Report from the southern Oregon Dunes

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.

Moderators: Leatherneck, rickosuave1987

Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Report from the southern Oregon Dunes

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:41 pm

Thought you might be interested. The event here at Ocean Shores WA is called "Sand and Sawdust" We were over there again and this time I took a camera. A couple of pictures just for the heck of it.
DSCN0953 copy.jpg
One of the two sand sculptures at the show. It will be finished tomorrow as will the other one.
DSCN0957 copy.jpg
One of the chain saw sculptures I saw.
DSCN0955 copy.jpg
I have to reedit this pix as I cut part of the arm off and didn't notice it. This one was posted at $1000.
DSCN0952 copy.jpg
There was another one of this at a different site that was bigger, more animated and on sale for $400... it was not there today.
DSCN0956 copy.jpg
An eagle in process of being shaped out of a block of wood.

There are other building skills around to keep one in AWE!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:38 am

Hawaii volcano copy.jpg
This is the picture of the volcano in Hawaii I promised.

I am going to delete the wood carving pix as they are not really part of the site. This kind of wood carving is becoming very popular and very expensive too. Part of the event was an auction each day of work done that day by the carvers. On Saturday alone the auction sold over $18,000 dollars of carvings. I will delete this post too in a short time.

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dustymojave

Post by dustymojave » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:11 pm

Or move them over to the Topic Of The Day forum...
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills!, but then...So does OLD AGE!!
A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech Inspection
MDR / MORE / Glen Helen BajaCup Challenge
AKA: MojaveRacer208
'58 Baja with 815K Miles and counting

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:01 am

Heard from one of the guys in our group who was down at the dunes this last weekend. Because of the hot dry conditions you are not allowed to start a gas motor after noon. In this case the limitations are lawn mowers, blowers, chain saws, etc. and this is due to the fire danger.

I would suspect, but have not heard as much, that un-muffled or/or no spark arresters (which are already not allowed) rigs will be looked at and probably ticketed more than usual. Unlike most of the dune areas the Oregon dunes have trails through the trees and other forested areas.

I think I heard that, like the Seattle area, they are getting a lot of smoke from the Calif. fires that is being blown north. Now that the wind direction has changed and coming from the north the smoke from the forest fires in Canada are now blowing into the west of the Cascade Mountains areas (it is in the east also to be honest). I was out the other day on the road and you couldn't see either the Olympic Mountains or the Cascade Mountains when going over bridges which would normally allow this view but because of the heavy smoke haze all you saw was grey w/maybe a trace of an outline in the haze but not sure that was what I saw either. Here they are recommending that young and old plus people with allergies or problems breathing stay inside. It has become that bad here on the west coast.

Heading down this weekend so I will talk about what I see and hear. I can't ride yet due to the surgery I had and it's limitations.

Lee