City Baja Build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
JUSSUMGUY

Re: City Baja Build

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

Your build is looking great! You're going to have a very off road capable baja when done. On your steering I would get a new stock, not urethane, rag joint(coupling) and stick it in there. just to be on the safe side.
Volksmeister

Post by Volksmeister »

Just curious, how would that make it safer? I agree that it serves a purpose being there but, why...

Moderators or anyone that knows: About the pics on my previous post - did they not download because of the larger than previous file sizes?
I'm not who I am!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Volksmeister wrote:Just curious, how would that make it safer? I agree that it serves a purpose being there but, why...

Moderators or anyone that knows: About the pics on my previous post - did they not download because of the larger than previous file sizes?
I have had that happen to me before and yes it was because they are to large. Try sticking with a 640 X 480 it is large enough to see and uses a little less server space.

The urethane steering joints have been known to crack and break. The stock one is better, last longer I don't know I am still using the same one when I switched over from the urethane.
TimS

Post by TimS »

delete.jpg
While normally excellent advice, I think what Jussumguy and Leatherneck are missing is that you bolted the two parts of the joint together, instead of the usual way of bolting each side to the urethane. Your way seems stronger than stock, and way less flexible. I wonder how it will work/feel or if it will bind or wear things out. At the very least you should use lock nuts on those.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

I have no engineering reason why to not do it that way. The factory put it there for a reason and I would be so inclined to keep it. It's not an expensive part and if my old one were bad I would of replaced it. I'm just a bit an*l when it comes to steering. Keep up the good work!
Big Dave

Post by Big Dave »

The rag joint serves many purposes, just like a lot of parts on a bug do more than one thing (crafty Germans).
People usually see it as a vibration dampener, which it is, but it also serves a bit like a U joint. Very rarely will the steering column be perfectly in line with the steering box, and therefore should takes some stress off the steering box bearings.

It is also a safety device. In a front end collision, the rag joint can flex and fail, letting the beam be pushed back without sending the steering column into the driver's chest.
I don't always show my signature. But when I do, it's in this area.
Volksmeister

Post by Volksmeister »

All valid points. Thank you. Lock nuts/washers are on the list... for everything.

I think I will run it how it is just to see. As far as aligning the column with the steering box shaft, if the steering box clamp bolts are tightened down 'unevenly' they can be used to aligned everything just right. The column is also somewhat free to move around. Currently there is no binding!

Leatherneck: I will try to keep the pic sized down. Thanks!
I'm not who I am!
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

Since we are going to be sort of close to your neighborhood on the Idaho/Oregon trip you should plan on attending.
Volksmeister

Post by Volksmeister »

You know, I do! and probably will! It kinda depends on if I can get time off because that is a busy time of year at work. It sounds like uh60ce has a handle on all the places to ride, i love nothing more that adventures and I really like that area of the country... Not gonna say 'yeah' right away.
I'm not who I am!
Volksmeister

Post by Volksmeister »

Ok, some progress updates:

Last weekend a really nice guy with the handle CentralWAbaja was kind enough to loan me his tubing bender for a few weeks (thanks Daron)! I have it bolted down and have twisted up some door bars and the tubes from the a-pillar to the top of the beam. Nothing has been fit and installed yet so no good pics yet... I am having a tough time positioning and holding everything in place to get it all fit correctly. kinda frustrating. I need to get those top tubes fit and tacked so I can bend up the front bumper.

After lots of head scratching I think I am getting the hang of it!

Also, I made it up to Everett Steel and trucked home 100' of 1.50X.095 and 20' of 1.00X.095..... my calculations show me using it all:shock:
.095 was probably too thick for the 1" stuff but .065 seemed to thin. Oh well.

What wall thickness do you guys use for the 1" stuff?

-Levi
I'm not who I am!
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

ts39136 wrote:
delete.jpg
While normally excellent advice, I think what Jussumguy and Leatherneck are missing is that you bolted the two parts of the joint together, instead of the usual way of bolting each side to the urethane. Your way seems stronger than stock, and way less flexible. I wonder how it will work/feel or if it will bind or wear things out. At the very least you should use lock nuts on those.

By making the steering connection this way you eliminate the connections ability to allow for any flexing of things which is one of the reasons of why the "Rag Joint" is there in the first place. On a rail or tube framed toy it might be OK but on a stock pan buggy or Baja I would think twice about it as something has to absorb movement and it most likely would be the steering shaft.

Just a thought.

Lee
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

Not to beat a red horse, but here's an extreme example of why you want the coupler:
DSC04150 (Medium).jpg
It resolves any alignment issue and absorbs some shock in the shaft. The bearings in the stock steering box are made with plastic. I don't think they will live long with any kind of binding in the shaft.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Good to hear you are getting going on it.

You might get your hands on some 3/4" x 3/4" angle iron or something else cheap maybe even rebar. If you look at early pics of me doing my cage I have that stuff tacked all over the place to hold tubes in place until I could cut and fit others in there. 1x2 wood and c-clamps are your friend also.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

These can also come in handy...when they fit.:
http://www.mscdirect.com/product/71022578
Devastator's Build Thread

Sandrail

2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec

"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
BAJA-IT