Tim's Green Bug...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
TimS

Re: Tim's baja projects...

Post by TimS »

Well... Got everything lined up this morning on the trailing arm, tacked it up. Measured really well. Started tacking some more, then I got carried away and started to finish weld the thing. Everything looks good! Got about 1/3 of the way through and one of my HF grinders quit. I certainly got my monies worth out of it over 9 years or so.

I ended up having to extend the lower tube and overlapped it with a 4" section of 1.5" .120, with four plug welds plus the end weld. I also took out the sheet metal between the tubes and will replace it with 1/8" plate. Might be a little heavier than the other arm, but not much and it will definitely hold.

I'm also going to reenforce where the shocks will mount, after seeing how bent the previous mounts were. Looks like I'll be able to use my existing upper shock mounts :lol: , but we'll see when I get closer.

All is going well so far, just time and patience to go.

Sorry no picture... after a fourteen hour shift and 5 hours on this, it's time for BED!

EDIT--> Picture
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Good News!!! My wife says that I stink up the house too much and I "have to" :evil: build a detached shop. Someday.

Also here is a before after of the right trailing arm. I still have to de-slag-i-fy things. I'm very happy to be almost done with this. I must admit that I'm not all that patient with the fabrication side of things. The welding went good though, I'm very confident that it is stronger than before I touched it (If it is or not is yet to be seen).

(Alignment looks way toed in in the picture, but I assure you it's just a smidge of toe in and it's sitting in the front of the adjustment slots 8) )

right arm after-1.jpg
Now time for shock mounts...grrrrr :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Looking good. Glad your getting them straightened out. While your welding on it put some metal on the bearing housing, I never liked it just hanging out there with no bracing or backing. Your choice but since your making them better..... :D
TimS

Post by TimS »

Leatherneck wrote:Looking good. Glad your getting them straightened out. While your welding on it put some metal on the bearing housing, I never liked it just hanging out there with no bracing or backing. Your choice but since your making them better..... :D
Glad you feel they are in good hands.

I was actually considering the gussetting on the back of the bearing housing this morning. I'm going to try to get the shocks lined up and figure where the shock mount will go then fill in the "triangle" between the bearing housing and the three tubes with a plate to support the tope tube/shock mount and the bearing housing. It's either that or using the triangle brace to extend the spring plate mount with relief for the CV and axle, then put the shock mount directly on top of that, then a vertical triangle gusset to tie in the bearing housing. The 1/4"+ steel on the end of the arm is bowed, significantly, so something must be done, especially becuase the baja will weight more than your rail ever would have.

I keep saying I should clean the metal flakes in the garage, but then I find some more metal work to do. Someday I'll be driving again. :D

Thanks for the comment.

I'll be starting my 7 days off of work, so I might be able to get some more accomplished.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Not much done. Super cold!!

I did measure my shocks and my proposed shock mounting location, upper shock mount will work :D and allow for approx 2" more downward travel in case I ever win the lottery and can get 930's.

And, getting WAY ahead of myself, I picked out an accent color for the fenders, rear clip, wheels, and moving suspension parts. The choice was international blue or ford blue, I think this is international. Not sure who won, miney or mo. Wife says she'd go with black, but I said it's supposed to be loud and annoying. "Yeaup, you got it."
rear clearance bump-10.jpg
Also, did some thinking on the bump stops. I have a plan for urathane scrubbers (snubbers?) with associated beef-up of the trailing arms.

And of coarse I didn't plan on the fender clearance. I'm thinking that I could make this work with the fiberglass fenders if I stick with the smaller tires. Some trimming required, I'm sure.
rear clearance bump-03.jpg
Nothing too exciting, but progress all the same.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Well.... working diligently, but then I steped out of the garage and lost all ambition, so I'm posting here to try to get myself excited again.

I did do some rust repair, which is an oddity for me, at the back of the heater channel in front of the spring plate. Came out pretty well, but no picture.

