Tube mounted beam queary...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
motorbreath53

Tube mounted beam queary...

Post by motorbreath53 »

So, in an effort to gain more tie rod clearance, the tubes from my chassis that run to the beam were run narrower than would be ideal. (as is common practice right? But how narrow is too narrow? I have about 9" of unsupported beam...

The more I look at it, the more concerned i'm feeling. I could do a gusset from the end of the beam to the bend I created for the tie rod, but would that "dead tube" gusset be enough? Granted, the Beam is somewhat oversize as far as tubing goes... maybe that will help... but i'm curious;

For you guys with tube mounted beams, how much "unsupported" beam do you have?

In other words, How many inches from the last chassis tube to the trailing arms "dust ring"?
Baja5 was right...
Leatherneck

Re: Tube mounted beam queary...

Post by Leatherneck »

My 2cents is gusset the beam ( see Busks) and run a vertical tube as close to the tie rod so both pieces are braced. But see what the geniuses say.
rickosuave1987

Post by rickosuave1987 »

What about something like this? sorry for the crude pic...
maybe.jpg

And remove the X you already have...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
motorbreath53

Post by motorbreath53 »

I had drawn up that exact idea Rick... but the chassis would be coming into the beam at a pretty wide angle.. well over 90*. I feel like that wide of an angle would forfeit the rigidity of the tubing. It would make a great "crush zone" for a front impact, but I don't think it would offer the same longevity in a woop section...

thanks for the ideas though... keep em coming.

Where's all those "mad scientist" types with their load annaylisys programs and 3D CAD drawings?

DG's probably too busy reasearching which window nets offer the best UV protecion... and Getrdone is busy stealing GM powersteering parts from the Target parking lot... Busk? He's no doubt driving his car right now...
Baja5 was right...
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Motor, do you have a head on view?

Lee
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

i did mine like rickO drew..... 'cept i didn't add the short red line.... you can kinda sorta see it in here... the straight ones to the beam are 23" outside to outside. then the angled ones connect to the beam and run to the tunnel thingy.
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
Hedrock

Post by Hedrock »

Herb... looks like the best way to go. I feel like you should at least add the short support from the bend of the lower fram rail to the beam. 9" is an awful lot to be unsupported :lol:
Collecting parts again... No I'm not going to say why!
Baja4

Post by Baja4 »

Only my opinion, but do something for sure. Use to have about 7 inches of unsupported beam. Bent the front beam bad after some fair ground racing. Probably didn't help it was a latest rage beam. Added a support like Herbie's.
Hedrock

Post by Hedrock »

Here's mine... only about 4" to the outside of the beam. I'm sure it limited my down travel but I probably won't bend a beam. I figure I got the travel back when I put the lifted spindles on... (maybe?).

CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Looking at your new sig line...sounds like you kicked that devil right in the bumpsteers.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Hedrock wrote:Here's mine... only about 4" to the outside of the beam. I'm sure it limited my down travel but I probably won't bend a beam. I figure I got the travel back when I put the lifted spindles on... (maybe?).
I like what Hedrock has done but what if you added a "Tee'd" or "U" reinforced gusset piece between the two clamps to spread some of the potential loading on each of the beam tubes, up and down into both beam tubes; it would end up being kind like the mount the stock beam has where bolts go into the stock frame head. Just an idea…

Lee

Edited to clarify picture. this is kind of what I was talking about, You could also join the ends of the two torsion beams better using some kind of gusset to transfer loading around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ol'fogasaurus on Thu May 19, 2011 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Busk

Post by Busk »

you need to go further out on the beam. when i set up the beam the first time i was in about as far as your tubes are. when i took the beam off, standard 6 over 2" .120 wall cromo beam, it had a pretty serious bow to it. it was definantly tweeked from being unsupported on the ends. on my current set up i added a tube as far out as i could with out hitting the shocks and put a bend in it to clear the tie rod at droop.

motorbreath53

Post by motorbreath53 »

Only 2" huh? Hm... the "small tube" on mine is 2 1/4 .120... the bottom tube is 2 3/8 .188 wall...4130... i'm almost embarassed for your beam :mrgreen: (if you handn't been driving yours for an entire season anyway :roll: )

Thanks for the imput guys. I have all but cut my beam completely back off in a fit of rage. I've got a pretty good picture of what the bottom of the chassis will be. The top should be simple enough.. but i'm going to go out of my way this time to fit my spare tire up front.... (what the hell, its all cut back off anyway :roll: )

Don't hold your breath for updates though.. that Overtime train has come around... and I don't plan on letting it pass...
Baja5 was right...
Busk

Post by Busk »

the new beam in the pic is 2 1/4 .120 top tube and the lower is 2 1/2 .250
Hedrock

Post by Hedrock »

Busk wrote:the new beam in the pic is 2 1/4 .120 top tube and the lower is 2 1/2 .250
So there :lol: