Tim's Green Bug...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
kyle_pc_75

Re: Subaru engine mount... project.

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

ts39136 wrote:Sooo... I already told you that I think too much.... And I have much time waiting on parts... And I needed a way to keep rotational loads off a HALF of a urethane bushing (because I won't be able to use a rear tab) while allowing it to be installed from an odd angle (so I don't have to trim my frame horn flanges flush)... Here is the latest from the "poor boy" machine shop. The bolt will hold it to the tab, and the tab will hold the bushing straight. Hardened them in the fireplace (and my leftover coffee to quench :? )last night.
What's the specific application?

Kyle
winifredevw

Post by winifredevw »

I think I follow, but just to make sure... The urethane bushings with their outer sleeve are permanently mounted to the mid mount of the trans, but on the underside. The tabs you mentioned will be welded to the under/inside of the frame horns and those parts you welded up will be the inside spacer for the urethanes, plus bolt them to the frame horns?

If so, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put a few small gussets on those tabs.

Don't worry about heat-treating that mild steel, it's a non-issue, plus a waste of coffee. :wink:
TimS

Post by TimS »

winifredevw wrote:The urethane bushings with their outer sleeve are permanently mounted to the mid mount of the trans, but on the underside. The tabs you mentioned will be welded to the under/inside of the frame horns and those parts you welded up will be the inside spacer for the urethanes, plus bolt them to the frame horns?

If so, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put a few small gussets on those tabs.

Don't worry about heat-treating that mild steel, it's a non-issue, plus a waste of coffee. :wink:
wow, someone understands my jibberish! :shock: You got it. and yes, gussets.

And dont' worry about the coffee, it was full of metal flakes anyway.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
winifredevw

Post by winifredevw »

:lol:

Just keep in mind that this is a work in progress, and just tack-weld as you go. It's much easier to change your mind, (and don't be afraid to), if you don't have everything fully welded. Once your happy with it, then go back and weld it up.
KBWAKESK8

Post by KBWAKESK8 »

winifredevw wrote::lol:

Just keep in mind that this is a work in progress, and just tack-weld as you go. It's much easier to change your mind, (and don't be afraid to), if you don't have everything fully welded. Once your happy with it, then go back and weld it up.
x2 :D
TimS

Post by TimS »

You mean, tack it in until I can post results and all of you very helpful people can help me come to my senses and do the right thing instead of trying to cheap out and get on the trails two days sooner?

Very good advice. Thanks.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Well.... I saw ya'll bashing Herbie for not working, so I wanted to let you know...

I got all my parts in the mail. I cut the inner frame horn flanges and rounded out the inner frame horns with LFH and SAH (lotta heart and small hammer).

Looks like my mid mount bushings are going on top, and the brake lines are going away for now.

Although I was tempted, I didn't weld it up yet :D
TimS

Post by TimS »

Well... I tried it on top, but Mr. Bowden got really upset :? . After four hours this morning, I think I got a plan to get my jollies down under... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Pics soon I hope.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Okay.... In between 12 hours shifts, time with the kids, and puppy sitting, I managed to get this tacked in

What a PIA getting everything to line up. :x But I like it now. :)

Now.... only mid mounts and engine mounts to go :evil:

I came sooooo close to just cutting the frame horns off. :oops:

EDIT--> A question.... Can I use a bus master cylinder for a hydraulic clutch? What bore is good for the right amount of leverage and travel?
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

I dont think any bay's had a haydrolic clutch that didnt come out until the vanagon the rear clutch slave wouldnt be that hard, you would just need the bracket that mounts to the trans and the slave just making sure to make up a soft line or use the plastic line from the vnagon the master might be a little harder to rig up its located on the botom of the stering column.
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
TimS

Post by TimS »

ajdenette wrote:I dont think any bay's had a haydrolic clutch that didnt come out until the vanagon the rear clutch slave wouldnt be that hard, you would just need the bracket that mounts to the trans and the slave just making sure to make up a soft line or use the plastic line from the vnagon the master might be a little harder to rig up its located on the botom of the stering column.
Thanks for noticing my question and answering it but :oops: ... Let me clarify. Can I use an early bus BRAKE master cylinder (22mm bore, I think) in combination with an aftermarket CLUTCH slave cylinder? Just wondering what the leverage / stroke would be like. Do you know how big a bore a typical clutch slave cylinder is?

And don't tell Letherneck, but I turned his arms upside down and look... :idea: (At full droop)
arm test fit-1.jpg
arm test fit-2.jpg
This leaves the shock mounts on the bottom of the arm, but I'm going to have to make new mounts anyway...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BAJA-IT

Re: Tim's baja projects... (Formally Subaru engine mount)

Post by BAJA-IT »

My CNC master for the CNC slave is 3/4" bore, which would = 19mm. Not sure how it would work with the 22mm bore of the bus brake master. More fluid, less pedal travel?
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
TimS

Post by TimS »

BAJA-IT wrote:My CNC master for the CNC slave is 3/4" bore, which would = 19mm. Not sure how it would work with the 22mm bore of the bus brake master. More fluid, less pedal travel?
Great!! Type 1 brake master cylinder it is..... I actually have one of those. :)
TimS

Post by TimS »

Actually, While I'm asking questions... Can I spot weld some washers onto the spring plate to keep alignment? Or would I screw up the temper?

Thanks!
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

years ago when i bought my arms and springplates (used) there were washers welded to the springplates.....
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.