Also added some support to the back of the bearing housing. Funny how the shape of my baja is directly proportional to what is in the "drop" bin at the local steel shop.
trailing arm again arrrgh-1.jpg
And I started to work out the shocks. Looks like I will be able to use my original fender holes and shock boots. I still need to box these in and put the 1/2" bungs on there.
trailing arm again arrrgh-2.jpg
That's all for now. Hopefully I will stand up now,go into the garage, and work on the other shock mount... Hopefully.

EDIT--> It worked! Got the other one done, not so bad cause I already made two of each of the plates. Arms are ready for prep and paint!!! :lol:
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

What's with the 2 shades of gray?
TimS

Post by TimS »

Lotrat wrote:What's with the 2 shades of gray?
Kind of bland, huh? I was kind of thinking that the wheels should be construction yellow, just to break things up.

I'm stoked!! Got called in to work tonight on a premium (just got home), I should be able to order the rest of my shopping list!! :lol:

Grease seals
Axle clips
Brake pedal clip
CV grease
one outer wheel bearing
rear wheel spacers
Brake lines
e-brake handle
primer/paint
antifreeze (google it if you don't know what this is)
radiator hoses
bowden tube and spare
bump stops
speedometer cable
antisieze

I put this list here, cause I might just lose it. Or maybe I've already lost it! :twisted:
TimS

Post by TimS »

Parts ordered :lol: I hope I didn't forget anything.

I also got the brake lines routed, brake tabs welded on, the trailing arms sanded, and two primer coats on each 8) But... In all my excitement I forgot that I'll need to make a bump stop pad. :x

My wife ( :shock: ) and I mounted the engine last night. It only cost me a white shirt, which I will have to buy today. I removed the pressure plate and clutch because this is just a test fit.

Here is how the motor mounts line up with the new frame horn.
engine mount design-1.jpg
And I got the almighty engine mounts started. The top part is purposefully too long. Should be plenty strong enough :mrgreen:
engine mount design-2.jpg
Also been thinking of the rear cage now. After all this, I'm tempted to just reatatch my old rear cage with a better mounting system. We'll see how the energy is flowing. I still need to build a front bumper, hopefully do some cage work, and extend the side bars before May 21st (My goal to be up and running). And in the mean time I have to make a Subaru harness conversion for a freind of mine.
Qurtys Lyn

Post by Qurtys Lyn »

ts39136 wrote: Also been thinking of the rear cage now. After all this, I'm tempted to just reatatch my old rear cage with a better mounting system. We'll see how the energy is flowing. I still need to build a front bumper, hopefully do some cage work, and extend the side bars before May 21st (My goal to be up and running). And in the mean time I have to make a Subaru harness conversion for a freind of mine.
If it's done by then, you can bring it down to the Wendover race and Prerun with us, and use it as a shakedown. :D
Fusername's evil twin

'72 Std Beetle - 1641 CC
BRAT Motorsports #936
TimS

Post by TimS »

Sounds good to me :lol: :lol:

Are the dates you posted a while back definite?

Thanks.
Qurtys Lyn

Post by Qurtys Lyn »

ts39136 wrote:Sounds good to me :lol: :lol:

Are the dates you posted a while back definite?

Thanks.
Probably 75% definite. :lol:
Fusername's evil twin

'72 Std Beetle - 1641 CC
BRAT Motorsports #936
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

ts39136 wrote: My wife ( :shock: ) and I mounted the engine last night.
Yeah you have to be careful with that!
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

Leatherneck wrote:
ts39136 wrote: My wife ( :shock: ) and I mounted the engine last night.

some guys have all the luck.....
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
TimS

Post by TimS »

:roll: Yeah.... She initially put on 1/2" coarse thread nuts instead of the metric. I pretty lucky it didn't fall and tweak the input shaft :?

Got the left side engine mount closer to being finished.
engine mount one done-1.jpg
I'm going to get the other one to this stage, then do a final measurement check to see that all the bushings are centered (weightless) before final welding the bottom pieces. I'm wishing I had a sand blaster to get the slag from the corners.
engine mount one done-2.jpg