Tim's Green Bug...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
TimS

Re: Tim's Green Bug...

Post by TimS »

The bug is parked! Holy heck! I was driving home from work today and happened to look back at one of my cage tubes that is connected the the right torsion from the top. It was moving sideways by about 1/2" total.

Apparently the "wheel bearing" noise I kept hearing more when I turn one way was not a wheel bearing noise at all! I can move the rear wheel for and aft approx 1/4-1/2" by hand and the torsion tube moves with it. Oops. The noise is probably the CV and axle binding as it keeps the wheel from falling off.

I can fix this, though. Besides duplicating the truss work that I have done on the left side from underneath, I am working up a design in my head for some tube work to tie into the b pillar and will probably also take some wheel weight and transfer it to the engine sub frame and tunnel via transverse truss.

Like I told Ed. I am just going to throw metal at it until it complies. :lol: Now that the seriousness of the problem is staring me in the face, it's easier to justify cutting into the body and messing with my cozy dust free cabin. It's kind of refreshing to not wonder how much is holding it up but instead know(!) that the torsion tube is little more than a dust cover for the torsion bar.

It will be stronger than stock when done. Just need to dedicate the time. Summer is here and I will have to setup shop outside. Hopefully the wind doesn't blow all my argon away. I will probably use YouTube for the updates as it's my least time consuming method to post visuals. End of July will be the time. I'm hoping to get 4-5 days of good work on it. I have metal and consumables.

I may have to pack light for the big trip this year depending on how much of the interior I tear apart and how many seats I get reinstalled.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Tim, years ago it was recommend to me by a (trained by VW in the ACVW days) mechanic that the torsion tube should be connected to the pan at least a 2 additional places per side to augment the cast "hook's" support and connection to the pan at the end of the tube. That "hook" is known to break causing nasty problems like you are now going through (I would check yours now to see if it/they are still in one piece); one of the reasons "rails" don't usually have the torsion tube breaking problems that often is that they are usually connected in several places to the frame. Other than the tube's connection to the pan at the tunnel, that hook is all you got!
TimS

Post by TimS »

Good advice, Foggy. It is cracked now on the right and displaced badly.

So I have started a precursory cleanout of the back of the bug. In the process I am learning lots of things.

The increased exhaust noise was probably not from the exhaust but from the multiple cracks in the body. Same with the dust intrusion.

Sometime six years ago, I thought that I could bridge a 4" wide gap with silicone chaulk spread over duct tape. It worked, until the gap grew. At least access to the torsion housing will be easy.

Those tools that you put in your car "because it might come in handy" don't come in handy at all once you forget they exist. They migrate to the low spots and add extra weight.

Antifreeze is not a rust inhibitor.

It wasn't my body that was flexing, it was the car flexing under the body. Hence the cracks and whatnot.

It was a good thing I used a side post battery because I was worried about a hard hit pushing it into something metal. It moved, about 2" upward along with the floor.

I have done a lot of good upgrades once I realized what I was doing, just not enough of them.

My cage tie in's cracked not because the body was moving, but because the cage was moving. The places I tied into "because they were strong" were the places I should have strengthened.

I found a $28 headlamp still in the box. :Lol:

When I told Ed Horton that I had no more paper towels, that was a lie. I actually had three more rolls.

Bagels definitely, absolutely, and without any doubt in my mind keep far far longer than bread... And they still don't taste half bad.

When I asked Brandon for a 20 amp fuse and also when I had to do some bypass wiring because "I didn't have one", there was actually a new unopened box of 10, 20 amp fuses in the seat pocket the whole time.

Six screw drivers. Did I really need six screwdrivers? Same with pliers. Found a bunch of those.

I'm sure there are other lessons for me to learn. Right now I am seeing some doable fixes and opportunities for upgrade. My knowledge and skills are upgraded from the last time I've even seen some of this metal.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
TimS

Post by TimS »

For the sake of my sanity I will be dividing the workload into three distinct missions.

1. B pillar and back. This will be the most time consuming. 3-5 days of dedicated effort.

2. A pillar to b pillar, this will be a fairly quick job but will require taking the bug out of service.

3. A pillar to beam. This will also be time consuming but will be something that I can do small chunks at a time and stay running in the meantime.

My goal will be to have mission #1 finished before August. #2 finished before mid August. And #3 finished before June of next year.
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

I was pretty sure I got all of my stuff out after the 2015 GCA, guess I was right.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

TimS wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:26 pm Good advice, Foggy. It is cracked now on the right and displaced badly.

So I have started a precursory cleanout of the back of the bug. In the process I am learning lots of things.

The increased exhaust noise was probably not from the exhaust but from the multiple cracks in the body. Same with the dust intrusion.

Sometime six years ago, I thought that I could bridge a 4" wide gap with silicone chaulk spread over duct tape. It worked, until the gap grew. At least access to the torsion housing will be easy.

Those tools that you put in your car "because it might come in handy" don't come in handy at all once you forget they exist. They migrate to the low spots and add extra weight.

Antifreeze is not a rust inhibitor.

It wasn't my body that was flexing, it was the car flexing under the body. Hence the cracks and whatnot.

It was a good thing I used a side post battery because I was worried about a hard hit pushing it into something metal. It moved, about 2" upward along with the floor.

I have done a lot of good upgrades once I realized what I was doing, just not enough of them.

My cage tie in's cracked not because the body was moving, but because the cage was moving. The places I tied into "because they were strong" were the places I should have strengthened.

I found a $28 headlamp still in the box. :Lol:

When I told Ed Horton that I had no more paper towels, that was a lie. I actually had three more rolls.

