am!
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

I have 5" wheels and 700 15 front tires. For off road, narrower is better to protect the rim. Most racers use 3.5" wide. For the street 5 inch is a decent compromise.