Report from the southern Oregon Dunes

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Report from the southern Oregon Dunes

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

The high winds finally dropped (at least for so far today). Been cleaning up the area from mostly blown sand, dirt and leaves.

We didn't have 19 here as one left today and one who was expected yesterday was too tired to make the long drive and will come in today. Still 18 in a small area is a lot.

Rain or rain showers expected to come in today with the possibility of going through the weekend. Check the weather before you come down 'cause I am not sure how much and how hard and if.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Off and on light misty drizzle to drizzle w/periods of sun today. Even had heavy drizzle in one area and 20 feet away light drizzle then not too far away nothing. Heavy drizzle where we are right now but in town it was doing nothing. One of those days where the weather gods are having fun at our expense :roll: . The dunes are pretty quiet right now.

There is a chance of sun... or periods of drizzle w/without periods of sun and/or clouds tomorrow.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

It R raining out! The cloud/on shore flow is touching the deck (ground) but not to the point of being a fog. The heavy mist rain combined with the wind is going to get you soaked reeeeeal quick; even the satellite dish is having trouble dealing with with it. Not sure how long it will last but the moisture is needed here.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

The weather is really strange. Down pour w/seemingly no wind; e.g., a straight dump then 30 seconds later it suddenly stops the the wind speed comes up but high off the ground... maybe 30' and higher (the trees here are Spruce and range from 80 to 100-ish feet tall). Calm for a few minutes then repeat sequence. During the calm times there can be light to moderate and above showers that stop just before the short wind gusts come back off and on then the pattern reverts back to the original pattern. In other words...wet and windy weather pattern.

I forgot to mention... it is cool out!

I do hear a quad out on the dunes so there are some "crazys" out.

"Choose wisely my friends..."

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Back home now. Those sheets of misty rain ended up amounting to just over an inch of rain in the 4+ hours it fell. I don't remember seeing sheet rain like that before.

Lee
madmitch

Post by madmitch »

Wed. July 20 8pm
70 and clear in Tillamook
If you feel you are picking up speed you may be going downhill.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

8) 8)

Will be back down there next month... I think.

Hope your having a good time and leaving some sand there for someone else.

Lee
madmitch

Post by madmitch »

We're in Tillamook for a couple of days. May go down the coast and look for some beach camping for the weekend. I checked the weather and it appears to be nice and warm and sunny for a while. Nothing in the forecast for precipitation or even cloudy. I didn't bring anything to ride or drive on the sand. Maybe next time.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Did you stop at the Tillamook Dairy and get some cheese or ice cream? Pretty good stuff there.

Going down 101 has some great stops if you go by Depot Bay check to see if the coast Guard is training out in the surf. Even scary to watch. :D

Just before you get to the Coos Bay bridge if you go across the causeway then across thr RR tracks, take a right. go past the camp ground and out to the parking lot/camp ground at the end of the road then you will be at the ocean.

In North Bend there is a small cafe called Mom's that makes some good breakfast and lunch then closes. On North bound 101 there is a pretty good fish and chips place that catches their own fish. It is on a barge in the bay. Plenty of other places to chow down in both towns.

Lee

Post by 883 »

Once spent 6 weeks in Tillamook, in the '90s sometime. Had to re-furb a blimp, and there are only so many hangars around for rent that you can inflate a blimp in.

Pretty area.

But cleaning owl s**t and puke off of a 100m long blimp is a pain in the a$$. :roll:
No plan survives contact with the enemy.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

The old blimp hangers of WWII are on the way down the coast and the Spruce Goose is in one of them (McMinnville OR The Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum and Wings & Waves Waterpark are located 3.5 miles southeast of McMinnville, Oregon, on Highway 18 across from the McMinnville Municipal Airport. It is approximately one hour from Portland and 40 minutes from Salem. For some reason I can't copy their URL this morning) and can be visited.

Post by 883 »

It was at the Tillamook Air Museum.

Museum in front, blimp work in back. Their little restaurant served some pretty killer chili-dogs too.
No plan survives contact with the enemy.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

I ate a container of Tillamook yogurt today. Does that count for this discussion?
:?
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

That yogert 'll keep your motor running for a while. Now if it was that much cheese you 'et I'd worried. Dusty, you're always invited to mingle in.

I have found it interesting how much dairy products and other food items taste can change as you travel around the country. Soft drinks stay fairly consistent but they can change also.
madmitch

Post by madmitch »

We're in Tillamook for a couple of days. May go down the coast and look for some beach camping for the weekend. I checked the weather and it appears to be nice and warm and sunny for a while. Nothing in the forecast for precipitation or even cloudy. I didn't bring anything to ride or drive on the sand. Maybe next time.