Bagels definitely, absolutely, and without any doubt in my mind keep far far longer than bread... And they still don't taste half bad.

When I asked Brandon for a 20 amp fuse and also when I had to do some bypass wiring because "I didn't have one", there was actually a new unopened box of 10, 20 amp fuses in the seat pocket the whole time.

Six screw drivers. Did I really need six screwdrivers? Same with pliers. Found a bunch of those.

I'm sure there are other lessons for me to learn. Right now I am seeing some doable fixes and opportunities for upgrade. My knowledge and skills are upgraded from the last time I've even seen some of this metal.
Aaaaaah... yeah!

From what I think I read you have more than just A-pillar to torsion tube problems. No offence meant but wouldn't it be easier to start over with a new rig? Cracks in the body, my goodness!

I learned a lot this year when putting my seats in my black buggy and I told it to XXX (I forget his name this minute) who is building a super glass bodied off-road, beautiful toy that if I started over I would do a couple of things differently plus... violate one engineering rule:

The body lift I built is good... much better then the commercial ones just because it supports both the pan and the body in a 360° parameter (Ignore the pedal thing as I wouldn't get into that again) of thicker materials.

The second thing, which drives the violation of engineering principles, a flaw dealt with the 1" square tubing I put in the body mount gutter from the underneath side. When I was fitting the seats I was getting in and out often and had others help me with the fit check getting in and out and, I did not have the pan and the body + body lift all bolted together. I sometime later noticed that the 1" square tube in the body mount gutter had bent some; yes I could pull it back into shape but it wasn't doing all I wanted it to do. One other thing I didn't do was to extend the 1" square tubing up the rear body mount to the tunnel like I now think I should have.

I like the idea but instead of a 1" X 0.095 wall square tube for the body to mount to but now I think I would go with a 1 X 2 X 0.095 wall rectangular tube or maybe a 1 X 3" X 0.095 wall rectangular tube assuming they made one. The rectangular tube could then hang beneath the body and could be used as a rock slider or a sacrificial piece could be added to the underside that to protect the basic construction. There is one drawback to it... the nuts that tie the whole thing together would be facing down and extending in a way that they could be susceptible to damage or hanging up on things like trees or other nasty things.

Here is where the violation to the basic principal comes in. I would open up the side of the rectangular tube and put the head of the bolt there, with the shank and threads pointing up, then weld it is place and close the hole(s) up. I would then use either a locking nut or add a second jam nut (acorn nut?). Normally you have the nut on the bottom so if the nut loosens up and drops off... the bolt is still there doing some holding in place. A lot of work but it may be worth it. The other option would be to remove the body mount galley and replace it with a 2 X 4 X XXX rectangular tube to be the body mount and the pan's floor mount.

I would also tie the torsion tube to the pan in at least 2 additional places per side and maybe use the body lift as the attachment device and use a fastenered contact to the torsion tube so the lift can be removed.

Over-kill, I'm not so sure about that, I want that potential pan and pan to body flex out of there; as you start to cut the body up you are changing the paths of stress to some or more than some of an extent. There are times that a light duty recreational Baja takes as much or more abuse than a class racer does :wink: , after all, stupid is catching.

How you mount the cage also can make difference but still, there is the possibility of the basics to get damaged based on how the cage is attached to the pan and the wracking of the stock pan when the body is modified.

Again, I am basing this on a glass body that has no real structure to it and also to the damn-age that I hear about from Baja owners.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Yes I gots a lot of problems.

Yes it would be better to start from scratch.

But I have a goal of going on our annual trip and that will not happen with a bug in pieces.

Body cracks are of my own doing.

I am sharing this for others to learn as well as my own record of thought. It ain't pretty, but it's my situation and I'm salvaging it the best i can and learning a lot for when I do get the opportunity to start from scratch.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

I guess I had better ask how long you have had something when you offer up something to eat :mrgreen:

Glad it got you home with no real problems, would have been ugly to break in half while you were pulling me out of the sand trap I was in :shock:

Mine is in the shop now and will be getting the oil pan modified and skid plates mounted.

Ed
TimS

Post by TimS »

You didn't die. That's all that matters, Ed. I'm sure it tasted good at the time. I'm not sure of the bagels were from my trip to Blackfoot River or from the nevada trip.

Herbie, I still need to clean under the passenger seat, but I think I have had that seat out since your visit so you are probably correct.

I did find my bag of mine ore with the assay tag still in place.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

LOL Not only did I NOT die I enjoyed dinner :D It is good to have some stash on board just incase :lol:

Ed
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

:... I'm salvaging it the best i can and learning a lot for when I do get the opportunity to start from scratch."

You will do that, I can guarantee that from my own experiences.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:42 pm :... I'm salvaging it the best i can and learning a lot for when I do get the opportunity to start from scratch."

You will do that, I can guarantee that from my own experiences.
Perfect. Sounds like I'm on the right track then. Thanks for telling me that in many different ways and even highlighting it in yellow. I understand. It will never work.
n8ball

Post by n8ball »

Did somebody say "dual Sportster"?

I have drooled over this one a couple times.
IMG_6282.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Oh man I am cracking up over here. That's one of the funnier mental pictures I have developed in a while. Good writing Tim. Cleaning out the car is not unlike cleaning out the fridge. LOL

So glad we did not go sweep the race course at speed with the Green Bug. That might have been interesting to get a car out of the deep silt around. even where you recovered Ed would not have been a fun deal to recover from. Glad she is where she will get the much needed love she needs right now.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
TimS

Post by TimS »

The only thing that bike is lacking is a BBQ grill and a cooler, otherwise a perfect specimen.

My kind of love is a little crude and unscripted, but she's gonna take what I got and like it. Beast mode activated!