Trailing arms question

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
KBWAKESK8

Re: Trailing arms question

Post by KBWAKESK8 »

Devastator

Post by Devastator »

Thank you for that info and links. I'll combine this with the info on the previous post for my build.
Dev
typ4

Post by typ4 »

A little off topic but the reason I use Marks 5x5 arms is because I wanted to keep the front end down, too much torque with the new engine, so moving the trans back would negate the whole center of gravity reason.
Soon as the boost comes on the front was in the air, any gear or hill, now with the 5x5 it is driveable :D :D

I played with axle mock up and would only gain about 3/4 inch of realistic travel by moving the trans/engine back, too much work anyway.
Fuel injected engines that make torque have a bad habit of removing gear teeth! :shock:
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

typ4 wrote:Fuel injected engines that make torque have a bad habit of removing gear teeth!
Yeah they do. Especially with ginormous paddle tires. I keep proving this to myself over and over and over.... :roll:
I've decided on 4x4 trailing arms. Currently I'm programming the CNC's to make the trailing arm end plates, bearing carriers, and front spindle frames. Already machined the front spindles and all the tube to rod end adapters.
I'll try to take and upload some pictures pretty soon.
Stay tuned....
Dev
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

OK,
So, I have some pictures of the CNC parts I've made for this conversion, and I'll try to get them on here before weeks end.
I have the engine and transmission out, and am preparing to cut out th old mounts.
I bought a nifty sedan to bus transmission adapter kit for my sandrail. It looks like this rear transmission mount uses the engine studs to hold the engine to tranny, and mount. Is this normal or am I missing something? Could someone on here point me to a thread that shows some, inspirational, pictures of 091 mounts on a sandrail?
Thanks in advance.
Dev
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

Some pics:
slug.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Devastator on Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Are you going to make matching round bearing retainers as well. It would look great. Too bad nobody would see it unless it was broken.

Mark
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

No, I'm just going to use stock bearing retainers. There's a rectangular plate that goes between the bearing retainer and the housing in the place of the, former, backing plate, which holds my disc brake caliper. I have more time and CNC's available than money for this project.
Crash wrote:Too bad nobody would see it unless it was broken.
HAHAHA. I was just making that same comment this morning. That's why I'm taking pictures. The front spindles will be much more visible and a future source of conversation I'm sure.
Can you point me to a post or set of pics that shows a type1 to 091 transmission conversion? I'm pressure washing the frame this week and cutting out the current, type1, transmission mounting system, in hopes of putting the 091 in this weekend.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Are you cutting out the picklefork???

There are several styles availabe from the standard soft mount, solid mount and 10 degree; nose down mount, just to name a few.

Lee
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

That depends on what the picklefork is. If you mean the stock 2 stud mounting plate for the stock nosecone mount, then, no. I'll have to re drill it though, since my current mount bolts directly to the type 1 tranny's nosecone, so the bolt pattern is not the same. If you are referring to the "horns", then, still no. I've been running with a steel plate that bolts into the 4 lower bolts on the intermediate housing of the type 1 trans. I'll be cutting all of this out, since the 091 won't fit with it still in there.
As I mentioned earlier, I'm now to posting here, so is there a way I can search for photos of thes installs, without getting every 091 question in the forums?
Here's a picture that barely shows the existing mounts:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Devastator

Post by Devastator »

I like that! Where does that rear mount bolt to the trans? Does that mounting system move the trans back?
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

The pickle fork I was taking about was the "horns".

I don't know if this will help or not. Photos are pretty much in a reverse order.

Completed 091 in bug pan.

Nose cone hole during forming of body lift.

Nose cone into body lift looking forward.

Nose cone location with standard hard mount. 10 degree mount places the nose cone in the tunnel.
Crash

Post by Crash »

It mounts in new holes in the bell housing and to the lower case bolts of the tranny. It does not normally move the tranny back but it would be easy to do with this mount. It tips the tranny 10 degrees to raise the engine and get the shifter into the stock location on the tunnel if you have one.

Mark
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

Thanks Lee. Nice pics. :)
Thanks for the info Mark. I don't plan on moving the trans back, but if it has to move back for mount fabrication, I can afford about 3/4" before I have problems with the turbo exhaust hitting the rear engine cage. I like that 10 deg tip feature, especially since my horns are bent slightly, (from years of abuse). You have to drill the bell housing for that mount don't you? I'll try to get a pic of my trans mount tonight, so I can post it here. I don't like the idea of it tying into the trans through the engine studs, although, I might be looking at it wrong?