alternator wiring help

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
sandman1

alternator wiring help

Post by sandman1 »

Hey guys I took my motor out of my 73 street bug and put it in a off road bug I just got! But I've never seen this kind of alternator and I don't know how to wire it this alternator not (generator)___ has 3 male prongs sticking out of it where is the usual alternator has 1 prong for the idiot light, how do I wire this?___________________
Marc

Re: alternator wiring help

Post by Marc »

That's an early, externally-regulated alternator. Can't be used without a regulator, which you should find under the LR seat of your Beetle.
http://images.thesamba.com/vw/classifie ... 733427.jpg

The regulator has four wires coming off it; the blue wire is NOT used, you connect the warning light wire to the red wire (D+). The green is DF, and the brown is D-.
Last edited by Marc on Sun May 22, 2011 10:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Sounds like you have an external regulator.

sandman1

Post by sandman1 »

That helps thanks! Back to the old car to get parts
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

sandman1 welcome to the dirtpile. Get a chance post some info and pics on what your working on. Any other questions you have we might be able to help you out with just let us know, we are here to help: help with answers, help spend your money, help you have a good time!