Tim went racing...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
TimS

Re: Tim went racing...

Post by TimS »

Balancing power with ambient heat and humidity will be a big deal. Throw in an untrained throttle foot and the calculations get all sorts of wacky.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Car is loaded on trailer. We are going to do this.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Great! My timing is to get there around 11am Friday. I almost forgot about the hour time change for me, making a 2 hour drive a 3 hour drive some how LOL.

Ed
TimS

Post by TimS »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCuN1nFaVug

I can't believe I forgot to post this video here. This is my brother driving on a steep downhill section. It was his first time in the car and his first off road race.

He is okay. Safety equipment worked flawlessly. (Thanks for all the help on that, STF)

Anyway, damage is not overly significant, but will require a full tear down inspection, a front brake drum, a roof, antenna, steering wheel, rims x 4, plus... I think the right rear trailing arm is bent, and possible the right front lower arm.

As of right now, my plan is to salvage the good parts of this car to place on my daughter's race car. engine, trans, cvs, stubs, axles, brakes, air cleaner, fuel cell, shocks, torsion springs, straps, seat, belts, radio, steering rack, combos, front arms, etc. etc. etc. The invested of time and money to fix this car would almost amount to it's resale. I doubt anyone would buy it as a collection of parts. If I'm going to take it apart, I might as well use the parts for me.

Thanks for all the help and support getting a good run at racing. It was really a lot of fun. Hopefully sometime later in life I will be able to get back into it. Likely, I will be looking at a two seater 1600 car, or a 5/1600.

Anyway, Just wanted to update and say thanks. I've tossed this decision around for a while and it will be the best direction to go to achieve all my goals.

dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Oops!

Glad he's OK!

The pic of the car doesn't look bad.
Centerlines can be straightened like new for a fraction of the price of new. Linkpin drums are EZ, even good old German ones. Knock the lug studs out of the bent drum and press them into the new one. (Make sure whether the studs are SAW or Bugpack - different spline diameter)Seems like Scudders Offroad over in Sparks NV was advertising on TOS some front arms out of a pit box of spares a while back. Might still be available. New roof panel is EZ. Check tie rod ends, rack, link pins, stub axle, etc. So one fresh rear arm is called for...Not too bad.

I personally expect most offroad race cars to get rolled sooner or later. This looks like a pretty mild one.

What stopped the car? bent front drum?
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
TimS

Post by TimS »

Agreed. Not too bad and definitely fixable. Question is where I need to put my efforts and money? My daughter will quickly be lost to the world and her car needs parts.

The front drum cracked. We drove it to the trailer on three wheels, but my brother hadn't thought of that. He hasn't been around VW's much. And antenna was gone.

Thanks for your help, dusty.
race-desert

Post by race-desert »

Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

TimS wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:48 am Agreed. Not too bad and definitely fixable. Question is where I need to put my efforts and money? My daughter will quickly be lost to the world and her car needs parts.

The front drum cracked. We drove it to the trailer on three wheels, but my brother hadn't thought of that. He hasn't been around VW's much. And antenna was gone.

Spend the time and parts with your daughter, before long you will be just an occasional phone call. Cats in the cradle.
TimS

Post by TimS »

race-desert wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 5:02 pm look at post #25
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/thread ... tc.123924/
Thanks for the heads up. Not sure what they are talking about in that thread. My car is of similar era, late 80's.

Only famous person I knew to drive it was me. :wink:
TimS

Post by TimS »

Leatherneck wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 5:08 pm
TimS wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:48 am Agreed. Not too bad and definitely fixable. Question is where I need to put my efforts and money? My daughter will quickly be lost to the world and her car needs parts.

Spend the time and parts with your daughter, before long you will be just an occasional phone call. Cats in the cradle.
The struggle is real. Not enough time for three project cars and a job.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

The thread on RDC linked by race-desert is a discussion between old 1600 buggy class racers from the 1980s. A pic is posted of Tim's buggy and it is identified as having been built by Dave Parsons of Trick Racing. "12LaPaz" says it was his car at one time.

Just a discussion of some history behind Tim's car.
Richard
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
TimS

Post by TimS »

dustymojave wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 11:28 pm The thread on RDC linked by race-desert is a discussion between old 1600 buggy class racers from the 1980s. A pic is posted of Tim's buggy and it is identified as having been built by Dave Parsons of Trick Racing. "12LaPaz" says it was his car at one time.

Just a discussion of some history behind Tim's car.
Ok thanks for the translation. Those last two posts weren't there last night. That is cool to know where it was built and who owned it.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Aint just any ol' junker. I've always thought it's pretty cool. But 1600 buggies are my favorite race car.
Richard
Retired Fabricator
TimS

Post by TimS »

dustymojave wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 9:08 pm Aint just any ol' junker. I've always thought it's pretty cool. But 1600 buggies are my favorite race car.
I agree. Another vehicle with a strong spirit.

Both rear upper tubes will need replaced. Good thing my bender will be here Wednesday.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

TimS wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 10:26 pm Both rear upper tubes will need replaced. ...
:?: :?: :?:
Richard
Retired Fabricator