Tim's Green Bug...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
TimS

Re: Tim's Green Bug...

Post by TimS »

IMG_20170725_094733912_HDR-800x450.jpg
IMG_20170725_102405908_HDR-800x450.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Aha! I see why round tube and tab is easier than square.

Passenger seat mount took away any fun I was having today. I designed it all wrong. I had square tube and was trying to use a welded in nut inside the tube. But now there is absolutely no play in any of the bolts, so I stripped one of the nuts partially and had a heck of a time. It was a very poor design choice. It is fixed now, but that is my only progress today. Well, except for the rear bar. I drilled it out, shaped it, and put it in place. Tacked it in for now. I want to get it driving again, then i will seal up that area.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

TimS wrote:Aha! I see why round tube and tab is easier than square.

Passenger seat mount took away any fun I was having today. I designed it all wrong. I had square tube and was trying to use a welded in nut inside the tube. But now there is absolutely no play in any of the bolts, so I stripped one of the nuts partially and had a heck of a time. It was a very poor design choice. It is fixed now, but that is my only progress today. Well, except for the rear bar. I drilled it out, shaped it, and put it in place. Tacked it in for now. I want to get it driving again, then i will seal up that area.
I need to seal up the shock holes on mine before the trip.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
TimS

Post by TimS »

Passenger seat mount is painted and passenger seat Installed for good.

Dust free is nice, Cameron. If I get time, I want to do a positive pressure cabin.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Be sure to allow for flow-through ventilation so you don't suffocate or experience CO poisoning. SOME outside air is a good thing even in freezing cold or severe dust. I expect I'm preaching at the Deacon, but others on here might not understand this issue up front. That issue is why 1971 and later Bugs have a vent in the back edge of the front hood and that funky air box and little ducting under it, and the outhouse vents behind the 1/4 windows.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

New battery mount cuts into cargo area some, but protects the battery much better. I've had the batteries off the floor in my Baja Bugs since 1974. Needs a box to keep anything form touching acid or shorting the terminals and cable ends.

That battery pic also shows the cage tube through the floor much more clearly than before too. The issue is that there needs to be a larger area of connection that just welding the sheet around the tube as it passes through. A gusset from the side of the tube to the side of the rear wheel well would help. So would a piece of plate welded around the tube as a flange with another flange piece bolted to it on the other side of the sheet metal. A little caulk would seal it.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
TimS

Post by TimS »

Getting it out of the blood is easy, getting it to let go of ribosomes is a far more complex process involving people in a high pressure 100% oxygen environment. In this environment you have enough time to see a spark and realize it is a spark before your body is consumed by fire. I remember a night way back when when a fairly local hotel had a CO problem. They scattered their guests around the mountain region to all the available spots with a hyperbaric chamber. We had oxygen by the ton scattered around the ER in 2200psi vessels and I was going from patient to patient changing tanks and drawing blood.

I got about 8' of sheet metal welds today.
TimS

Post by TimS »

dustymojave wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:17 pm
That battery pic also shows the cage tube through the floor much more clearly than before too. The issue is that there needs to be a larger area of connection that just welding the sheet around the tube as it passes through. A gusset from the side of the tube to the side of the rear wheel well would help. So would a piece of plate welded around the tube as a flange with another flange piece bolted to it on the other side of the sheet metal. A little caulk would seal it.
So for the visual learners, I will translate that into a picture.

IMG_20170727_104129032-450x800.jpg

:lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimS

Post by TimS »

IMG_20170727_104303373-800x450.jpg
IMG_20170727_124905116-800x450.jpg
IMG_20170727_124923781-450x800.jpg
TimS

Post by TimS »

IMG_20170727_205916741-800x450.jpg
IMG_20170727_210001382-450x800.jpg
TimS

Post by TimS »

Came out okay but by the end of it I was getting frustrated. Should be strong. Will be dustproof after seam sealer. Found a crack in my tunnel down 1/2 way both sides. Threw more metal at it. It seems to have stuck.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

GO Tim Go!
I'm Loving it!
Got sh!t to to and places to be!
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

Mikey likes it!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
TimS

Post by TimS »

And for the engineer types, I am really banking on the strength of that beam and catilevering the loads back to the rear suspension and past the seats in the other direction. Eventually I hope to tie this in up front, but for now I will load it tail heavy front light.

I got a massive forhead burn from doing my spot welding on the tube joint between the cage and he body. My helmet wouldn't fit.

Battery is mounted. Im running out of steam, but hope to get the seat mount done today. That will be the end of this stage's welding and i can be drivable with quick and clean efforts scattered sporadically through next week. Maybe even Sunday, but household chores need done.
TimS

Post by TimS »

IMG_20170728_122852001-800x450.jpg

IMG_20170728_123311589-800x450.jpg

IMG_20170728_123325270-800x450.jpg